Hurricane - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Also in Dayton is one of the Wright Brothers bicycle shops and a visitor center on the hill where one of the first flights happened. It’s right outside of one of the fences around tha base. I put in all the it infrastructure there in the early 2000’s.
If you're ever in the Columbus GA area, you don't want to miss the 'Infantry' museum at Ft Benning.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wright brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Also in Dayton is one of the Wright Brothers bicycle shops and a visitor center on the hill where one of the first flights happened. It’s right outside of one of the fences around tha base. I put in all the it infrastructure there in the early 2000’s.
The Wright brothers also lived in Cedar Rapids Iowa, my home town. There is a school named after them but otherwise they don’t get much press. When I was a kid in grade school, Wright school opened up and we took a class trip over there as they had a documentary movie and some Wright brothers photos of the house they lived in and other, I remember in the movie a picture of a nice swiftly flowing creek and the quote
“The Wright brothers visited a creek nearby often. They threw stones at the Indian women washing clothes in the creek”.
I don’t know if it was true or not but I know my Dad had some choice words about what he thought of the Wright brothers when I asked him about it. He had high regard for Native American people. How times have changed.

On our Boy Scout trip to Florida and Alabama we stayed at Fort Knox KY and at the AFB in Montgomery Alabama. Then spent two days a Eglin AFB where we got a wonderful tour of the base and learned about the 16th Special Operations based at Hurlbet Field. We toured an AC 130 gunship with avionics made in Cedar Rapids. The PR guy who took us around said no pictures inside the AC130. One of dads pointed out the components he had helped to develop as well as his high security clearance card. They treated us extremely well the whole time we were there and fed us well too
Old 08-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I had 10 Eagle Scouts and was awarded the National Presidents Scoutmaster award of Merit and the District award of merit. But the campfires, Dutch oven concoctions, and nights in tents in the rain and snow were the real awards and rewards. Have a great week Jim and Noelia.
Iowa Dave

Yep. I was an Eagle Scout and OA Brotherhood in the 60s in Houston. I’ll never forget my scoutmaster; a Vice President of the University of Houston, black belt in karate, veteran of Korean War and just the best example ever. We went camping every month without fail, El Rancho Cima Scout camp every summer 5 years straight, and Philmont twice.

Great times.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
If you're ever in the Columbus GA area, you don't want to miss the 'Infantry' museum at Ft Benning.
Certainly agree with that. Daughter, son-in-law and family were posted there from 2017-2020. First time in the museum our granddaughter rushed us around to see the displays she liked, the second time we could take our time and enjoy it all. A great experience for just a suggested $5 donation.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:27 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
Supposedly those gun ships could place a shell every square foot in the target area, often used to clear away natural debris, leaving a stark, stripped area.