Huge Storm - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Huge Storm

Watching the weather channel and it appears a huge storm is moving thru the Midwest. Just coming into Iowa from the west. Storm is moving at 100 mph. Internal winds at 90+. Possible tornados. Take cover folks!

Edit: Multiple tornado warnings for the area. Norther Missouri, All of Iowa. Southern MN.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Watching the weather channel and it appears a huge storm is moving thru the Midwest. Just coming into Iowa from the west. Storm is moving at 100 mph. Internal winds at 90+. Possible tornados. Take cover folks!

Edit: Multiple tornado warnings for the area. Norther Missouri, All of Iowa. Southern MN.
It's currently 64 degrees here in southern Minnesota and the humidity is 100%. Stifling! This is December 15th for god's sake!

Our condo unit sits about 80 feet above the Root River with a perfect view to the west. I'm looking for tornadoes, but have been disappointed so far.

OTOH, yesterday Terry realized our small freezer tripped the GFCI when she opened the door to get chicken breasts. It about knocked her over. Nothing like the smell of rotting protein! Because of the temp's, one west window is wide open and the north window has a floor fan on high exhausting that rotten smell.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
It's currently 64 degrees here in southern Minnesota and the humidity is 100%. Stifling! This is December 15th for god's sake!

Our condo unit sits about 80 feet above the Root River with a perfect view to the west. I'm looking for tornadoes, but have been disappointed so far.

OTOH, yesterday Terry realized our small freezer tripped the GFCI when she opened the door to get chicken breasts. It about knocked her over. Nothing like the smell of rotting protein! Becasue of the temp's one west window is wide open and the north window had a floor fan on high exhausting that rotten smell.

Enjoy,

Perry
It's 85 with 65 humidity here on the southern gulf coast. Dead still. All numbers a bit unusual for us here.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #4

Just looked at the weather service forecast. In a few hours the temp will drop from 64 to 26 degrees. The wind gusts are only predicted for 60 mph though. However, we know what happens when mother nature decides to have drastic changes.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 5.0
OTOH, yesterday Terry realized our small freezer tripped the GFCI when she opened the door to get chicken breasts. It about knocked her over. Nothing like the smell of rotting protein! Because of the temp's, one west window is wide open and the north window has a floor fan on high exhausting that rotten smell.

GFCI outlets can be replaced with a single outlet type, it still passes for occupancy permits.
At least it does here in STL…

Garbage disposals, fridges, freezers are all better off not being on GFCI outlets.

Tornado weather is common here, I don’t live far from the Amazon warehouse disaster.

Have a plan, build a shelter if you can, I wall up around the underneath the basement steps.It’s the trees and the flying debris that get you.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We had a little wind here in New Mexico today. Prolonged gusts over 5o mph much of the day but fortunately the guy wires held. I was planning to replace that canopy anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Windy1.jpg   windy3.jpg  
Old 12-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We had a little wind here in New Mexico today. Prolonged gusts over 5o mph much of the day but fortunately the guy wires held. I was planning to replace that canopy anyway...
Nothing a little bit od duct tape won't fix!
Old 12-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Strong winds all day in the Front Range of Colorado. Highest recorded wind topped out at 107 mph outside Lamar. We had winds up to 91 mph today in Boulder. Lots of fences down not to mention trucks and trailers. Kansas State line is closed both ways.

Good day to stay off the roads for everyone. We finished the potato leek soup tonight. Time to snuggle up. Gonna be a cold, windy night.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Storm

The storm has passed our place about an hour ago. Wind was 70 mph. Temp is dropping now.
It was 73F today. We had no damage, I spent about an hour and a half prepping today. The weather people here get pretty far out whenever there’s a storm coming in and are liberal with their warnings and maximum projections. So the order was to go downstairs and put on a bike helmet and crawl under a table. I got as far as setting next to my library table in the inner sanctum.with my helmet on. Didn’t have a bike helmet so this one had to do. It’s an artifact from a garage sale from 49 years ago.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
F49D16C9-6B92-4126-A784-7B43BD36B4A6a.jpg  
Old 12-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
GFCI outlets can be replaced with a single outlet type, it still passes for occupancy permits.
At least it does here in STL…

Garbage disposals, fridges, freezers are all better off not being on GFCI outlets.
Since we have a boiler for heat in the floor, we have the furnace backup/air conditioning unit upstairs in our loft where I also keep some bolt boxes, etc. and the small freezer.

Today I found out that since it's not in a kitchen or a basement a GFCI did not need to be installed, so I removed the GFCI for a standard outlet. Hopefully this will never happen again.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Damaged my observatory in NE Kansas a little. Friends pitched in and covered it until I get home at the end of December.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The storm has passed our place about an hour ago. Wind was 70 mph. Temp is dropping now.
It was 73F today. We had no damage, I spent about an hour and a half prepping today. The weather people here get pretty far out whenever there’s a storm coming in and are liberal with their warnings and maximum projections. So the order was to go downstairs and put on a bike helmet and crawl under a table. I got as far as setting next to my library table in the inner sanctum.with my helmet on. Didn’t have a bike helmet so this one had to do. It’s an artifact from a garage sale from 49 years ago.
Iowa Dave
Mmmmmmm Sgt Shultz from Hogans Hero’s

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #13

Jawhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Mmmmmmm Sgt Shultz from Hogans Hero’s

David
Air raid warden issue I’m told . No liner. And pretty hard on my head.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
"OTOH, yesterday Terry realized our small freezer tripped the GFCI when she opened the door to get chicken breasts. It about knocked her over. Nothing like the smell of rotting protein!
Good luck getting the smell out. We had a squirrel short out an electric service line while we were away on vacation. Last home on the line, no one knew power was out....now that freezer stunk to high heaven, forever after.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Be careful! Wind gusts hit 100mph yesterday in Denver.
It’s a nasty one.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
I see you have the essentials up high over your right shoulder.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Good luck getting the smell out. We had a squirrel short out an electric service line while we were away on vacation. Last home on the line, no one knew power was out....now that freezer stunk to high heaven, forever after.
2 words: Ozone Generator.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
another 2 words

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Might work.

My experience was decades ago, in a rented farm house, the owners freezer....I never learned the ultimate outcome of that funky freezer. May it stink in peace. Phew!
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #19

The Motto

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlynnrich View Post
I see you have the essentials up high over your right shoulder.
The motto “Be Prepared” reverberates in what I do every day. It is true that it has pushed me to at times have “excess inventory”. On another forum we have been discussing the psychological angst that comes with throwing things away that may have utility in the future.

To that end I finished up a 750 ml today and promised myself I would not buy another until I opened and finished my reserve of that product. I’m trying, honest I am.
When we cleaned up the rubble from my grandpas barn we dug out the feed bunks from when he farmed with Belgians. About 40 empty pint bottles that grandma never knew existed buried in hay. So I come by it honestly.

When you visit me, I’ll offer you something before you go back on the road. It’s your choice whether you can use a good butcher knife, 4 way tire wrench on piece of wire shelving. I’ve managed the “free tarp” at more than one rally. Alf, I have those boots for you if we ever get back to the Falls.

No damage here today after the blow last night. Spent time prepping that paid off.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-17-2021, 07:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
They work great used one in a rent house to get the smoke smell out of it when the idiots smoked in it major knowing lease said non smokers only

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote