Chef's Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17 B
Chef's Escape

In making our build list for 17b we opted for no microwave, will take our Instant Pot instead. It's a slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, pressure cooker, sauté, brown meat, even bake the best cheesecake ever. Just putting this out there as "food for thought".
Pfaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffy View Post
In making our build list for 17b we opted for no microwave, will take our Instant Pot instead. It's a slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, pressure cooker, sauté, brown meat, even bake the best cheesecake ever. Just putting this out there as "food for thought".
Hi: Pfaffy... "Instant Pot" must be a new type of quick growing weed. It's sure to revolutionize the industry!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21' Feb 2017
I have heard rave reviews for the Instant Pot from several people. I might have to get one! Maybe you could do a demo at a rally. Or we could have an Instant Pot "throw down"!

cslcs25 + H46Driver + Abby +Meggi
Cslcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cslcs25 View Post
I have heard rave reviews for the Instant Pot from several people. I might have to get one! Maybe you could do a demo at a rally. Or we could have an Instant Pot "throw down"!
We love our instant pot, and it makes short work of beans, or a pot roast, and also makes excellent rice. But, and this is a big but, it is a power hog. It's really only practical if you have hookups. What we like the most about it is, if we want a dish that would normally take 2+ hours to prepare, it can be done in less than 30 with the same results.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffy View Post
If you don't have a hookup when camping you will need sufficient batteries and inverter to run your 10 amp cooker...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I usually run up to Colorado for my instant pot.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
If you don't have a hook-up, a microwave isn't really practical either. To me, choosing an Instant Pot over microwave could make perfect sense. (We already know Alf is on board.)

But can it do pop corn?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Yes you can.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Oregon

When we came into Oregon last spring we
went through a town that had a shop with the title Bill's Buds scrawled on the side. From the next two weeks whenever we encountered irresponsible driving we remarked that the driver had probably shopped at Bill's earlier that day. Two of my kids have one of these new fangled cookers and say they work great but they haven't invited me over for a meal yet.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by myronl View Post
i usually run up to colorado for my instant pot.
😳 😂😂

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Two of my kids have one of these new fangled cookers and say they work great but they haven't invited me over for a meal yet.
Dave
Well Dave, I wouldn't call them newfangled. They're just a pressure cooker with automatic cycles and push buttons. Basically the same cooking technique your parents probably used back in the day - just modernized.

Sorry about those ingrates. Can't help you there...[emoji1]
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pressure cooker

I asked how it worked and one of them said, Dad it's like a pressure cooker. The led readout threw me. We have a couple pressure cookers here that we use for canning. A person could use a pressure cooker without electric hookups.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I usually run up to Colorado for my instant pot.
A Girl Scout set up her cookie table outside one of the "Instant Pot" stores and sold 117 boxes an hour.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Personally I'd keep the microwave and take the Instant Pot. They are both great for cooking on the road. We love our Instant Pot. Our kids use theirs all the time. I can't wait to try a cheesecake.
For those of you wondering if it's not from a Colorado greenhouse, what is it? Electric Pressure Cooker, Smart Cooker, Multi Cooker, 快煲电压力锅

Have fun with your build sheet, it's all good!
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I got one when Amazon was doing some Black Friday instant special sale or something like that. It was on sale (supposedly). I got it. I've used it a few times for pot roast and corned beef. I found I had to cook it less time than their recipes called for as I don't like over cooked meat.

But, this thing is HUGE! It'd take up an entire cabinet in the trailer. Like where the microwave is normally stashed!

I'd also question cleaning that sucker inside your trailer. Now, if you have the outdoor shower, that might work better than the kitchen sink. Or the shower inside.

I did get it thinking I could use it in the trailer, but instead I'm going to use my toaster oven with two racks as I bake many of my meals at home. (Which takes up an entire cabinet under the stove top.) And my small rice cooker, which doesn't take up that much space thankfully. This isn't it, but it's real close in size to what we got:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-389-_-Product

And if I want the other kind of pot, I have a bazillion shops to choose from. However, those days are long gone for me.

Edit: Deal of the Day back in July. Boy, my memory sure was off. Nope, not the wacky tabacky.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
You know I never thought of taking the rice cooker in the trailer for when we are plugged in... I really have a hard time with the flame when I cook rice on the stove...Duh...

And we have a nice new convection toaster oven that we use all the time in the house..We bought it for the trailer as it just fits in the wardrobe shelf--that was made to measure--we had the measurements when we went shopping and thankfully it was a good brand that fit) Then Doug realized that we would use it more in the house and save on the big oven for certain things.. So the rice cooker should come on our next trip in May as we will have electricity..

Thanks Laura!! Our machine is very similar except I think it has a heat setting...
Old 02-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a non electric pressure cooker, works just as well off your stove or grill, https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_5fs1wzksvz_p
Attached Thumbnails
41hMylq2EYL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I prepare every meal before I leave, after being out from dark to dark the last thing I want to do is cook.
I return, toss a meal in the microwave and I'm done!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #19

Everyone has such great ideas, will decide what will go in the "kitch" once the Escape is home this fall. Toaster oven might find a place, it's a give and take as far as space and weight.
We've equipped a boat galley and our Teardrop, minimal I can do, just don't touch my
Instant Pot.
Using the outdoor shower for cleanup is a great suggestion.
We are sure enjoying this Forum.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Pam, I think you have the best idea. Except for options you know you want and that are by far easier to have done during the build, I think rather than buying everything else upfront, I like the idea of going out on a few camping trips first and seeing if you find a need that you need to buy something to meet.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote