Hospitals- not what they used to be - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Caveat, I have never used it, but a friend who gets attacks several times a year says it works. It’s called the Epley Maneuver and it has no adverse side effects.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That was my first experience with Vertigo. When it came back again in the morning the next day it freaked me out a little. VA doc gave me a prescription for Meclizine HCL 12.5mg tablets but said it was strictly for just in case, and not to take it unless.... ! ? !! So far, no need, and I have not taken it. I will have to look up the Epley Maneuver.

Pill cameras !! --- sounds so totally Star Trek to me.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Hmmm . . . somehow I had the mistaken idea that this forum was about the Escape trailer.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
Hmmm . . . somehow I had the mistaken idea that this forum was about the Escape trailer.

Chuck
It's posted in the Cyber Campfire threads
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
My sister was treated to the Epley maneuver by a chiropractor who knew his stuff. Two sessions in two days, lying with her head in a certain position for about 20 minutes each. Problem solved. I am told that there are tiny crystals in the ears that get out of place, and can fall back into place by that maneuver.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Can she pick up WLS Chicago?
Old 10-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
My sister was treated to the Epley maneuver by a chiropractor who knew his stuff. Two sessions in two days, lying with her head in a certain position for about 20 minutes each. Problem solved. I am told that there are tiny crystals in the ears that get out of place, and can fall back into place by that maneuver.
This procedure works as my wife has Meniere’s and has had surgery twice for it. She does this side to side exercise but only lays on each side for 1 minute. She does this in the morning and before going to bed for about 20 minutes. It has greatly reduced her symptoms and the severity of the attack’s when she does get them . I even do them myself and feel better afterwards.

David.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
This procedure works as my wife has Meniere’s and has had surgery twice for it. She does this side to side exercise but only lays on each side for 1 minute. She does this in the morning and before going to bed for about 20 minutes. It has greatly reduced her symptoms and the severity of the attack’s when she does get them . I even do them myself and feel better afterwards.

David.
My son's is different than Menier's. I believe he has used the Epley maneuver with limited results. Acupuncture has helped some.

Tom
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #29

Myron, Your hospital experience is the way it should be. Eventually I will relate more specifics of mine. In the meantime, early today I walked over a quarter of a mile and this afternoon about 3/4 of a mile. It felt great! I have not been weak at all, it not for my surgery I think I could do pushups. Also, we have a good size unfinished basement, and as I lay my eyes on my bicycle, I say why not? I rode in a loop for a while enjoying every turn of the pedals. I definitely do not feel 80 years old.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #30

Trailer: 2012 E19
What I wonder is why the hospital didn’t look for the obvious (an ear problem) in relation to vertigo, and instead went into all those expensive scans and tests for possible (but more rare) causes? Talk about running the meter! No wonder insurance is so expensive, when health care facilities milk the situation. I understand the desire to be thorough (and the desire to avoid malpractice claims), but it’s almost like diagnosing the HVAC system when the toilet won’t flush!
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Another disconcerting scenario is when the doctor doesn’t know why your hurt and even sends you for an x-ray twice with no results. Then your spouse questions you on the symptoms, uses the internet for a diagnosis, gets it right and a change in diet fixes the problem. Winners: me at last, and insurance companies and health care facilities first and foremost.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The good news is with all them tests they seemed to confirm I may be (might be) mostly healthy as a horse. No flags. So I'm ok with that.
Funny thing is they never swabbed my nose.
Attached Thumbnails
Geezer2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
What I wonder is why the hospital didn’t look for the obvious (an ear problem) in relation to vertigo, and instead went into all those expensive scans and tests for possible (but more rare) causes? Talk about running the meter! No wonder insurance is so expensive, when health care facilities milk the situation. I understand the desire to be thorough (and the desire to avoid malpractice claims), but it’s almost like diagnosing the HVAC system when the toilet won’t flush!
Liability! If the medics don't run every test in the book and something comes up. they will have lawyers crawling up their hinie
Old 10-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The good news is with all them tests they seemed to confirm I may be (might be) mostly healthy as a horse. No flags. So I'm ok with that.
Funny thing is they never swabbed my nose.
Hope the doctor had a good horse sense!

I'd top blowing smoke at the horse if my health depended on it
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #35

I started this thread with the desire to get my poor hospital experience off my chest. This narrative will not be complete, but will give you a good idea anyway.

I ask for a blanket because I am cold because the room is cold. OK, I will go get you one. It never arrives. I am supposed to be drinking water, but the container was never filled initially. Eventually it is filled, but never refilled. You have to push the call button for every little thing, and the response is forever. For instance, when my IV ran out there is an audible signal that is not responded to. When I call I am told "I will tell someone". Hours later, yes, hours!, it will get changed. The aide that helps me get back in bed is very rough, when told she went way too fast "that is the way I do it. I had already figured out how to get myself in final position, but she fought me on raising the head of the bed to let me do it. This is the same aide that jammed the oxygen sensor on my finger like she was mad at someone. I am supposed to walk with assistance, but no one offers. Yeah, I know it has been a few days since a shower.
The food: The worst I have ever eaten with one exception, the meatloaf which I have always avoided anywhere but home. I would not say it was great, but it was edible. Not so for the days old wilted salad and spinach. Communication with the kitchen was futile, written or verbal. I do not drink coffee or regular milk as I am lactose intolerant (which is on my chart). There is no way to stop the coffee or get lactose free milk (later found they do not have any). I guess I could go on, but I am sure I've gotten the idea across.
We could let this thread die at this point. Thanks to all.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
I started this thread with the desire to get my poor hospital experience off my chest. This narrative will not be complete, but will give you a good idea anyway.

I ask for a blanket because I am cold because the room is cold. OK, I will go get you one. It never arrives. I am supposed to be drinking water, but the container was never filled initially. Eventually it is filled, but never refilled. You have to push the call button for every little thing, and the response is forever. For instance, when my IV ran out there is an audible signal that is not responded to. When I call I am told "I will tell someone". Hours later, yes, hours!, it will get changed. The aide that helps me get back in bed is very rough, when told she went way too fast "that is the way I do it. I had already figured out how to get myself in final position, but she fought me on raising the head of the bed to let me do it. This is the same aide that jammed the oxygen sensor on my finger like she was mad at someone. I am supposed to walk with assistance, but no one offers. Yeah, I know it has been a few days since a shower.
The food: The worst I have ever eaten with one exception, the meatloaf which I have always avoided anywhere but home. I would not say it was great, but it was edible. Not so for the days old wilted salad and spinach. Communication with the kitchen was futile, written or verbal. I do not drink coffee or regular milk as I am lactose intolerant (which is on my chart). There is no way to stop the coffee or get lactose free milk (later found they do not have any). I guess I could go on, but I am sure I've gotten the idea across.
We could let this thread die at this point. Thanks to all.
Reminds me Linda’s daughter had some cancer removed from her leg . She’s told to stay off her leg . She hobbles out and tells us this . She is just standing there on one foot on the second floor . I had to find her a wheelchair to get her downstairs and to her car . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I lost 40 lbs while in the hospital this summer, my weight is now perfect, no more high blood pressure pills, in fact I'm medicine free.........at least before I start chemo next week.........
Old 10-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I lost 40 lbs while in the hospital this summer, my weight is now perfect, no more high blood pressure pills, in fact I'm medicine free.........at least before I start chemo next week.........
Good on needing any more pills ! Sending positive thoughts your way ! You are strong ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I am pretty sure you will get a survey from the hospItal regarding your care, food, etc. You’ll have plenty to tell them.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Harley, In case you did not catch it earlier, our friend (a gal) seemingly underwent the same procedure several years ago. Underwent the chemo as well. She has done extremely well, looks and acts great. About my wife's age, 77.

Tom