For Iowa Dave....... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For Iowa Dave.......

This coffee cup reminds me of you and yours every time I use it......
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #2

Sorry folks, having computer or brain issues this am.....
Old 10-28-2022, 08:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I should have called up Iowa Dave and bought him & the missus dinner the last time I was there. That would have made a good meal even better! I have heard that some of his stories are actually true!
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
True story
Here’s an Iowa attraction that may interest some folks who are high-ballin it through our fair state on Interstate 80. Jim’s coffee cup reminded me of it.
If westbound across the state on I -80 stop at the big truck stop at Walcott in Eastern Iowa just west of Davenport.
Locate the antique truck museum. Make sure your phone is charged so you can take photos and budget some time to walk among the legendary trucks. The trucks that helped so many in this country do their job with a steady hand on the wheel and the ability to play the clutch like a violin. Then get back on the road and head for Cedar Rapids where we can meet up for a lunch or dinner.
You gotta let me know you’re coming or I'm liable to be out on the land somewhere.

If Eastbound you’ll be past our place before you get to Walcott. Take that into consideration.

Here’s the Geezer kicker: The Truck Museum is free though a donation of a few bucks is appreciated.

If you’re into humanitarian history, only a few miles west of Walcott is the Herbert Hoover presidential museum and library. Use your geezer pass here for free or reduced admission. I can’t remember which. This sometimes forgotten and often maligned man saved countless lives in the early part of the last century throughout the World. Herbie was a good boyhood friend of mine as we grew up. (Now that’s a lie).

Great camping in season in Iowa. period. (truth)

https://www.google.com/search?q=truc...ile-gws-wiz-hp

https://hoover.archives.gov/
Have a great day, I gotta go, I got a lot of hay down. (Harlin Andresen)
Iowa Dave
Old 10-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Have to remember that truck museum, if we ever get to Iowa!

There's an excellent one in Virginia: Keystone Antique Truck & Tractor Museum, right off I95 near Petersburg:

https://bestpartva.org/do/attraction...tractor-works/

Also, if you like old machines, including tractors, you must visit the Connecticut Antique Machinery Association on Rt. 7 in Kent (includes a fabulous Museum of Mining and Mineral Science (Geology):

http://www.ctamachinery.com

Twice a year they have a festival with the machines running, including steam tractors!
Old 10-28-2022, 03:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Storyteller Iowa Dave

Since we are reflecting on what reminds us Dave……..

We live by the National Storytelling Center in Jonesborough TN. Every Tuesday evening the Storytelling Guild has 3 member storytellers amuse us with a tale. Additionally, there is also a featured storyteller with a special story.
The featured teller is usually a world renowned tale weaver that is here each week as a presenter at the Center. They hail from all over the world displaying a number of different styles of tale telling.
Each October, around the time of the Egg gathering at the Daniel Boone Birthplace State Park, they have a Storytelling Festival which attracts a very large crowd of fans.
Many times the teller reminds me of Dave, and his ability to regale his “audience” with a “tale”, or two.
Most tellers leave the audience to determine where on the fiction/nonfiction scale the tale falls. Hmm! Anyone know where Dave’s tales fall? 😉
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #7

The shadow do.
Hey George,
Figure this way , if you say I bet you can’t prove that after I tell you an anecdote, be ready to get your money out. Or to hear me say “everybody else who was there when it happened is dead now”.

I did back a guy down a while back when I claimed to have harvested over 100 squirrels one fall. He was willing to bet until I threw down my credit card with a $19,000 limit. After he backed down, I left the party, drove 30+ miles to our home and back. I had retrieved a receipt from Mepps fishing lures and a sack of unopened spinners. The receipt showed credit for 115 squirrel tails I’d sent to them in exchange for Mepps spinners. I allowed as how it was fortunate for him that he didn’t bet and cautioned him against challenging me again.
I hit those tree tats pretty hard that fall and made a lot of Crock pot squirrel B que.

Something about a man named Davey I guess.
Have a great fall, hope to see you again soon. Headed for a High school football game playoff in North Liberty Iowa
Iowa Dave
Old 10-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
You mean Lamont Cranston?
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
I'm glad that Iowa Dave got a lot of tail while he was young enough.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yeah,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm glad that Iowa Dave got a lot of tail while he was young enough.
A squirrelly dude, to boot.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Little know fact, I designed and installed the the telecom and IT infrastructure at Herbert Hoover NHS, including and underground fiber optic network, two phone systems and all the network servers over the course of my career in the NPS. One of my best friends lives in Solon and the Solon Hardware store is one of my favorite places (disclaimer I co-produced a short film about the fine women who run the store.). Other parks in Iowa include Effigy Mounds ( I worked there also). I have worked in nearly all the parks in the Midwest Region of the NPS. Lots of hidden gems. I have been know to tell a lie or two and sing some rather funny songs upon the proper motivation. I hope to regale some of them next year at the Mississippi Rendezvous
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #12

Looking forward to it. My brother did concrete testing and inspection at Herbert Hoover when it was first paved.and the Interstate Highway was built. Don’t know if he has been back since.
Good ballgames tonight Liberty from North Liberty beat Webster City by 10. Solon thumped West Delaware 42 to 10.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #13

Little did I know back in 1967 while attending college in Fairfield, Iowa that Iowa Dave was probably also attending some higher form of education in Iowa near me.....
Old 10-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My zero Mepps has caught me a few trout.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
A big thanks to Iowa Dave for the Iowa grown garlic that has made the last couple of patches of spaghetti sauce & garlic bread mighty tasty!
Old 10-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #16

School

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Little did I know back in 1967 while attending college in Fairfield, Iowa that Iowa Dave was probably also attending some higher form of education in Iowa near me.....
144 miles to the NW at Iowa State University Fish and Wildlife Biology. Later Resource Development for Outdoor Recreation. 1970. Good times.
I had a couple high school teachers with degrees from Parsons. I drive through Fairfield about twice a year on my way home from Lacey Keosauqua State Park.
Its a little farther than I need to drive but I like to see some different country and the two lane road is pretty good.
Iowa Dave