Fire starters - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Fire starters

Figured this is as good a place as any to post..

I've been saving egg cartons (because I'm a packrat) and a couple of days ago saw lovely wood (cedar) shavings where someone is building some breakwater groins. So I put out a call to my local friends for old candles and got a bundle- and now am making fire starters. These are my absolute favorite type.

Pack the egg carton egg spots full of wood shavings (I've also done shredded paper and sawdust but shavings are best), shorter than what I have is a bit better, though. Melt the wax over a double boiler (I put it in a can in a pot of water- that way no need to clean the can at the end) and pour wax over the shavings. You may need to pack them down and pour again. Let cool, break apart, and save for starting campfires and charcoal chimneys. Just light the corner of the egg carton material and off you go.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9568.jpg   IMG_9569.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
My favorite is Fatwood!

It is a natural wood that is full of resin. It keeps forever. It is easy to light and as a pyro, I love it!

There are lots of ways to make fire starter, and if you have a good one, use it!

I use Fatwood with my Solo stove (which I love) and it starts the fire easily. Plus I love that it's natural.

Thought you might like a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Fatwood-1.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
My favorite is Fatwood!

It is a natural wood that is full of resin. It keeps forever. It is easy to light and as a pyro, I love it!

There are lots of ways to make fire starter, and if you have a good one, use it!

I use Fatwood with my Solo stove (which I love) and it starts the fire easily. Plus I love that it's natural.

Thought you might like a look!
I like that, too, but it costs a little more.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
I use diesel fuel.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: escape 19
I keep a small jar of Vaseline and cotton balls. Also a small bag of candle ends. When you need a fire take a cotton ball and dip a good amount of Vaseline on it and place it at the bottom of the kindling with a candle bit next to it. Light the cotton ball and it works well the Vaseline gets the fire started the candle bit keeps it going. Also you have Vaseline when you need that.
mrpdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Fuzz from your dryer filter can also be used with wax in egg cartons.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Fuzz from your dryer filter can also be used with wax in egg cartons.
I've heard that. I did it with straw recently before I happened on these nice shavings.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
where to find free fat wood.

Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

I've been saving egg cartons (because I'm a packrat) and a couple of days ago saw lovely wood (cedar) shavings where someone is building some breakwater groins. So I put out a call to my local friends for old candles and got a bundle- and now am making fire starters. These are my absolute favorite type.

Pack the egg carton egg spots full of wood shavings (I've also done shredded paper and sawdust but shavings are best), shorter than what I have is a bit better, though. Melt the wax over a double boiler (I put it in a can in a pot of water- that way no need to clean the can at the end) and pour wax over the shavings. You may need to pack them down and pour again. Let cool, break apart, and save for starting campfires and charcoal chimneys. Just light the corner of the egg carton material and off you go.
I have done a similar thing for years, except for using used cooking oil. Never had it fail, even without kindling. Sure fire!
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
I have done a similar thing for years, except for using used cooking oil. Never had it fail, even without kindling. Sure fire!
Do you just make it as needed? Or soak the carton with cooking oil and keep it for future use?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There are many good ways to start fires. In Scouts we showed the boys multiple methods and types of tinder. It was all part of earning the Fireman Chit. That and the Toten Chip and you could live the motto in comfort. In winter, as we hiked, I would casually remove a long abandoned bird’s nest from a low crotch in a plum thicket. When we got ready to start a cooking fire, I’d pull the nest out of my coat pocket along with my waterproof matchbox and proceed. Boys learned.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I just use charcoal lighter fluid. I have all these other ways stuffed away in my survival gear, but until that time comes I believe in KISS.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There are many good ways to start fires. In Scouts we showed the boys multiple methods and types of tinder. It was all part of earning the Fireman Chit. That and the Toten Chip and you could live the motto in comfort. In winter, as we hiked, I would casually remove a long abandoned bird’s nest from a low crotch in a plum thicket. When we got ready to start a cooking fire, I’d pull the nest out of my coat pocket along with my waterproof matchbox and proceed. Boys learned.
Iowa Dave
We learned in Girl Scouts, too- in wet Washington, without fire starters. Cedar or pine needles from near the base of a large tree were usually dry enough. But nowadays we aren't supposed to take that stuff, at least not in parks.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21...our EscapePod; 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
We use Fatwood, easy to store, quick to ignite, light to carry
camperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

I gotta ask, What are 'breakwater groins.'?
Old 12-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I experimented with used dryer sheets stuffed into empty toilet paper rolls. Works pretty well, although my old standby is a torch head for my one pound propane tanks. Never fails!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #17

Try one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenwood-910...df_B01MT0ATY1/
Attached Thumbnails
torch.jpg  
Old 12-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Has anyone considered a wooden match? This is what I use with a piece of paper and kindling. It has worked good for me many, many hundreds of times. Sometimes I cheat and use a gas lighter too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Has anyone considered a wooden match? This is what I use with a piece of paper and kindling. It has worked good for me many, many hundreds of times. Sometimes I cheat and use a gas lighter too.

What are those?
Old 12-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I buy fireplace logs and keep one in a pastic bag in the storage box. I hack a couple of chunks off and use at the base of a fire. They appear to be made sawdust and wax. One log lasts a couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails
985efc8b-fef0-4059-aa9b-5d2df023c31b_1.e2c0f9f7240cf1f5ba0316f9b3b4d481.jpeg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote