Forward your mail? Need a lawyer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Forward your mail? Need a lawyer?

When I take long trips I use a mail forwarding service. Every couple of weeks I have my mail sent to the nearest town to where I think I'll be camping in a week or so. The mail arrives bundled in a big envelope addressed to "General Delivery, Michael Lewis, [town and zip]". I've done this for a few years now and it works fine.

My last mail delivery was to Duluth, Minnesota. When I picked up my mail today I had the large envelope from the forwarding service as expected, and I had another envelope, this one from a Minneapolis law firm. It was addressed to: Michael Lewis, General Delivery, Duluth, MN 55806. The envelope noted that it was an advertisement. The letter inside started off like this:

"Dear Michael Lewis: We understand that you have been arrested for a drug related charge..." then it went on to advise me of my rights regarding search and seizure, right to counsel, etc., ending with a phone number for me to call the firm. For the record, I have no arrests of any kind (yet) and I am not a drug user or dealer.

So, what's going on here?
(1) Are drug users and dealers conducting their business via post office general delivery? (my guess)
(2) Am I being confused with another Michael Lewis who gets his mail via general delivery in Duluth?
(3) Something else I haven't thought of?
Finally, if (1) is correct, is the post office selling their lists of general delivery clients to law firms? How did the firm get my name?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
When I take long trips I use a mail forwarding service. Every couple of weeks I have my mail sent to the nearest town to where I think I'll be camping in a week or so. The mail arrives bundled in a big envelope addressed to "General Delivery, Michael Lewis, [town and zip]". I've done this for a few years now and it works fine.

My last mail delivery was to Duluth, Minnesota. When I picked up my mail today I had the large envelope from the forwarding service as expected, and I had another envelope, this one from a Minneapolis law firm. It was addressed to: Michael Lewis, General Delivery, Duluth, MN 55806. The envelope noted that it was an advertisement. The letter inside started off like this:

"Dear Michael Lewis: We understand that you have been arrested for a drug related charge..." then it went on to advise me of my rights regarding search and seizure, right to counsel, etc., ending with a phone number for me to call the firm. For the record, I have no arrests of any kind (yet) and I am not a drug user or dealer.

So, what's going on here?
(1) Are drug users and dealers conducting their business via post office general delivery? (my guess)
(2) Am I being confused with another Michael Lewis who gets his mail via general delivery in Duluth?
(3) Something else I haven't thought of?
Finally, if (1) is correct, is the post office selling their lists of general delivery clients to law firms? How did the firm get my name?

I thought the only crack that was dealt with in Duluth was handled with extra long t-shirts.

Probably someone with the same name lives in Duluth and the sorter put this with yours. Similar to how I get mail for an address on another street that has the same number and starts with a D all the time.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
With a name like Michael I'm leaning toward #2.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I recently changed my 101-year-old dad's mailing address to mine (through the USPS) and have started to receive unsolicited mail to him at my address (not a forwarded address). I suspect the USPS sells the address changes to raise revenue.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I recently changed my 101-year-old dad's mailing address to mine (through the USPS) and have started to receive unsolicited mail to him at my address (not a forwarded address). I suspected the USPS sells the address changes to raise revenue.
They do indeed, and it's a peeve of mine. You apparently can't opt out either. As soon as the change of address card hits the post office, it's also hitting a list used by marketers.

I love sending packages via USPS vs the other guys because they are reliable and relatively inexpensive. But I hate the fact that 90% of the mail filling our box every day is junk mail and ads. That's alot of dead trees and bulk for landfills.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
T I hate the fact that 90% of the mail filling our box every day is junk mail and ads. That's alot of dead trees and bulk for landfills.

Without it, there would be no mail.
Without it, I'd get no mail.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I get a call about every two weeks on my land line ( keep it because my cell phone service is bad at my home) telling me I am going to be arrested if i don't call immediately and pay up. Or its the IRS needing immediate payment.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I get a call about every two weeks on my land line ( keep it because my cell phone service is bad at my home) telling me I am going to be arrested if i don't call immediately and pay up. Or its the IRS needing immediate payment.
The India IRS scam. They did manage to arrest one large ring of them a few weeks ago in India, after the US government pressured the Indian government to crack down.

When I have the time, I find them entertaining and have played along a couple times. Waste 10 or 20 minutes of their time then tell them to stop scamming people and hang up. Maybe my wasting some of their time prevented someone else from getting scammed, I dunno. Fun anyway. On the last one I told the guy I chose jail over the fee, and I was ready for the police to show up and take me away. Confused silence on the other end.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
scams on the land line are constant
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Random thought: We know that scammers get some of the phone numbers from lists generated from posted numbers, so....
If a thread just for posting scam callers' numbers exists, won't they just start robocalling each other's phone #'s?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I routinely answer the phone with caller ID "unknown" or "anonymous" with the phrase "IRS, can I help you", they hang up..... sometimes "FBI, York Office" gets the same result, no return calls. I try to scam the scammer, if it continues, I'll block the number.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I routinely answer the phone with caller ID "unknown" or "anonymous" with the phrase "IRS, can I help you", they hang up..... sometimes "FBI, York Office" gets the same result, no return calls. I try to scam the scammer, if it continues, I'll block the number.
Good one. I'll add that to my repertoire.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We're all in the eternal database with no administrator. I routinely get junk mail for my father, who died 23 years ago.........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My friend has a whistle he blows into the phone.

CLassic
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
W
Well, you certainly weren't sharing at the boler 50th, or did you lock the drugs up at the border before crossing?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
All the calls I get from the CRA are recorded messages telling me I am being charged with fraud. A voice mail, seriously?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, you certainly weren't sharing at the boler 50th, or did you lock the drugs up at the border before crossing?

I don't want my detour to the Northwest Angle to look any more suspicious than it does already.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
So, now border service will be checking your phone and find Bennett referencing that you didn't share your drugs.

Doo Doo, doo doo...
Old 08-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #19

Nah. I already know the border people love me.