Good reads... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Good reads...

Looking for books to read on my Kindle while camping (helps to be away from most distractions.) Suggestions? Fiction preferred, newer or less well-known books.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I'm just about finished with "How Much of These Hills is Gold" by C Pam Zhang, it's amazing and a great book while traveling as it's kind of a wild west roaming theme...
Old 05-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

Thanks, that sounds interesting!
Old 05-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
In Westerns, anything by Louis L'Amour is good. I've bought and read every one of his western novels and short story compilations.

If you like the fantasy genre, I really enjoyed the Staff and Sword trilogy by Patrick W. Carr (the first is A Cast of Stones). Bessie Bell and the Goblin King by Charlotte English is an interesting tale set in old England and told from a female lead character's perspective. Joe Abercrombie's Half a King is great, too. I also liked Twelve Days of Faery by W. R. Gingell, although IMO book 2 isn't as good and book 3 is even less so.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
The Cold Millions, by Jess Walter. Fictional, but with a few historical characters and events. Set in early 20th century Spokane.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #6

Sounds good, thanks! And our library had the ebook.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Not fiction, but “Blue Highways” by William Least Half Moon is about a road trip he takes in a van around the US, after falling on hard times. He talks about the various people he meets and his experiences in small towns off the beaten path. I found his occasional subtle humor enjoyable.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I have recently been reading books by Erik Larson. These are non fiction, but they read like a good novel. Dead Wake takes you through the time of the sinking of the Lusitania through the eyes of the Captain of the ship, captain of the U-Boat, The US President, the English Prime Minister and Winston Churchill the head of the admiralty at that time.

Just finished The Splendid and the Vile which takes place during the bombing of London during the second world war, again told through the eyes of Winston Churchill, Hitler, Churchills wife and kids as well as other key players during this time. Again reads like a good novel.

Currently reading In the Garden of Beasts, told through the eyes of the US Ambassador to Germany in the mid 30's prior to WW11, and through key players as Hitler rose to power.

All of Larson's books get their information from actual diaries and journals of the key players.
It does sound a bit dry but believe me they are great reads.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Not fiction, but “Blue Highways” by William Least Half Moon is about a road trip he takes in a van around the US, after falling on hard times. He talks about the various people he meets and his experiences in small towns off the beaten path. I found his occasional subtle humor enjoyable.
And to go along with William Least Moon's excellent Blue Highways, check out Travels With Charlie by John Steinbeck.

There are a couple of series that I have been reading. None great literature, but deals with some parts of the country that interest me, and some are available for free from Amazon's Kindle Unlimited:

R. Allen Chappell - Navajo Nation Mysteries They are no match for either Tony or Anne Hillerman, but I enjoy them.
Chinle Miller - Utah & Colorado - You need to "adjust" to the writing, but interesting descriptions of the areas. Free reads for Kindle Unlimited subscribers.
Paul Doiron - A Maine Game Warden
Mark Dawson - A Jack Reacher (Lee Child) write alike. Again, free to Kindle Unlimited subscribers.
Raymond E. Feist - Fantasy Fiction of the Game of Thrones style.

For some serious writing, check out The Monkey Wrench Gang and Desert Solitaire (non fiction) by Edward Abbey.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Another light read but again entertaining are the Flavia De Luce series by Alan Bradley.
Takes place in a small village in England during the 1950's. The main character is a 10 year old girl who just happens upon a lot of murders and she helps solve the murders much to the annoyance of the local detective. Sounds like a children's novel, but they are indeed enjoyed by people of all ages. Start with "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" as it sets up the scene and the dynamic of Flavia, her two sisters and father in a rambling crumbling mansion in the South of England. Pure good fun. You should then read them in order as some things happen in one novel that affects the others. I think there are ten or so in the series, and I always read them when on vacation. Good way to set up a care free time.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
where the crawdads sing
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
where the crawdads sing
That was good. I read that.