bumper MOUNTS front 2020 SuperDuty F350 100% same as 2019? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question bumper MOUNTS front 2020 SuperDuty F350 100% same as 2019?

bumper MOUNTS front 2020 SuperDuty F350 100% same as 2019?

Hi all - anyone happen to have a pal that works at Ford and happens to know?

I am probably going to buy a 3rd party aluminum front bumper / deer catcher for our forthcoming SuperDuty 2020 F350. (I specifically want aluminum - and i have one picked out)

and i know visually the front bumper looks a little different… but does anyone know for sure if the MOUNTING *points* are 100% *exactly* the same on the 2020 as compared to the 2019?

In other words - will an aftermarket 2019 SD bumper exactly fit onto a 2020 SD?

I ask only as my chosen aluminum bumper manufacturer has not been able to check their 2019 bumper on a 2020 yet, and we want to know if their existing 2019 front bumper design will perfectly fit on my forthcoming 2020.

It is a timing / installation / where they are and where we live issue. Long story that I wont bore you with. :-)

thanks

J.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I would consult with other custom bumper fabricators to see if they have been able to do a fit up yet on the new model. They are the ones that want to be out front on this stuff to sell their products to new truck owners. Places like Fab Fours, Road Armor, etc. Someone out there should have the information you want to know.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I would consult with other custom bumper fabricators to see if they have been able to do a fit up yet on the new model. They are the ones that want to be out front on this stuff to sell their products to new truck owners. Places like Fab Fours, Road Armor, etc. Someone out there should have the information you want to know.
Thanks ..... good idea....

and.... According to Steelcraft 2017-2020 F350 bumpers are the same.

I would not only rely on only this info.

Anyone else have other info? anyone who works for Ford lurking here?

https://www.bumperonly.com/collectio...-front-bumpers

https://steelcraftautomotive.com/app...-rear-bumpers/
Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This sort of information is provided by the vehicle manufacturers to enable aftermarket suppliers to work with their vehicles, particularly in upfitting of commercial vehicles. Front bumpers are not a prime upfitting area - that's mostly bodies mounted on the back of chassis-cabs - but it's still something the vehicle manufacturer might support.

Ford's information service is their Body Builder Advisory Service (BAS); they might answer your question, but even if not it might good to know about this service for other purposes, later. The 2020 editions of several of their publications are out. The new features presentation doesn't mention fit changes for attaching equipment such as bumpers, so that doesn't help. The Layout Book gives dimensions, but only to the external surfaces of the bumpers, not the bumper mounts, although at least the rear mounts are shown in detail in some drawings (without dimensions).

You could compare the drawings of the frame details in the 2019 and 2020 model year layout books, to see if there is a visible change in what the bumper mounts to... although how it fits to the body would be more difficult to determine.

The 2020 SuperDuty BBAS material includes a presentation for a "measuring session" which was held in September... so it is likely that aftermarket supplier had a chance for hands-on examination at that time. A bumper manufacturer claiming 2020 compatibility should have confirmed fit at that session, and you could ask them if they did.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This sort of information is provided by the vehicle manufacturers to enable aftermarket suppliers to work with their vehicles, particularly in upfitting of commercial vehicles. Front bumpers are not a prime upfitting area - that's mostly bodies mounted on the back of chassis-cabs - but it's still something the vehicle manufacturer might support.
Sounds like you've never been to Texas
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sounds like you've never been to Texas
Only a few times.
There are a lot of aftermarket bumpers (and they are common in Alberta), but "upfitting" means adding to a base vehicle to make it a complete vehicle able to perform a function, normally for commercial or industrial purposes. Bumper changes are almost entirely for appearance, and occasionally for off-road clearance or winch mounting. Upfitters add
  • bodies with functions such as tool boxes, flat decks, and accomodation for equipment,
  • equipment such as tow rigs, cranes, hydraulic pumps (mostly for tow rigs and cranes), vacuum pumps, water pumps, and air compressors
  • tanks for water or other fluids, and vacuum tanks for sewage and other waste,
  • towing hitches
  • etc
Aftermarket suppliers - not normally considered upfitters - also supply bumpers, fender flares, light bars, and the million other things you can see at a SEMA show.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've also read somewhere that these "cow-catcher" bumpers defeat safety features engineered into the vehicle and cost the owner more for repairs than OEM. Not sure if you have to wear a camo cap to drive one.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:59 AM   #8

Quote:

Ford's information service is their Body Builder Advisory Service (BAS); they might answer your question, but even if not it might good to know about this service for other purposes, later. The 2020 editions of several of their publications are out. The new features presentation doesn't mention fit changes for attaching equipment such as bumpers, so that doesn't help. The Layout Book gives dimensions, but only to the external surfaces of the bumpers, not the bumper mounts, although at least the rear mounts are shown in detail in some drawings (without dimensions).

You could compare the drawings of the frame details in the 2019 and 2020 model year layout books, to see if there is a visible change in what the bumper mounts to... although how it fits to the body would be more difficult to determine.

The 2020 SuperDuty BBAS material includes a presentation for a "measuring session" which was held in September... so it is likely that aftermarket supplier had a chance for hands-on examination at that time. A bumper manufacturer claiming 2020 compatibility should have confirmed fit at that session, and you could ask them if they did.
Thanks much for the great info Brian.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've also read somewhere that these "cow-catcher" bumpers defeat safety features engineered into the vehicle and cost the owner more for repairs than OEM. Not sure if you have to wear a camo cap to drive one.
I myself can't imagine how this specific Aluminum bumper would "defeat safety features engineered into the vehicle"

From my research this bumper weighs only a little bit more than the stock bumper, but clearly protects the radiator.... and also will somewhat increase the odds that a deer doesnt go up the hood and into the passenger compartment.

Radiator and engine repairs are very costly, of course.

And I can't imagine how a beefy bumper (designed to protect the radiator, etc) could " cost the owner more for repairs than OEM."

https://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-...-winch-bumper/

I have met a few people who own Aluminess front bumpers (on various different vehicles) who have accidentally hit deer on separate occasions, and the Aluminess bumper made the collision a non-issue for the vehicle, rather than a damaged radiator, etc etc etc.

just my 2c.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe what Glenn was referring to and I have read also that any modification to your factory bumpers may/could/can result in your sensors underneath the bumper from properly functioning. If your bumper is made to crumple so that the air bag sensor underneath is activated via the crumpling bumper, how does adding a metal bumper that may not crumple not impact your air bag safety system? Same for those front mounted cargo carriers and motorcycle carriers.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe what Glenn was referring to and I have read also that any modification to your factory bumpers may/could/can result in your sensors underneath the bumper from properly functioning. If your bumper is made to crumple so that the air bag sensor underneath is activated via the crumpling bumper, how does adding a metal bumper that may not crumple not impact your air bag safety system? Same for those front mounted cargo carriers and motorcycle carriers.
I'm pretty confident that all sensors in an airbag are within the airbag structure.

and I'm also pretty confident that they are accelerometers, not "bumper crumpling" sensors.

To the best of my knowledge the only sensor I need to consider is my Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor - in the front bumper.

Also I have spoken in depth with the Aluminess guys... and they said it is as simple as unbolting the OEM bumper, and bolting on theirs. If there were sensors compromised they would most certainly have seen them, and been aware of them.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #12

An inappropriate bumper may increase the damage to the vehicle structure, by transmitting collision forces to the structure directly rather than by sacrificing more easily replaced components. I don't know how valid this is for a pickup.

The big increase in damage is to other vehicles. I was rear-ended by a driver of a compact truck who failed to stop at a pedestrian crosswalk; it would have been only bumper damage of the bumpers hit, but instead the stupid battering ram that idiot had on his truck went right over my bumper and destroyed the hatch and other structure, doing $5000 damage (this was in 2007) to my previously near-perfect condition car.

There are reasons that original equipment bumpers do not resemble aftermarket bumpers. Some aftermarket bumpers are reasonable, but some don't belong on the road.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #13

So many times people will add items that change the height or the the look of their vehicles without thinking of what can happen in an accident. A too high bumper as Brian pointed out can turn a bumper accident into something more damaging or even deadly. Your headlights maybe too high with a lifted vehicle. Even dark tinting can impact your vision.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So many times people will add items that change the height or the the look of their vehicles without thinking of what can happen in an accident. A too high bumper as Brian pointed out can turn a bumper accident into something more damaging or even deadly. Your headlights maybe too high with a lifted vehicle. Even dark tinting can impact your vision.
The bumper I will likely get is no higher than the OEM bumper.

It does not affect headlights, and I'm not lifting the vehicle. I'm not tinting the windows.

So does anyone happen to know anyone who works at Ford? I'm looking for info about the front bumper mounts.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #15

Quote:
An inappropriate bumper may increase the damage to the vehicle structure, by transmitting collision forces to the structure directly rather than by sacrificing more easily replaced components. I don't know how valid this is for a pickup.

The big increase in damage is to other vehicles. I was rear-ended by a driver of a compact truck who failed to stop at a pedestrian crosswalk; it would have been only bumper damage of the bumpers hit, but instead the stupid battering ram that idiot had on his truck went right over my bumper and destroyed the hatch and other structure, doing $5000 damage (this was in 2007) to my previously near-perfect condition car.

There are reasons that original equipment bumpers do not resemble aftermarket bumpers. Some aftermarket bumpers are reasonable, but some don't belong on the road.
I'm sorry you were rear ended Brian - no fun at all. I have been twice, myself.

I am a very cautious and conservative driver myself... I stay alert, I dont text and drive, and give good space in front of the vehicle. I'll do my very best to never hit any other car.

Yes I agree many vehicle modifications make the vehicle less safe for others. I do not think the bumper i am going to add does this at all. Almost the same weight as the OEM bumper. Not steel. Very similar height and shape. Just adds a strong grill protector that is set back from the bumper.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #16

These links were messed up in the posting process - they are abbreviated for display, but the link is the abbreviation, not the working full version.

Presumably the first one was supposed to be https://www.bumperonly.com/collectio...-front-bumpers.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I do not think the bumper i am going to add does this at all. Almost the same weight as the OEM bumper. Not steel. Very similar height and shape. Just adds a strong grill protector that is set back from the bumper.
That's what I would expect - I'm not concerned about your upgrade, John.
The only obvious issue with the Aluminess line is the usual lugs for shackles which appear to stick out the front, destroying rear bumper caps of other vehicles which would otherwise survive a minor collision. The stock truck has tow loops (which strangely are lost in the Aluminess bumper installation) but they are roughly flush with the face of the bumper.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Europe actually has regulations and does tests on simulated pedestrian injuries...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #19

I remember when the hood ornaments went away as too harmful to pedestrians, before that some were on a spring loaded mount.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Are you planning to go deer hunting?