Bye, bye Amazon..... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2022, 11:09 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Hot stock tip, Donna. And DON'T tell anyone, not a soul.

No, I was just making some wordplay. Bye.....and buy. Most of us do buy there.
Hi: HABBERDABBER... By n buy I said Bye to Amazon. I thought I bought a legit Lagun table mount from them but when I opened it up it was a cheap Oriental knockoff. The biggie PITA was that the return center was 24 mi. away. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mr. Bezos greed finally hit me when Amazon charged me $124 yearly fee last month for shopping with them. I cancelled my membership (still cost me $63 penalty as I have used Prime exclusively for shopping and had several charges pending) but going forward, no more fees. Maybe it is personal but paying a fee to shop someplace just irritates me. But we will see what the future holds. Rant over and hopefully others have a different view.
Hi Jim if I have to order from Amazon I will not ever pay for Prime if you ,currently for me order at least 25 shipping is free . It takes a little longer to get items but I can wait . 4-5 days . We do not like Jeff B but get a kick out of his ex wife giving away lots of the cash to help others . Read the other day also Bill Gates ex is also too . In my mind you only need so much money to live on then instead of rockets and huge yachts that cash could sure help a lot of people and will really give you that great high you are looking for . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Jim if I have to order from Amazon I will not ever pay for Prime if you ,currently for me order at least 25 shipping is free . It takes a little longer to get items but I can wait . 4-5 days . We do not like Jeff B but get a kick out of his ex wife giving away lots of the cash to help others . Read the other day also Bill Gates ex is also too . In my mind you only need so much money to live on then instead of rockets and huge yachts that cash could sure help a lot of people and will really give you that great high you are looking for . Pat

Did you know, Pat, that there's a new giant Amazon distrib. center being built in Oxnard, about 30 mi. from you, so we all should see our orders in hours, not days!!!

An we agree, it's good to see what the "ex's" are doing with the money!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Did you know, Pat, that there's a new giant Amazon distrib. center being built in Oxnard, about 30 mi. from you, so we all should see our orders in hours, not days!!!

An we agree, it's good to see what the "ex's" are doing with the money!
Hi Don Guess what and I can’t figure this out In TO huge distribution center sometimes receive items in 3 days now for awhile a few blocks from us on Royal Ave a new distribution center opened with lots of trucks and instead of getting items in morning can be at dark . When I check it says it is coming from there so I don’t know . But sure wish the stores had what we need and I do check there first Pat
Old 02-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #85

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Hi Don Guess what and I can’t figure this out In TO huge distribution center sometimes receive items in 3 days now for awhile a few blocks from us on Royal Ave a new distribution center opened with lots of trucks and instead of getting items in morning can be at dark . When I check it says it is coming from there so I don’t know . But sure wish the stores had what we need and I do check there first Pat

As near as I can figure, Amazon has distribution centers everywhere, but the giant ones, like Oxnard, are where the products actually come from. We have a distrib. center in Camarillo, consisting of 2 formerly vacant large warehouses. I was a ½ block away one day, and suddenly saw almost 2 dozen white small delivery vans, followed by at least a dozen of the blu/gray delivery trucks, rolled out of truck doors and down a ramp. All they do in those buildings is transfer product to the final delivery vehicles.
One of the giant distrib. centers (I think they call them 'fulfillment centers'), with stored product, is what is being constructed in Oxnard. it is much, much larger than the neighboring Proctor & Gamble plant (which is huge).

Ahah: 200 new employees in a million $$ bldg., therefore, raise the membership rates!!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #86

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I once ordered a $9.00 Apple Dongle from Amazon at 8:00 AM with Free Delivery. It was delivered to my front door, over 70 miles away from the Amazon warehouse, that same day at 1:00 PM.

There is no way anyone except Apple & the driver made money on that order.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:15 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
As near as I can figure, Amazon has distribution centers everywhere, but the giant ones, like Oxnard, are where the products actually come from. We have a distrib. center in Camarillo, consisting of 2 formerly vacant large warehouses. I was a ½ block away one day, and suddenly saw almost 2 dozen white small delivery vans, followed by at least a dozen of the blu/gray delivery trucks, rolled out of truck doors and down a ramp. All they do in those buildings is transfer product to the final delivery vehicles.
One of the giant distrib. centers (I think they call them 'fulfillment centers'), with stored product, is what is being constructed in Oxnard. it is much, much larger than the neighboring Proctor & Gamble plant (which is huge).

Ahah: 200 new employees in a million $$ bldg., therefore, raise the membership rates!!!
Hopefully then things will be delivered faster and in the daytime ! Pat
Old 02-09-2022, 08:44 PM   #88

Trailer: 19 - 2021
"Dismantle the Bridge"

More high quality journalism. Whoever wrote that article took some creative license. You just lower the middle section onto a barge, disconnect it, and float it out of the way for a couple of days. I guess anything to get people upset though. If anyone shows you a picture of said bridge, they took it from the big bridge that runs right next to it.

alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:38 PM   #89

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
That's a bridge too far

Yeah, float the bridge out of the way. No problema, as long as you got a bankroll of terazillions of $$$$.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #90

Oh the humanity!

Old 02-09-2022, 10:48 PM   #91

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
Oh the humanity!

I always wanted to be on a crew that did work of that magnitude. Always like working big trees when I was a city forester and pouring molten iron to cast Link Belt crane counterweights when I worked in the grey iron foundry just out of high school. The bigger and hotter the better.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-09-2022, 11:42 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I always wanted to be on a crew that did work of that magnitude. Always like working big trees when I was a city forester and pouring molten iron to cast Link Belt crane counterweights when I worked in the grey iron foundry just out of high school. The bigger and hotter the better.
Iowa Dave
I've used millwrights to move and set heavy equipment for me in an industrial setting. The good ones (that's the only kind there are or they don't keep their job long) use their brains more than their backs, and let the equipment do all the work. I would say at most it would take a dozen workers to set that. Anymore than that and you probably have to worry more about somebody screwing up than something breaking.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:31 AM   #93

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
My last Amazon orders arrived two days late last week. I wondered at the time if I could get the shipping charge refunded. Didn't do anything about it tho.

Just received email that my shipping charge could be used as a credit on next order. Sort of impressed with that.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #94

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Just to get an idea of how wealthy Little Rocket Boy is see how long it would take you and your Great-Great-Great-Great Grand Children to spend a "mere" ONE BILLION DOLLARS at a paltry $1,000 Per Day.

In case you need a job Little Rocket Boy does offer $16.00/hour.

I'm done now.
My math is average but that would be 1,000,000 days at $1000 per day or 2,739 years.

Now for some really scary math:

So if you're spending $10,000 per day that's 100,000 days or 273.9 years so, hmmm... still cannot spend it in one lifetime, so..

If you're spending $100,000 per day (that more than 2 brand new Ferrari's every week) you could do it in about 27.4 years, what's really crazy if that 'little rocket boy' is worth more than $100 Billion so at $100,000 per day, still 274 years to spend it...

You would have to spend $1 Million dollars every single day, for 27.4 years!!! to spend his money...Is this person really worth that much
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #95

The American dream. Son to a single, teenage mother and he worked at McDonalds when he was a teenager.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:10 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The American dream. Single mother working at Amazon fulfillment centre.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:36 PM   #97

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
They've opened the gates to customer service

I had a package, from Amazon, deivered, with NOTHING in it. An empty plastic bubble envelope. I don't know....theft, broken bag seal, something went wrong. This was an inconsequential, inexpensive item that took weeks to get to me. I contacted Amazon via email, and a day or 2 later replacements were delivered. No quibble, no argument...just resent.
That was impressive customer service. Rare to experience, these days.
I'm still trying to figure that one out. The Great Spirit ONLY knows the answer.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:48 PM   #98

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... We do not like Jeff B but get a kick out of his ex wife giving away lots of the cash to help others . Read the other day also Bill Gates ex is also too . In my mind you only need so much money to live on then instead of rockets and huge yachts that cash could sure help a lot of people and will really give you that great high you are looking for .
Bill and Melinda Gates have been jointly giving away billions of the Gates fortune via their foundation for two decades - they had contributed $36B to the foundation by 2018. They divorced last year, but continue to jointly run the foundation and fund charitable causes from that pre-divorce endowment. That's very different from what the above implies about Bill Gates and his "ex".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:14 AM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
"Dismantle the Bridge"

More high quality journalism. Whoever wrote that article took some creative license. You just lower the middle section onto a barge, disconnect it, and float it out of the way for a couple of days. I guess anything to get people upset though. If anyone shows you a picture of said bridge, they took it from the big bridge that runs right next to it.

I'd like to know if Bezos' sailing yacht is too tall to get under the Panama Canal bridge at Panama City. That one seems to be the limit for rich guys' sailing yachts. See "The New New Thing" by Michael Lewis (not me).
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I contacted Amazon via email, and a day or 2 later replacements were delivered. No quibble, no argument...just resent.
That was impressive customer service. Rare to experience, these days.
I don't know if the ability of social media to widely spread unsatisfactory dealings has anything to do with it but I've had a couple of really good customer service experiences.

My Dexter axle had a problem. To be fair it could have been caused by me on rough roads but they didn't quibble, they just sent me a complete new one.

My wife just bought an Instant Pot. Did the initial tests and one didn't work. They asked for a couple of photos of the display settings and sent out a new one. Even though the new one had a return sticker they said to keep the old one. Since the function that doesn't work isn't one she'll ever use, bonus, two pots for the price of one.

So maybe good customer service isn't completely dead.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote