Grumpy Bear fiberglass campers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Grumpy Bear fiberglass campers

For those who like overhead campers, these look quite nice.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...-bear-campers/
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The interesting thing for me is they are based on the Space Cap shell that I can get here locally in Canada for $10,000.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Kinda gives me a reality adjustment. We bought a new small slide in (8ft) camper in 1974 for our 1970 Ford pickup. Propane bottle, three jacks to lift it free of the truck bed and everything they came with those days. Built in Michigan by a small outfit, $1,250 from a local dealer.
Had it for three years. California to Maine. Never leaked, nothing broke, everything working when I sold it in the spring of 1977 for $1,000. Did everything it was supposed to do and provided us with lots of comfortable nights out of the rain and snow. Never used the water system, just the sink with outside drain and jugs of water to wash dishes. Icebox, furnace, no toilet , no AC, no microwave, 110 volt outlets for a fan.
A good stove, closet and gaucho, screens on the crank out windows etc. Let the good times roll.
A simpler time then.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Kinda gives me a reality adjustment. We bought a new small slide in (8ft) camper in 1974 for our 1970 Ford pickup. Propane bottle, three jacks to lift it free of the truck bed and everything they came with those days. Built in Michigan by a small outfit, $1,250 from a local dealer.
Had it for three years. California to Maine. Never leaked, nothing broke, everything working when I sold it in the spring of 1977 for $1,000. Did everything it was supposed to do and provided us with lots of comfortable nights out of the rain and snow. Never used the water system, just the sink with outside drain and jugs of water to wash dishes. Icebox, furnace, no toilet , no AC, no microwave, 110 volt outlets for a fan.
A good stove, closet and gaucho, screens on the crank out windows etc. Let the good times roll.
A simpler time then.
Iowa Dave
Curious to know what small outfit in Michigan. Was it Wolverine Campers in Gladwin, by chance?
Old 05-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #5

Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Curious to know what small outfit in Michigan. Was it Wolverine Campers in Gladwin, by chance?
I cannot remember the manufacturer. The logo was a yellow vinyl turtle on the side of the camper and their motto was something like “carry your home on your back.” They were sold in Hiawatha Iowa. I had the brochure for a long time. When I was looking at them I called the factory and asked what the retail price should be. The person I talked to told me $1499 and asked what I could buy one for. I hadn’t told him where I was and when I told him $1,250 her told me that was too good of a deal to believe and that the dealer had them priced it lower than they allowed. He asked who I was dealing with and I told him I’d rather not say. And hung up. Went out and bought the unit. They guy stayed in business quite a few years and sold those campers for several years and also Viking fold downs. It could have been Gladwin Michigan I just can’t remember. Maybe my wife will know. I think it weighed around a thousand pounds.

We used to camp at a state forest for a week each summer especially with my brother and sister in law and their kids. He was a very capable “nothing to it” kind of guy so as soon as we’d get to our site we would jack the camper up on the three jacks and drive from under it. Then lower it down and block it up level. Then reload it a week later and go home. Got pretty good at it and enjoyed having the empty pickup bed to haul wood, a rubber raft, fishing gear etc. We would fill the pickup with slab cutoffs from the sawmill and have a big fire every night.

The last night we’d burn all we had left. Another camper came over to our fire and said “I guess you guys don’t think it’s a campfire unless it can be seen from outer space.” First time I heard that but not the last.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The interesting thing for me is they are based on the Space Cap shell that I can get here locally in Canada for $10,000.
That caught my eye as well.

Grumpy Bear's construction of their interior cabinets uses way too heavy wood. Converting the shell into a camper is a great idea. I just wouldn't use their construction method.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

Grumpy Bear's construction of their interior cabinets uses way too heavy wood. Converting the shell into a camper is a great idea. I just wouldn't use their construction method.
I agree. A friend just ordered a unit from Tufport that looks remarkably like the Diablo SpaceKap shell. Tufport has been around for about 50 years so I don't know know copied who. Their primary use for the shells is to make work camp first aid units. Huge order going to Texas. My friend has to wait to July.

I think that we'll be able to put an interior in it for a tad less than the Grumpy Bear.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #8

Maybe the bear is grumpy cause he’s not eating because his pricing is unrealistic? The camper, fully outfitted would be about twice the price of the first house we bought. Hmmmm.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-24-2023, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2023 E19
I didn't realize that SpaceKap and Tufport were both Canadian companies.....

The pricing for the Grumpy Bear seems in line with other small size, "boutique" campers, such as Kimbo or NuCamp Cirrus 620. I don't think these are purchased by people looking for the best value for the $$$$.

However, it sure seems to be on the heavy side relative to its size....about 500lbs heaver than a Kimbo.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote