Do not let this happen to you and your dog.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not let this happen to you and your dog....

supposedly chewed through the door.....same type as the 2ndG type door.
Attached Thumbnails
43390804_10217644165960677_2544575154294358016_n.jpg  
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
hah, looks like a border collie or similar... they do NOT like to be confined. my sons BC chewed through the seatbelts in his car when it was left for a few minutes in the back of the wagon.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Australian Cattle Dog aka Queensland Heeler (ACD, aka ICD = Insane Cattle Dog). Glad my dogs do not do things like that!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

yeah, close relative of the border collie.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is why proper training is important, it makes bringing your dog along more pleasurable for everyone. I have always trained my dog to not go through a doorway without permission, let alone chew through it.

You can't blame the dog, no matter what the breed is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is why proper training is important, it makes bringing your dog along more pleasurable for everyone. I have always trained my dog to not go through a doorway without permission, let alone chew through it.

You can't blame the dog, no matter what the breed is.
It was probably separation anxiety- that can make dogs crazy. Crating inside the trailer would have helped- maybe, some are nuts enough to get out of a crate, too.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
It was probably separation anxiety- that can make dogs crazy. Crating inside the trailer would have helped- maybe, some are nuts enough to get out of a crate, too.
Our Australian Shepherd, Jasper, has huge separation anxiety. If we are gone for even 15 minutes he goes berserk when we get back. No crate, and no problem. He knows to behave or deal with the big dog (me) growling meanly at him.

Crates may work, but nothing beats good training. I know I harp on training dogs, this comes from the restrictions placed on us when camping or hiking because of a history of poorly trained dogs causing problems.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A friend watched a dogs reaction to seeing a cat outside the camper. The dog totally trashed the window treatments throughout the camper! Luckily, my indoor cat respects the inside of my Escape. If he feels threatened, he hides under the covers on the bed. If he can’t see you, then you can’t see him!
Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my dogs are big cat chasers but have never done anything like that I'm lucky when i leave them the seem to sleep.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Saw this on another site with quite a few additional pictures. That pup did a whole lot of damage on the inside also.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Saw this on another site with quite a few additional pictures. That pup did a whole lot of damage on the inside also.
Michel posted it on the Escape TT Facebook page with a lot more photos. I think it was just the door, but the pieces and foam insulation were strewn about.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #12

Yes, FB was where it was first posted, on a RV page. My first black Lab, Pepper, ate my HO train set, engine & cars. Thankfully it all passed, Labs are known to eat wrong items, like a entire pound of Hershey Kisses, foil wrappers and all.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

One of my labs chewed the tops off of two tall glasses so that she could lick the dregs of eggnog out of the bottom of them. Not a drop of blood anywhere and no ill effects, she lived to 16. I heard of one once that ate an 11" wrench.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

I had a pit bull years ago . One year she went with us to my brothers for christmas. She was well trained and well socialized but it was different place. We left her in the garage when we went out. Came back later and I mentioned to my brother i didn't know he had a doggy door. She had her head thru the door happy to see us. He didn't. Even the best trained get separation anxiety at time. I get it when my dog goes out.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
My black lab, Pepper, over the years ate a knee high sock, a double vinyl album, a very large bar of industrial soap, more deer poop than I can imagine and a german chocolate cake etc. etc. etc. I remember Dave Barry saying they will eat anything as it might be food and they cam always throw it up later. She was a wonderful dog but smart, sneaky and always hungry.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
My black lab, Pepper, over the years ate a knee high sock, a double vinyl album, a very large bar of industrial soap, more deer poop than I can imagine and a german chocolate cake etc. etc. etc. I remember Dave Barry saying they will eat anything as it might be food and they cam always throw it up later. She was a wonderful dog but smart, sneaky and always hungry.
My lab Pepper was the same, ate the first step off the basement, just about broke my leg when I missed that step. Labs will eat until they get sick and then start all over, but are the gentlest animal. Spot, Pepper, BlackJack, and now Franklin were all male black labs, with Hershey thrown in as she is a chocolate lab.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
That is pretty hilarious!

My dogs are a mix of Australian Cattle Dog and Jack Russell Terrier and I've waited a couple of years before leaving them for small amounts of time alone in the trailer. They've burst through the retractable screen a few times to chase something (in places where they didn't need to be on a leash) but never broke it and it always went back together well.

I worry that my door or windows could suffer like that but so far they're usually too worn out at my property when I leave them for short periods and they take a good nap. The longest they stayed in the trailer by themselves was five hours when I had to go get the electronic throttle control on my Jeep fixed in a town an hour away.

I more worry about a power outage and the AC turning off or failing in hot weather or a fire or a furnace malfunction... It's a small space and they don't have a doggie door like at home.

The thing they can't figure out is when they're allowed on the dinette - it's a bed, it's a table, it's a bed, it's a table!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We just bought a nine week old black lab puppy and she is a sweetheart. That said she will chew anything within reach and housebreaking is a challenge. Our old pound puppy of 18 years never touched a thing in the trailer. He was 85 pounds and took up half the floor of the trailer. We miss him a ton.

Part of the reason for installing the Lagun table bracket was to open up a spot for the dog to hang out under the dinette table. It will probably be a while before we can trust the lab alone in the trailer. I'm thinking now that we may need to have crate along to allow leaving the lab alone in the trailer.

Any suggestions on how folks have handled a new best friend would be helpful. Love labs. All three sons have them.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Years ago, before our trailer life began, we got Jenny, a black lab pup, who we loved dearly despite her tendency to chew on chair legs, corners of the bed, and various other issues to numerous to bother with, mainly because she was our baby and we understood -- a puppy is a puppy. Turned out Jenny was an alpha female. Smart, alert, had to be in on everything, always had to be first out the door. So much energy. If she needed to go out in the yard she would jump in my lap and sit there facing me, and press her forehead into mine (she was up to 70 pounds by then) looking directly into my eyes until I let her out. What a piece of work black labs are.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19
I got a golden last year, two things I did were crate training and not feeding her puppy food, she ate a good quality adult food. Also sprayed things I didn’t want chewed with Bitter Apple. I was with her most of the time so that helped as she didn’t spend hours in her crate and when she was free I was with her. If I couldn’t watch her then she was in the crate.

Feeding adult food help greatly as she was not over hyper as most puppies. And she didn’t grow overly large or too quickly. Also, I tried to limit her jumping to avoid issues with hip and knee issues. Did lots of training early and bought her lots of chew toys! Peanut butter filled kongs really helped with teething.

Really liked the book - The Art of Raising a Puppy - would recommend it. It is new version from New Skete monks and is based on newer training techniques.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote