from Escape... to pop up truck camper (for us) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Talking from Escape... to pop up truck camper (for us)

Hi all

Having been to Quartzsite fiberglass rally four times (first 2 times in our 17' Casita, then 2 times in our 21' Escape) I met a bunch of you nice folks.

Long story short.... we wanted to have more serious off road capability, (a number of times we ended up wanting to go places that would be petty much impossible to tow an Escape)

Plus we did not enjoy towing.

so we sold the 21' Escape and spent about a year figuring out the best pop up truck camper (and truck) to get.

We loved the Escape but it just wasn't the right fit for us.

I recently picked up our new pop up truck camper - from Hallmark RV in Colorado.

Specs, in brief:

custom layout and floor plan.

720 watts solar on the roof.

200 amp hour Lithium Ion (2 x 100) batteries

the biggest fridge/freezer that Hallmark could fit in. Only 12v thus the 720 watts solar, and the 200 amp hour Li ion.

full Victron system.

Hallmark mounted a OEM Ford tailgate camera just below the rear bumper of the Hallmark, and with some angling it integrated pretty much perfectly into the Ford 360 view.

Hallmark has the composite balsa/fiberglass walls, and one piece composite/fiberglass roof. Best in the business.

They also have the 3 layer insulated soft walls. Makes the camper comfy well below freezing. True 4 season camper.

queen north/south bed with side storage cubbies... so no climbing over at night.

side dinette turns into a 6' 7" single bed. We only have 1 child and are not having any more... so suits us perfectly.

we'll leave the camper on all the time. 100% of the time.

camper is 9.5" long PLUS the queen bed over the cab. Less storage than a 21' escape but way more than a 17' Casita, i think. we'll be fine as we are young, and not full timing.

wet weight is about 2,700 lbs, and capacity of the truck carrying is over 4,000 lbs, so a large margin of safety (thus the highest GVWR we could get in the F350.

6.2 L gasser (2020) with 8 foot bed. 4.3 rear end also with limited slip differential.

super quiet and efficient Truma Combi for hot air and hot water.

Interior mini shower that doubles as a place to hold the Port a Potty (that works great) plus also an AluCab outdoor shower cube to be able to outdoor shower and also outdoor “outhouse” for the Port a Potty.

AluCab 270 degree awning that is super beefy, and does not need legs down, even in rain!! But has legs and tie downs if very stormy.

Hit me up with any questions. :-)

J.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #2

pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	resized--at-Hallamrk-IMG_2381.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	45881

Click image for larger version

Name:	resized---victron-controls-IMG_2423.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	45882

Name:	resized-top-up-from-rear--IMG_2427.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	45883

Name:	resized----top-up----IMG_2429.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	45884
Old 04-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

more pics.

Name:	resized  top-down-IMG_2432.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	45885

Name:	resized-top-down-IMG_2438.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	45886

Name:	resized-360-view-with-OEM-Ford-tailgate-camera-on-rear-bumper-Hallamrk-IMG_2441.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	45887

Name:	resized-IMG_2476.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	45888
Old 04-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #4

p.s. yes a single person can sleep in it, with the roof down, very comfortably.

....as if it is a Hobbit House (cant stand up in it) but for a quick nap, or a quick sleep, stealthily... it is 100% possible. See the earlier pics.

and 2 last pics.

Name:	resized-IMG_2477.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	45889

Name:	resized-IMG_2478.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	45890
Old 04-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Nice looking setup, John. I was expecting you to go to a Van, so you threw me another curve.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Looks great. I heard that they make a great camper. You will get to go places that a truck pulling a 21 foot can not. I love the room in the 21 but sometimes we wish that we could explore more or fit into a tiny spot.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Having had 2 campers love them still . Looked at the website and very , very nice ! Lucky ! Enjoy ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Beautiful. Enjoy. Enclosed and heated fresh water and gray tanks I assume?
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Nice looking setup, John. I was expecting you to go to a Van, so you threw me another curve.

yes we did think we were going to go van.... but once you buy a 24' (high roof) van, and convert it (Sportsmobile West is a very good option) then it is even MORE $ than the rig we got

plus having rented a 24' high roof van, they SUCK in crosswinds.... and our new rig does not, at all.

and also a van lacks both ground clearance, plus attack and departure angles... so the 4x4 F350 is a much more capable off road machine. Plus the van build out is a slow process

the pop up truck camper has some other advantages for us, as well.

so far so good.

best to you and yours Greg!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Nice.
I’ve always wondered, how easy is it to go through the entry door?
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavanagh View Post
Looks great. I heard that they make a great camper. You will get to go places that a truck pulling a 21 foot can not. I love the room in the 21 but sometimes we wish that we could explore more or fit into a tiny spot.
also we can get into a "tent" only campsite.... (and will carry a tent, for show, or if our daughter brings a pal, or what have you..... ) so more flexibility with our new rig for cancellations. We dont need a big campsite anymore.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Having had 2 campers love them still . Looked at the website and very , very nice ! Lucky ! Enjoy ! Pat
Thanks! we are young enough to justify it... hope to use it for 20+ years.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Beautiful. Enjoy. Enclosed and heated fresh water and gray tanks I assume?
the fresh water tank... and the under sink grey water tank is in the heated envelope, so to speak,

but the shower grey tank is under the rear bumper, exposed, but that is not a big deal. we can easily deal with that, and be careful of not freezing it.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
Nice.
I’ve always wondered, how easy is it to go through the entry door?
It does require a duck, but as one is kind of hunched over going up the (detachable) rear steps, it feels quite natural.

they put a big padded head bumper pad just inside the door....

so far it feels just fine. Good question tho.

j.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hi all

Having been to Quartzsite fiberglass rally four times (first 2 times in our 17' Casita, then 2 times in our 21' Escape) I met a bunch of you nice folks.

Long story short.... we wanted to have more serious off road capability, (a number of times we ended up wanting to go places that would be petty much impossible to tow an Escape)

Plus we did not enjoy towing.

so we sold the 21' Escape and spent about a year figuring out the best pop up truck camper (and truck) to get.

We loved the Escape but it just wasn't the right fit for us.

I recently picked up our new pop up truck camper - from Hallmark RV in Colorado.

Specs, in brief:

custom layout and floor plan.

720 watts solar on the roof.

200 amp hour Lithium Ion (2 x 100) batteries

the biggest fridge/freezer that Hallmark could fit in. Only 12v thus the 720 watts solar, and the 200 amp hour Li ion.

full Victron system.

Hallmark mounted a OEM Ford tailgate camera just below the rear bumper of the Hallmark, and with some angling it integrated pretty much perfectly into the Ford 360 view.

Hallmark has the composite balsa/fiberglass walls, and one piece composite/fiberglass roof. Best in the business.

They also have the 3 layer insulated soft walls. Makes the camper comfy well below freezing. True 4 season camper.

queen north/south bed with side storage cubbies... so no climbing over at night.

side dinette turns into a 6' 7" single bed. We only have 1 child and are not having any more... so suits us perfectly.

we'll leave the camper on all the time. 100% of the time.

camper is 9.5" long PLUS the queen bed over the cab. Less storage than a 21' escape but way more than a 17' Casita, i think. we'll be fine as we are young, and not full timing.

wet weight is about 2,700 lbs, and capacity of the truck carrying is over 4,000 lbs, so a large margin of safety (thus the highest GVWR we could get in the F350.

6.2 L gasser (2020) with 8 foot bed. 4.3 rear end also with limited slip differential.

super quiet and efficient Truma Combi for hot air and hot water.

Interior mini shower that doubles as a place to hold the Port a Potty (that works great) plus also an AluCab outdoor shower cube to be able to outdoor shower and also outdoor “outhouse” for the Port a Potty.

AluCab 270 degree awning that is super beefy, and does not need legs down, even in rain!! But has legs and tie downs if very stormy.

Hit me up with any questions. :-)

J.
Nice! I do miss our Sunlite pop up truck camper for its boondock abilities and maneuverability. Hallmark is a MUCH better made camper than Sunlite and if I were to go that route again it would be my camper of choice. Enjoy!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
For 15 years I had a similar truck camper made by one of Hallmark's Colorado competitors, so I know you will enjoy your new camper. You will be able to mosey down Forest Service or BLM roads without worry about a place to turn around, travel on washboard roads without breaking all the eggs in your fridge, stop for the night anyplace that is reasonably level, and you won't be much affected by high winds when on the highway. Hallmark builds a quality product.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrider View Post
For 15 years I had a similar truck camper made by one of Hallmark's Colorado competitors, so I know you will enjoy your new camper. You will be able to mosey down Forest Service or BLM roads without worry about a place to turn around, travel on washboard roads without breaking all the eggs in your fridge, stop for the night anyplace that is reasonably level, and you won't be much affected by high winds when on the highway. Hallmark builds a quality product.
All true.

Hilarious story: once - towing our 21' Escape - we were heading up a "road" in Anza Borrego desert (more of a dry river wash) and the road got pretty sketchy, then suddenly we hit a point where it was not safe to proceed... so very tricky turning around..... i got it done. Very stressful. Almost got stuck in sand, badly. yes we had AWD on the tow... just was sketchy towing anything there.... and yes a true 4x4 tug might have been a bit better there..... but still... super tough to turn around.... narrow.... rocky.....

then later when unhitching the Escape got stuck on the hitch ball..... took some work to get un-stuck off the ball ....

and once all that was done... my better 1/2 said "YOU arranged all this (trouble) so you can justify getting a pop up truck camper!"

we still laugh about it today... as if showhow i could have pre-arranged all that drama.

cheers

J.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It appears you have to deploy the roof in order to use the front bed, how long does that take and what happens if it is raining. Also do you travel with a dog or dogs?
Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It appears you have to deploy the roof in order to use the front bed, how long does that take and what happens if it is raining. Also do you travel with a dog or dogs?
The Hallmark super Manual roof goes up (or down) in about 30 seconds. Super easy. Just remember to undo the latches first!!!

use a good 18v drill. Makita is recommended as being good, by Hallmark. I got a nice set on sale for $99. Yes can be hand cranked (about 5 mins) if drill dies. I carry a spare drill.

this 59 second video shows it (link below)

Does not matter the weather. tough as nails soft wall.

No dogs.

https://youtu.be/BK6gwaGahC8

Old 04-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
hallmark

We bought both a new 1999 and a 2006 hallmark Cuchara. They are a very good and honest company. We initially worked with Mike and later with Andrew. Excellent service and great customer care. Nice family business.
We were pulling a 16' race trailer at the time so the camper was great for race weekends.
We have a 5.0TA now and find it much more easier to live in for longer than a weekend.
Both are quality products, it just depends on your age and needs.
You will love it.

HarleyD
2016 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L
2018 Escape 5.0
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote