Cataract Removal - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2023, 06:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2012 E19
Wow, I never knew implants were so costly! If I ever start losing teeth, I think a food processor might have to suffice... it's a solution I can afford.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2000 Honda TRX 300
Thanks for the post. I must chime in that my cataract surgery did not go as many I see reporting here. I am 68 had both eyes done and had no apparent complications due to the procedure. My new lenses are in and cataracts are gone as they said. I had to sign a hold harmless waiver for the doctor who had performed 20K + procedures for this. Early in the lasik process I was so glad to have the ability to see better I and siblings had lasik done. This alters the shape of your cornea. I had a discussion with the Surgeon at length to insure that he was aware of this and that extra diligence should be applied to my particular case. ( My sister had a parallel journey with her Cataract Surgery and Lasik procedure). Needless to say, we BOTH had abysmal outcomes and I feel that my eyesight may be ruined. My strong advice is to wait until you can no longer pass a drivers license examination due to vision and let that be the deciding factor in your decision to proceed. I had the luck to take a photograph post surgery and the camera did a rendidion of an image that has enabled me to describe graphically what my vision is now like. It is mostly challenging to read with the double "half" echo skewed text I now see as in this photograph . https://gold-forum.kitco.com/attachm...3&d=1681791595
The Surgeon's office has scheduled me a follow up saying that they believe there is now a wrinkle of the capsule on one eye. Odd however is that the double vision is occuring in Both eyes. I am now wearing glasses with bi-focals to read and find myself wearing a headlamp to get adequate light to enable tolerable vision. They also told me that they could do a laser procedure to ablate the wrinkles they perceive. I hesitate to have them wank around in my eye any further after this abysmal outcome. I will ask them for a referral to a higher echelon of care if they know of one. The rest of my life has been made undue challenging because of this poor outcome. Also odd is that my younger sibling has described to me the same outcome. This surgery is NOT all it is cracked up to be....just my 2 cents.
1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:38 AM   #43

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I had cat surgery done last month on 1 eye. They removed the astigmatism with a laser before implanting lense. My vision improved....but not not very much..still blury but better than before. I was told that I could expect 20/25 in that eye. No way, not even close.
I am having the other eye done on May 2. No astigmatism in 2nd eye, so hopeful for 20/20 in that eye...We will see. I still can see my 5.0 next to my house, and it still makes me smile..
Old 04-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #44

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Some of us already can’t pass an eye test to drive and have to jump through hoops to be able to drive at all. Fortunately, I was born this way, so have learned many adaptations that allow me to live a mostly normal life. I am fortunate not to be blind. I’ve had a great life. I do have the start of cataracts, but they are not an issue yet. Since I can’t hold my eye still, the
laser can’t track my eyes and getting info on their current condition is not very reliable. I have been told there are ways to temporarily stop my eyes for surgery. It is what it is, but I continue to enjoy life.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:20 PM   #45

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Just had my first eye done. You folks that have had it done, how long did it take for the blurred vision to go away? How long until you started to see much better?
Old 04-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #46

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Just had my first eye done. You folks that have had it done, how long did it take for the blurred vision to go away? How long until you started to see much better?
Every day got better and after about a week I was good

Be sure to use your drops and DONT RUB YOYR EYE!!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Mine got better fast but after a month the prescription I got wasn't right so ended up getting it redone a few months later.

There is a common and easily treated side effect that can cause cloudiness so if they don't clear up see your doctor. Mine were fine but a friend had a quick in office- treatment and that fixed hers.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Every day got better and after about a week I was good

Be sure to use your drops and DONT RUB YOYR EYE!!
Good to know. Mine 1st is 4/27 and the 2nd a few weeks later. Thought I had probably screwed up two months spring/summer; cancelled some camping reservations as I don't know how long it would take to heal enough to drive. Thanks

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
... Since I can’t hold my eye still, the
laser can’t track my eyes and getting info on their current condition is not very reliable. I have been told there are ways to temporarily stop my eyes for surgery. It is what it is, but I continue to enjoy life.
Does your wife give you any tongue-in-cheek grief for having a "roving eye"? (No, dear, I wasn't looking at that young woman intentionally...)
Old 04-24-2023, 04:21 PM   #50

The surgeon told me ahead of time that some people experience blurred vision for a while, but my vision was clear by the time I was driven home. Everyone's a bit different. But it really shouldn't last more than a few days at most, I think.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:39 PM   #51

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Does your wife give you any tongue-in-cheek grief for having a "roving eye"? (No, dear, I wasn't looking at that young woman intentionally...)
It’s a small twitch. They don’t swing around. Besides, I’ll keep Barb forever. There’s no chance I’d intentionally hurt her. She is the world’s most amazing person. Ask anyone who really knows her. She might give me grief over the honey do list though!
Old 04-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
Thanks for the post. I must chime in that my cataract surgery did not go as many I see reporting here.
This surgery is NOT all it is cracked up to be....just my 2 cents.
I'm sorry to read that your surgeries did not yield satisfactory results.

Maybe just me but I find your post confusing in that you refer to both LASIK and cataract procedures, which I understand to be two separate procedures for two separate problems(?). Can you be a bit more explicit about which procedure was done first and when you realized problems relative to each procedure?

Is your closing comment in regard to one of the procedures, the other, or the combined effect of both?

I've worn prescription glasses full time for ~60+ years (bifocal for several decades) and I'm OK with that, they yield good vision correction. I've been warned that I'm showing signs of cataract development which will likely eventually require correction.

I'm generally averse to anyone cutting on my eyes so when the time comes (and I'm wondering "why delay?" on the cataract issue) I'm inclined to address the cataract(s) only, being content to avoid the risks of other procedures and continue to wear the glasses which have long been an accepted part of my life and appearance and 'do the job needed'.
Attached Thumbnails
glasses.jpg  
Old 04-24-2023, 07:36 PM   #53

I thought "early in the lasik process" was fairly clear. Sorry, lasik came out in 1991, We were early on in the lasik procedure practice. So it occurred many years ago prior to the cataract procedures. I cannot state scientifically that the lasik caused my issue or if it was the combination. I suspect it is the combination as lasik changes the shape of the cornea. In my case the two procedures do not play well together. Also that statement is a reflection of my sisters opinion as well. She had much more extensive exploration in to the reasons for her abysmal outcome. She had her eyes operated on before I underwent the process and so I was able to confer with her and let her mentor me. I perhaps should have taken her words a bit more seriously. My mother who did not have lasik, had cataract surgery and many years later had a serious problem with her lens which was not supposed to occur. She underwent further correction with 2 renoun surgeons collaberating to get her vision back on track. ( I am uncertain of the exact issue). My closing statement is pointed at the final outcome as of today. Prior to the cataract surgery I was only myopic and now I am having birefringence. I have another appointment this Friday as the Cataract team wanted to allow even more time to see if any improvement would occur. It has NOT gotten better over time and they will now want to apply a laser procedure. I will have some hard questions for them come Friday. Having had laser welding done on a spot in my retina that was termed lattice degeneration and explained to me to be a precursor of detatchment, I do not I mean NOT! enjoy a searing red hot needlepoint beam of light on the raw periphery of my optic nerve....that is one painful bad (x100 laser shots) experience. I have an extensive history with my vision and vision care due to life events, I can see but I was seeing better pre-cataract even with the dim cataract vision I used to have.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
I thought "early in the lasik process" was fairly clear. Sorry, lasik came out in 1991, We were early on in the lasik procedure practice. So it occurred many years ago prior to the cataract procedures. I cannot state scientifically that the lasik caused my issue or if it was the combination. I suspect it is the combination as lasik changes the shape of the cornea. In my case the two procedures do not play well together. Also that statement is a reflection of my sisters opinion as well. She had much more extensive exploration in to the reasons for her abysmal outcome. She had her eyes operated on before I underwent the process and so I was able to confer with her and let her mentor me. I perhaps should have taken her words a bit more seriously. My mother who did not have lasik, had cataract surgery and many years later had a serious problem with her lens which was not supposed to occur. She underwent further correction with 2 renoun surgeons collaberating to get her vision back on track. ( I am uncertain of the exact issue). My closing statement is pointed at the final outcome as of today. Prior to the cataract surgery I was only myopic and now I am having birefringence. I have another appointment this Friday as the Cataract team wanted to allow even more time to see if any improvement would occur. It has NOT gotten better over time and they will now want to apply a laser procedure. I will have some hard questions for them come Friday. Having had laser welding done on a spot in my retina that was termed lattice degeneration and explained to me to be a precursor of detatchment, I do not I mean NOT! enjoy a searing red hot needlepoint beam of light on the raw periphery of my optic nerve....that is one painful bad (x100 laser shots) experience. I have an extensive history with my vision and vision care due to life events, I can see but I was seeing better pre-cataract even with the dim cataract vision I used to have.
A suggestion. Break your post up a bit and it will be easier to read and understand what you want to say.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:17 AM   #55

Day #6 with new eye.

I got up this morning, turned on Bloomberg news and NO MORE fuzzies!. The picture and text were great. I can see better with my new eye (left) then I can the right one using my glasses.

Drove to Kingsville just for fun and havenv't seen the road that clearly for years. Get the other done next week, get healed up and hit the road.

Very pleased!
Old 04-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
A suggestion. Break your post up a bit and it will be easier to read and understand what you want to say.
And just so the OP doesn't feel picked on, that would apply to many other posters.

At some point I just stop reading.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:39 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And just so the OP doesn't feel picked on, that would apply to many other posters.

At some point I just stop reading.

Ron
Paragraphs are your friend.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:26 PM   #58

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Day #6 with new eye.
Very pleased!
It's great to read that you've apparently joined the ranks of many having a positive outcome with this procedure, congrats!
Old 04-25-2023, 08:22 PM   #59

Quote:
I came to contribute, not to be critiqued.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:11 AM   #60

Since I started this thead, I wanted to update it. Both my eyes have healed perfectly and my new eyes are incredible.

I intend to take my long awaited trip up the MS river 'Great River Road' in September when it's a bit cooler. My new eyes will make it much better.

I thinking I'll probably be in Iowa when my personal odometer turns over to 89. Hope I can locate a bottle of wine to mark the occasion.