Have a jolly one - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Have a jolly one

Not going anywhere this year. One thing that helps during these times of sheltering in place is having a Christmas tree in your living room. It changes everything. So to prepare for a quiet Christmas at home we dug the boxes of ornaments out from the closet.

Went looking in town for a tree last week but to our surprise there just were not a lot of trees out there. Was anyone even selling them?

At Home Depot the tree department had a few but the prices were absurd, the exit gates at the cash register were chained shut. No one was even there. Would I have to go up into the forest with a saw for one?

We drove to Lowes to see what they might have. On the way we spotted a rare sight, a small garden center selling trees. The guy wanted ten dollars a foot. You serious? I said to him while leaving. They all looked either too tall or too scrawny. Then he said we could have any tree on the lot for fifty bucks. Now in my mind I’m thinking of back in the day when dad would take us tree shopping and he usually paid fifteen bucks for a 7 foot tree. So a first thought was that was still ridiculous.

I looked at Nancy and knew instantly that this however, would be the new normal. Told her, look around the lot for one you like. We bought the nicest one. They don’t even wrap them anymore but the guy helped me get it into the back of the truck.

I don't know if there'll be snow but....anyway... Have a jolly holly Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
snowN06.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Mine is reusable, looks real, and all I put on this year was lights because I love the lights.

Merry Christmas! It will be an odd one, that's for sure.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Not going anywhere this year. One thing that helps during these times of sheltering in place is having a Christmas tree in your living room. It changes everything. So to prepare for a quiet Christmas at home we dug the boxes of ornaments out from the closet.

Went looking in town for a tree last week but to our surprise there just were not a lot of trees out there. Was anyone even selling them?

At Home Depot the tree department had a few but the prices were absurd, the exit gates at the cash register were chained shut. No one was even there. Would I have to go up into the forest with a saw for one?

We drove to Lowes to see what they might have. On the way we spotted a rare sight, a small garden center selling trees. The guy wanted ten dollars a foot. You serious? I said to him while leaving. They all looked either too tall or too scrawny. Then he said we could have any tree on the lot for fifty bucks. Now in my mind I’m thinking of back in the day when dad would take us tree shopping and he usually paid fifteen bucks for a 7 foot tree. So a first thought was that was still ridiculous.

I looked at Nancy and knew instantly that this however, would be the new normal. Told her, look around the lot for one you like. We bought the nicest one. They don’t even wrap them anymore but the guy helped me get it into the back of the truck.

I don't know if there'll be snow but....anyway... Have a jolly holly Christmas.
Myron: There are several factors leading to a shortage (and resultant price increase) of trees this year. This is an interesting article...
https://www.businessinsider.com/chri...ession-2020-12

Our go-to farm didn't get the shipment they were promised so after 3 tries we gave up. They gave us some guidance on another place a town over and we found a beautiful 8' tree for $60. The base is so big around this must have been the top of a larger tree. Barely fit in the stand.

Best wishes to you and Nancy for a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from NJ! Here is a picture of our tree for your virtual enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 tree.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We usually put up three trees but owing to the fact that we are largely sheltering in place and not having family or friends over Rita only decorated the one for the front room. We did put the lights and garland up on the house. After 14 years we’ve got that down so it’s like the manual Escape awning. Goes up pretty fast and comes down faster. Put out a couple decorations in the cemetery and looked forward to better days ahead. Have received a few inquiries about rallies we have traditionally attended and just gotta say, it’s going to take time and we’re watching the vaccination roll out with interest. My oldest daughter works at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City and got her first shot yesterday. She deals with patients from all over the state in a regular basis. So far so good.
Hoping our camping friends have a Happy holiday season and stay safe. Lost about 15,000 miles on the road this past year. The Toyota dealer keeps telling me how overdue I am for service. Their information is from past history and not real world, real time.
Merry Christmas
Iowa Dave and Rita Smith
Attached Thumbnails
tree.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have an artificial tree. Very lifelike. Didn't put it up this year.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-Christmas.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Iowa Dave & Mrs Iowa Dave... Have a very Merry Christmas & a Hoppy New Year!!! Alf & Mrs Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave & Mrs Iowa Dave... Have a very Merry Christmas & a Hoppy New Year!!! Alf & Mrs Alf
The first year we came to the Wine Escape
We went up to Niagara on the Lake. We bought a Christmas ornament that was a wine barrel. Rita put “2014” on the side of the barrel. Each year, another date. Alas, no 2020 was added this year. Have to start on a new streak next fall I hope. Merry Christmas to you and Mary Anne. Watching for a New Year’s special, no, not on TV, on Cedar Ridge Bourbon.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Such beautiful trees, and right back at you all with best wishes for a cheerful, safe holiday. Got to show off our fifty dollar special here - yes, nothing an overload of ornaments can't beautify. Better days ahead, guys.
Attached Thumbnails
treeD.jpg   tree1.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas! May you find zero needles in your socks (the ones on your feet).
I was all for putting up the big artificial tree this year, but my wife voted for the 3' fiber optic one. And, you know, that made the vote 5 to 1. Her 5 versus my 1!
Old 12-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Lost about 15,000 miles on the road this past year. The Toyota dealer keeps telling me how overdue I am for service. Their information is from past history and not real world, real time.
Merry Christmas
Iowa Dave and Rita Smith
Know what you mean Dave, since last oil change Oct. 22 have put about 800 km on the truck. Topped off gas $51 Monday, first fill since Nov. 13 in Winnipeg. Not planning to travel anywhere until?

Merry Christmas to you and Rita (hope you got our letter), and to all our forum friends.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 E19
On the eve of Christmas eve, we wish Peace and Comfort for all persons of Goodwill. And especially Escapers! We expect to see all of you on the road next year!

Pat & John
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have an artificial tree. Very lifelike. Didn't put it up this year.
Hi: Donna D... We have a lifelike tree. Very artificial. Sheds too!!! Alf
Old 12-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We got home a few days ago from several weeks out at Big Bend NP and the Davis Mountains in west Texas. Nice to be camping again, but by the time we got home it was so close to Christmas we decided it wasn't worth paying the high prices for a tree with such little time left to enjoy it, so we just decorated one of the cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Blossom 043.JPG  
Old 12-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
For the past 5 years or so I have had Christmas in San DIego with my son and family who live there and my daughter also travels there with her family from the Bay Area. Of course, not this year. I do have an artificial tree but I was unmotivated to get it out. This afternoon I received a potted live tree from my son and daughter-in-law that came with tiny ornaments and lights. My neighbors had given me the strand of little trailer lights so they were added. It will be planted in the spring, full circle since 3 large pines have been removed in the past month.

Happy holidays to all the Escape folks far and near. May 2021 bring us back to camping and to meeting up with various members of this group. I am grateful for all of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas tree.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our home to yours where ever you are. Stay safe, warm and hopeful that 2021 brings back all the freedoms and plans canceled in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_2286.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Smile

If you're reading this you're among the fortunate, please try to share your good fortune if you can in even the smallest way (it could mean a lot to someone).

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, and and wonderful New Year!

I look forward to the day when I can share that Good Wish with many of you 'around the campfire'. Until that great day, y'all stay safe and well!

Alan E from central Texas
Old 12-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our home to yours where ever you are. Stay safe, warm and hopeful that 2021 brings back all the freedoms and plans canceled in 2020.
Hi: gabeck... Reminds me of the lament "All I want for Christmas is my two front seats". Alf
Old 12-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #18

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Happy holidays to everyone

Hoping to resume travels next year and attend rallies.
We have our 3 foot fake tree up and that's enough for us these days.
In 1993 we were moving to Tucson, living in a rental until our house was built so we bought 2 Christmas trees in buckets, they were about 5 feet tall and they didn't like being inside so we had to buy a cut tree to replace the two. The two bucket trees are now right behind our house and 20 to 30 feet tall.

The 17 is gone and it is being prepped to fit through an 8' high garage door. A very nice couple will be able to experience the Escape life. We will try to be patient for our April delivery date for the 5th wheel. Nancy doesn't like to get out of her Fiat and get into the Ram truck, but I'm sure get used to the larger size and will probably continue to pull the side mirrors in when going through the garage doors.
Everyone stay healthy and make the most of the Holidays
AZjack and Nancy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Congratulations on selling your lovely 17 and ordering a 5th wheel! Wishing you guys a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2021. We are enjoying our 19 and looking forward to camping with grandkids. Always thinking with appreciation of your kindness in showing us your Escape.
Karen and Gilbert
Karen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We got home a few days ago from several weeks out at Big Bend NP and the Davis Mountains in west Texas. Nice to be camping again, but by the time we got home it was so close to Christmas we decided it wasn't worth paying the high prices for a tree with such little time left to enjoy it, so we just decorated one of the cats.
Lol, Merry Catmus, David.
And Merry Christmas to all.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote