Hey buddy, can I bum a cigarette? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hey buddy, can I bum a cigarette?

Growing up in the 50's and 60's when smoking was the "in thing" before cancer warnings were put on cigarettes, it was a common way to strike up a conversation with a stranger by bumming a cigarette. They were cheap back then, $,25/pack and $2,00 for a carton. No longer an "in thing" smoking has become expensive and heavily taxed. Noelia has had 2 bouts with cancer and is one of the "compromised" individuals that really needs to avoid exposure. Although I'm older, I'm am probably healthier than she and I am the one that ventures out these days to forage for food and staples. Today I'm sitting at the drive thru bank (something that I abhor, in pre-pandemic days) since it is the only way banking exists currently. I was enroute to the store for some dog and human food when I realized, "Oh crap. I left my mask at home!" and would have to now turn around and return home to retrieve it. I looked at the customer next to me, in the drive thru lane, a construction individual in a company van with a mask on his neck and one hanging from the mirror (see I am a trend setter) any way I hollered to him, "Hey buddy, you have an extra mask I could bum off you" and luck would have it, he had a bag and pulled a new one out and I jumped out and retrieved it. I said thanks and then the thought came to me, years ago it would have been, "Hey buddy, can I bum a cigarette please."
Old 05-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Growing up in the 50's and 60's when smoking was the "in thing" before cancer warnings were put on cigarettes, it was a common way to strike up a conversation with a stranger by bumming a cigarette. They were cheap back then, $,25/pack and $2,00 for a carton. No longer an "in thing" smoking has become expensive and heavily taxed. Noelia has had 2 bouts with cancer and is one of the "compromised" individuals that really needs to avoid exposure. Although I'm older, I'm am probably healthier than she and I am the one that ventures out these days to forage for food and staples. Today I'm sitting at the drive thru bank (something that I abhor, in pre-pandemic days) since it is the only way banking exists currently. I was enroute to the store for some dog and human food when I realized, "Oh crap. I left my mask at home!" and would have to now turn around and return home to retrieve it. I looked at the customer next to me, in the drive thru lane, a construction individual in a company van with a mask on his neck and one hanging from the mirror (see I am a trend setter) any way I hollered to him, "Hey buddy, you have an extra mask I could bum off you" and luck would have it, he had a bag and pulled a new one out and I jumped out and retrieved it. I said thanks and then the thought came to me, years ago it would have been, "Hey buddy, can I bum a cigarette please."
Old 05-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The advice in BC is that if you follow the "six-foot distance" rule and wash your hands frequently, you do not need a mask. Mask will help prevent you from spreading the virus, but won't protect you from others.
Additionally, improper handling ( constant touching and adjusting ) of masks and gloves spreads virus.

So, when you approached the other driver to "bum" a mask, you violated the six-foot rule.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Bumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Hi Jim
Good story. I never smoked so my specialty in college became hitchhiking. On Friday afternoon after class I’d put on a sweater and a tie, pick up my already packed suitcase with a sign taped to one side and walk three blocks to highway 30 and head home from Ames with whoever stopped. I have a book of hitchhiking stories too. We serviced the salesmen’s cars from the Cedar Rapids John Deere dealer and the owners Cadillac Sedan. He was a great unassuming friendly guy named Dan Schwitter. His third daughter Sue and I were born on the same day in the same hospital in 1947. I waited on her many times when she brought the Caddy in for gas. She went to Iowa state the same fall that I did after high school. One day my first hitch hike ride took me about 15 miles to a corner turnoff. In a few minutes here comes Sue and her mother in the caddy. They both look straight at this fool with a suitcase and his thumb out , walking backward along the road and go by me without so much as hesitating. Of course nobody can hear the profanity out in the country but it made me feel better. The very next car slows down and stops. I get in. It’s a young guy with a new Pontiac with a 421 engine. Right out of the song Hot rod Lincoln the guy is flying down the highway and it’s “hold on boys I got a license to fly and that caddy pulled over and let me by. We pass the caddy at about 90 mph on a 60mph Highway. I gave miss Susan a nice nod of the head and the cool two finger wave as we went by. One finger was on my mind but they were awful good customers. Wonder what ever happened to her?
Iowa Dave
Old 05-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Your story reminded me of an Easter Sunday surprise- a neighbor dropped off a box of kleenex tied with a ribbon and Easter greeting on everyone's porch!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wonder what ever happened to her?
Reminds me of back in my high school days, I was hitchhiking with a good friend after his beater of a pickup had a flat with no spare. On a rural, mostly deserted 2-lane Oklahoma highway in a rain storm a guy stops to give two soaking wet teenagers a lift. After we climb into the back of his car, he reaches over the seat to shake our hands and introduce himself. His guitar is in a case riding shotgun up front. Told us to remember his name because we would soon be hearing him on the radio. For now he was just playing the honky-tonks but was expecting to make it big. I also wonder what ever happened to him. As for my friend from high school, I hadn't seen him in over 30 years but kept meaning to try and get in touch with him when I could find the time. Then, about 5 years ago, I read where he took his own life. It was a real punch in the gut. Don't know why he would do such a thing.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #7

High Scool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Mike View Post
Reminds me of back in my high school days, I was hitchhiking with a good friend after his beater of a pickup had a flat with no spare. On a rural, mostly deserted 2-lane Oklahoma highway in a rain storm a guy stops to give two soaking wet teenagers a lift. After we climb into the back of his car, he reaches over the seat to shake our hands and introduce himself. His guitar is in a case riding shotgun up front. Told us to remember his name because we would soon be hearing him on the radio. For now he was just playing the honky-tonks but was expecting to make it big. I also wonder what ever happened to him. As for my friend from high school, I hadn't seen him in over 30 years but kept meaning to try and get in touch with him when I could find the time. Then, about 5 years ago, I read where he took his own life. It was a real punch in the gut. Don't know why he would do such a thing.
We had 564 graduates in our high school class. Up through our 50th reunion we had several classmates who did what they could to keep tabs on fellow classmates. The obituary page(s) on the website were oddly engrossing. Suicides were noticeable, the Viet Nam war got some and then in later years, medical maladies prevailed. At one reunion, they had candles burning for those who had passed in the previous five years. I asked what had happened to two names I recognized. One guy who had become a lawman was killed in a shootout in Illinois, the other had been killed as he was robbing a bank in, I think, Colorado. That was sobering too.
Three people in my home room were a set of twins and a cousin. The third one of them, one of the twins just died last week. All three are gone now.
On a positive note, I saw one of my fifth grade teachers a couple months ago. He’s about 90 now and asked about my brothers and my wife’s brother and sister. So there’s hope.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-09-2020, 11:04 PM   #8

My best friends in grade 5 were twins.
One of them married, had a couple kids, and died in a head-on collision on a straight highway in Saskatchewan.
I read about the other in the newspaper. He tried to rob a guy by brandishing a steel pipe in a high end hotel washroom. The guy he picked on was a black belt karate instructor.
Sometimes, there is no hope.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #9

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Thumbs up I won't bum a cigarette

But, I do remember Nancy's dad and my dad who were both smokers in the 40's and 50's. One of the good memories Nancy has of her dad was him liking the Inkspots and now that Iowa Dave mentioned them she is searching internet for them. I suppose I'll need to add them to our music choices. We hope to Escape some this summer to escape out the heat, we think we can act just as we do at home. No shopping in person, masks on and much washing of hands and only use our own facilities.
Nancy, inkspots
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #10

Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
But, I do remember Nancy's dad and my dad who were both smokers in the 40's and 50's. One of the good memories Nancy has of her dad was him liking the Inkspots and now that Iowa Dave mentioned them she is searching internet for them. I suppose I'll need to add them to our music choices. We hope to Escape some this summer to escape out the heat, we think we can act just as we do at home. No shopping in person, masks on and much washing of hands and only use our own facilities.
Nancy, inkspots
AZjack
Hi Jack and Nancy and Happy Mother’s Day to Nancy. One of my benefits of buying too big of a house later in life and not planning to ever move again is that one of the personal defects that I have doesn’t have to be changed through expensive psychiatric therapy. I speak of my love of stuff including sentimental objects without a lot of value to anyone but me. To that end I went up the stairs to access the rusty record rack and pulled out this gem for Nancy’s viewing pleasure. It belonged to my Dad and and was pressed in the pre stereo days. Probably late 50s or very early 60s TOPS L1561 in new Full Frequency High Fidelity Recording. Shows 12 songs but only 11 were put on the record. Nothing like close harmony with subtle instrumentation and a liberal dose of soul. I thank my mom and dad for my continuing love of good music.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
3FBB202E-6443-4644-94FC-BAA61357E783.jpg   DBA1A7AB-5C18-4808-90AC-8DF19D80055B.jpg  
Old 05-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #11

I purchased Inkspots album "Swing High, Swing Low" at iTunes store some time back. You should be able to find it on Apple Music or Spotify or?
Old 05-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Memories.Back in 1958 to -59 I did my service in the Swedish Army.Hitchhiked from the Regiment Saturday at noon, back to my hometown and my girlfriend whom I later married.
Sometimes I could make it in four hours, faster then the train.Out on the highway Sunday afternoon going back and put the thumb out.When you where in uniform people would pick you up because most of them had been in the service and wanted to help you out.
Sometime I might get in after inspection and lights out but my buddies would dummy up my bed so I got away with being late.Yes I am still married to my sweetheart.!!!!!!
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Iowa Dave... The only "Ink spots" I remember were the ones the Dr. showed me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #14

Hi Alf
I did not know that Dr. Rorschach had an office in St. Thomas back when you were a kid. I thought he did most of his work in Switzerland. My daughter has a set of those cards but she won’t let me look at them. Something about she “didn’t want to know”.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Before the national parks thread was closed we listened to the Ink Spots “Keep Cool Fool” that Iowa Dave posted. Perfect timing and what harmonies! My folks loved the Ink Spots and I had not thought about them in years. Thanks for the memories and the great song.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #16

Here is a vertical copy
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #17

Thanks Jim
I am such a rookie
Iowa Dave
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #18

Dave,
I learned a new word today and it made me think of you. "Sagacious" look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls, wait, you probably do not have to......... you Iowan sage.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Allan, what a great story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Ink Spots

When we moved to Utah Nancy was working in the new to us house trying to find where boxes of things would go with a radio station on and a contest was announced, who could name a song? Nancy of course won. Ink Spots, If I didn't care. When I came home from a trip she was all excited about something other than unpacking.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote