bumper MOUNTS front 2020 SuperDuty F350 100% same as 2019? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember when the hood ornaments went away as too harmful to pedestrians, before that some were on a spring loaded mount.
yeah, the Mercedes tristar was always on a spring loaded base, at least back to the 1960s... I think 'w124' series from the late 80s/early 90s were the last to use these, later cars went to flush badges and big hood grill tri-stars.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the problem with the hood ornaments ( Mercedes anyway ) was that they were so collectible.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think the problem with the hood ornaments ( Mercedes anyway ) was that they were so collectible.
That's why the remaining stand-up ornaments such as the one from Rolls-Royce power-retract, but pedestrian safety is also an issue (and the Rolls-Royce ornament is spring-loaded for that reason).

Pedestrian safety is presumably a problem with the grill protector bars of aftermarket bumpers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's why the remaining stand-up ornaments such as the one from Rolls-Royce power-retract, but pedestrian safety is also an issue (and the Rolls-Royce ornament is spring-loaded for that reason).

Pedestrian safety is presumably a problem with the grill protector bars of aftermarket bumpers.
"Pedestrian safety" is only an issue if you hit someone!

My point is.... i myself personally am a very alert, sober, non-texting driver, and have never gotten anywhere near hitting anyone, or anything.

If the Aluminess bumper was a real menace to anyones safety - i think they would be outlawed. They are not.

If you have links to any studies about how data has shown that aftermarket bumpers are a real Pedestrian safety issue - I would like to read them, in all seriousness. Of course, the sample size would be too small, and so likely not easy to research. I get that.

J.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #25

The Wikipedia Bullbar article is a good overview, with some linked sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

My point is.... i myself personally am a very alert, sober, non-texting driver, and have never gotten anywhere near hitting anyone, or anything.
Of course, most of us will never hit anyone. And if we do, it will likely be someone jaywalking, so it will be their own fault. There are lots of product design features which address problems that will likely never happen to us, and protect people from themselves; that's the reality of modern life. For instance, there would be no need for airbags if people would just wear effective seatbelts like a race car has - instead, we have minimal belts that many people still don't wear, and expensive explosive devices surrounding us to protect us from our own laziness and stupidity. And we can still drive an old car without airbags, and you can rip the airbags out of your own vehicle and no one will stop you or care... until you sell it. So, unless there are local regulations to the contrary, you can put what you want on your vehicle, regardless of the reasons that you can't buy one that way.

I suppose if anyone complains about the bars on your aftermarket bumper, you can just point to the push bars on some police cars and say "it must be okay".
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #26

Quote:
The Wikipedia Bullbar article is a good overview, with some linked sources.

Of course, most of us will never hit anyone. And if we do, it will likely be someone jaywalking, so it will be their own fault. There are lots of product design features which address problems that will likely never happen to us, and protect people from themselves; that's the reality of modern life. For instance, there would be no need for airbags if people would just wear effective seatbelts like a race car has - instead, we have minimal belts that many people still don't wear, and expensive explosive devices surrounding us to protect us from our own laziness and stupidity. And we can still drive an old car without airbags, and you can rip the airbags out of your own vehicle and no one will stop you or care... until you sell it. So, unless there are local regulations to the contrary, you can put what you want on your vehicle, regardless of the reasons that you can't buy one that way.

I suppose if anyone complains about the bars on your aftermarket bumper, you can just point to the push bars on some police cars and say "it must be okay".
All very good points Brian. Appreciated.

The good thing about the Aluminess bumper is that mounting it involves zero modifications to the F350.... and for various reasons I plan on keeping the OEM bumper, so if for any reason i want or need to switch back i simply get a friend to help me unbolt the Aluminess, and bolt back on the Ford bumper. Done.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #27

Quote:
The good thing about the Aluminess bumper is that mounting it involves zero modifications to the F350.... and for various reasons I plan on keeping the OEM bumper, so if for any reason i want or need to switch back i simply get a friend to help me unbolt the Aluminess, and bolt back on the Ford bumper. Done.
This is a similar situation to the replacement of a stock box with a service body or flat deck: the removed stock part should have good resale value because those parts are often damaged and so there is a market for them, but at the same time is good to be able to restore the vehicle to stock for a different use or to sell it later... with those unused parts in pristine condition.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Casita upgraded to 2017 Escape 21
Quote:

If the Aluminess bumper was a real menace to anyones safety - i think they would be outlawed. They are not.

If you have links to any studies about how data has shown that aftermarket bumpers are a real Pedestrian safety issue - I would like to read them, in all seriousness. Of course, the sample size would be too small, and so likely not easy to research. I get that.

J.

But John, What about Datsun trucks running Red Lights? Yea that’s right you had a soft human in the passenger seat to absorb the impact on the way to the bank! 🙀. Couldn’t resist!
Merry Christmas
Marsh
Koi-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
This is a similar situation to the replacement of a stock box with a service body or flat deck: the removed stock part should have good resale value because those parts are often damaged and so there is a market for them, but at the same time is good to be able to restore the vehicle to stock for a different use or to sell it later... with those unused parts in pristine condition.
While driving across Michigan last year I saw a row of pickup boxes, stacked four high and about twenty long, with a sign that said "Out-of-State Pickup boxes". So yes, there is a market for them, I guess in this case to replace those that have rusted out.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Aftermarket bumpers are the rule rather that the exception here in South Texas. When we buy a truck (farm or private) it goes straight to the bumper man. Also a winch on most.

Don't really need them anymore. Most land is cleared and no longer any stubborn bulls to push around. No reason for it, just policy!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi-Kid View Post
But John, What about Datsun trucks running Red Lights? Yea that’s right you had a soft human in the passenger seat to absorb the impact on the way to the bank! 🙀. Couldn’t resist!
Merry Christmas
Marsh
Heya Marsh - Merry Christmas to you too!

How is everything? Busy still modifying that nice Escape 21 of yours?

john