Government Shutdown - Camping Outlook - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
On what is closed -- our local newspapers reported that any snow plowing in the national parks, such as Crater Lake, would stop which essentially blocks access since it is snowing. Not sure how one figures this out with fewer staff working - so this was a good idea to post specific information and to plan for the worse (i.e. plan you can't use it). AND thank you for not making this political. It can be treated as a fact - the government is in a partial shutdown. What do I need to know if my travels to stay safe and find a good spot to land?
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
On what is closed -- our local newspapers reported that any snow plowing in the national parks, such as Crater Lake, would stop which essentially blocks access since it is snowing. Not sure how one figures this out with fewer staff working - so this was a good idea to post specific information and to plan for the worse (i.e. plan you can't use it). AND thank you for not making this political. It can be treated as a fact - the government is in a partial shutdown. What do I need to know if my travels to stay safe and find a good spot to land?
Exactly the intent of my original post. 😀
Iowa Dave
Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #43

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
From a news item I just read.

“Arizona and Utah officials implemented funding plans to keep open Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion national parks.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert said travelers planned their visits months in advance and his state wants them "to return home with memories of magnificent vistas and welcoming people, not locked doors”
While this might sound as though AZ and UT governors are really nice people that want to help vacationers...

It is not entirely true. Arizona wants the revenue and operates the Grand Canyon during shut downs, AZ collects the revenue, and keeps the $ during a shutdown. Flagstaff's economy depends almost entirely on the GC and no one wants Flagstaff to shut down. Arizona would love to obtain the GC from the feds, and there are laws suggested every year that this should be done by our congressional representatives. But mostly, AZ would like the revenue, there are never plans for maintenance.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Walk softly. I carry a big 'stick.'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #45

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I recall getting threatened with no pay paydays when in the service in the late 70's early 80's, seemed like government shutdowns happened every fall although I don't remember why. When you're living paycheck to paycheck like most of us were it was something you worried about.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Walk softly. I carry a big 'stick.'
Hmmm. Maybe I should have asked for new moccasins for Christmas.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually the IRS is one of the agencies that is closed, as are a handful of others, But about 50% are operating. When I was subject to a shutdown back in the 90's, we were told to apply for unemployment and shift the burden down to the local level. But after 10 days we were back and our pay was not impacted.. I'm guessing next week all will be normal, if that is possible...
Old 12-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Mojave Desert -- campgrounds closed but the park itself is open.
Joshua Tree -- campgrounds open until health hazard. Local agencies are trying to arrange for garbage pickup and vault toilet maintenance.
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You may want to read this article from NY Times about the shutdown
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/25/o...dits-rich.html
but it is for your info only, no discussion can be had.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Should our Federal Government shut down,what will the effect be on persons camped on BLM land and in southern federally owned areas? I missed the last one by a few days and wondered what the result might be? I read in a book that parts of the Appalachian trail were closed where they ran through Federal areas?
Iowa Dave
I've been camping on BLM land for weeks now...how are they going to shut it down? If anything the govt employees have been furloughed.
DSiepierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #51
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
And somehow these responses aren't political?
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #52

Gypping about the idiots in Washington isn't political, it's American. You can't do that in a lot of places around the world. It is free speech at its purest.

When it comes to camping on BLM land, the fewer feds the freer. As far as I can tell they don't do anything for boondockers. They only complicate things. Of course there are people who go out and trash things but they do that whether there are any rangers or not. Most of us leave things better off than we found them. For those people a government shut down is a blessing.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
And somehow these responses aren't political?
I don’t understand it either , maybe we’re reading the posts incorrectly ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #54

It would be political if one were to try to blame the whole thing on a particular person or party. This is about a totally dysfunctional government. There are guilty parties of every color and stripe. This is We the People complaining about how those who are supposed to serve us are serving themselves.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #55

It has been pointed out to me that I used the term "gypping" in a previous post. I was informed that it is a racial slur against Gypsies. OK. Of course most people here would recognize that what I really meant was griping and it was auto corrected for me.

My sincerest apologies to all of you thin skinned Gypsies out there who took offense where none was contemplated. Personally, I always thought it would be fun to be a Gypsy. Sort of the ultimate boondockers if what I see in the movies is anything close to reality.

If I am correct about Gypsies being boondockers then I'm an ersatz Gypsy myself. That gives me the right to use Gypsy slurs the same as a dark tan that never fades gives one the right to use Negro slurs.

Maybe not.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
It has been pointed out to me that I used the term "gypping" in a previous post. I was informed that it is a racial slur against Gypsies. OK. Of course most people here would recognize that what I really meant was griping and it was auto corrected for me.

My sincerest apologies to all of you thin skinned Gypsies out there who took offense where none was contemplated. Personally, I always thought it would be fun to be a Gypsy. Sort of the ultimate boondockers if what I see in the movies is anything close to reality.

If I am correct about Gypsies being boondockers then I'm an ersatz Gypsy myself. That gives me the right to use Gypsy slurs the same as a dark tan that never fades gives one the right to use Negro slurs.

Maybe not.
I would suggest you read the history of the Roma People between 1939 to 1945
The 500,000 gypsies that were slaughtered may have a different opinion
A little hint , their deaths were not attributed to boondocking or being thin skinned .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When Jeff started this forum, we discussed this sort of discussion. I proposed a section for offensive posts. Put all the religious and political discussions there and let people who want to read it, read it.

The problem is that anybody can take offence and anything can be offensive.

Of course, now we'd have to add "triggers".
Have to note that those who have a problem with these posts about the shutdown and claiming they are political, appear to be quite defensive.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gyppo loggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would suggest you read the history of the Roma People between 1939 to 1945
The 500,000 gypsies that were slaughtered may have a different opinion
A little hint , their deaths were not attributed to boondocking or being thin skinned
And if you are familiar with the logging industry in the Pacific Northwest you know what a gyppo logging outfit is. Once a derogatory term, it eventually became commonly used and was not as despised as when originally coined. Some of the nicest people I ever met were Gyppos, Cedar Beasts, and of course the legendary Salmon River Savages. Sensitivity is good if you’re trying to feel a Catfish bite on your line in the dark otherwise it’s mostly overrated. IMHO. Of course my DNA is 4% Neandrathal, putting me in the 88th percentile of Central European peoples and explaining my flat sloping forehead and propensity to gain
20 lbs every fall before hard weather sets in and I head for my cave.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can find a dozen different definitions for "gyppo". Just Google it.
Not sure why we're discussing an auto-correct though.

gyppo

noun gyp·​po

variants: or less commonly gypo \ˈji(ˌ)pō \

plural -s

Definition of gyppo

1 : a small logging operator who usually works on a contract basis

2 : contract work done by a gyppo
Old 12-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A number of posts have been deleted as they were clearly political in nature. Additionally, a reminder that questioning the actions or inactions of moderators is a violation of forum rules as well.