Hurricane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Hurricane

To those Escape owners in the path of the hurricane Ida that is heading towards Louisiana. It is now predicted to e a cat 4 hurricane. Please take any and all precautions and get to safe ground.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
She's coming on, boys,

"She's coming on, boys, she's coming on strong". So said the Capt. of the Andrea Gail, a longliner fishing ship in the book and movie of "The Perfect Storm", caught in a North Atlantic hurricane.

And the mate on the Edmund Fitzgerald words were, "Fellas, it's been good to know ya", before she went down, caught in a Great Lakes "hurricane" of a blow.

Bon chance to all on that coast. And do the right thing...evacuate, if suggested or ordered.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
To those Escape owners in the path of the hurricane Ida that is heading towards Louisiana. It is now predicted to e a cat 4 hurricane. Please take any and all precautions and get to safe ground.

David
What he said!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Poor New Orleans! Although I'm outside of the projected path of the storm, the Florida Panhandle will be inundated by those trying to find food and supplies after the storm passes, as we and coastal Texas will be the nearest areas with services. Locals know this and are stocking up: the nearest gas station to me was out of regular and mid-grade gas earlier today.

I came home yesterday from a trip. I should have stayed in Wisconsin.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #5

It's stormy in Wisconsin, and hot

You can run, but you can't hide.
Reported tornadoes to the West of me right now, tropical heat here now, but no hurricane about or in the forecast. I've had my fill of Summer.....heat. Give me some Fall, and the colors. Ahhhh....it's a coming.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #6

It was nice along the Mississippi River in Wisconsin earlier this month. I was in the Driftless area. Sorry the heat has returned. It was hot in southern Ohio as well, my last major stop before returning home.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We were in the Driftless area of NE Iowa earlier this month too. We got some rain and a little heat but all in all had a good 5 day camp. I stayed in camp, the kids and grandkids traveled around and had a good time. Caught some trout and cooked some good meals. Baked some Breakfast dishes in the Dutch oven and toasted cinnamon raisin bread on the wire toaster on the Everest Stove not at all crowded where we were. About 10 to 15% occupancy even on the weekend.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #8

Driftless area

The State Forest campground Iowa Dave spoke about is the top favorite of mine to visit. There is a Driftless visitor center, a federal, cool, new building nearby on the river with river life exhibits.

Driftless Area Visitor Center - Lansing Iowa (mylansingiowa.com)

All along the river are interesting, old, some beautiful river towns, places to see, things to do, some killer good breweries (Potosi, WI)

Ever consider a long haul to attend the Mississippi River Escape Rendezvous? Worth the effort. It's in Thomson, IL, and the Driftless features peter out just north of there, but there are local palisades.

Big city attractions are swell, but I sure do like mucking about in the Driftless.

Glad you had a good impression of the area.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #9

Sorry to hijack the thread, but you have to admit I did a good job.

Now, back to Hurricane Ida-- the storm may hit land as a Cat 4. This is bad news. But the projected path has drifted west a bit which helps New Orleans a little. Also, Ida is moving quickly, which makes its path more predictable and lessens the destruction from the wind. At this point all I expect here is a lot of rain.

I'll start another thread on the Driftless, because it is a little known area of the country that is worth discussion.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #10

Totally hi-jacked thread

And so it goes.

We've enjoyed some time at Fort Pickens, FL, down the street from you, and at Blackwater S.P.

Last I read, the Fort Pickens access road was washed, washed away by some hurricane.....maybe last years, or the year before. Last time we were there, they were talking ferry service to the Fort Pickens spit only, as they were tired of rebuiding the road. Things sure can change, sometimes abruptly.

We met some swell fellas down there and went for a bit of a paddle. That sand is WHITE! Pictures I took and shared were sent to pals back in Wisconsin, during our February FL visit. I told them it was snow. Sure looked like snow to me.
Attached Thumbnails
G0080315.jpg   G0010108.jpg  
Old 08-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #11

When my grandfather moved down here in the 1940s he thought the beach sand was salt at first glance. It's pretty-- the "Miracle Strip" is probably one of the prettiest beaches in the U.S.

The road to Ft. Pickens was relocated away from the beach and reopened after Hurricane Sally. Not enough imo-- it needs to be on the Santa Rosa Sound side of the island. The campground was open but it has closed for the hurricane.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Off topic, but I love this.

The LaSal mountains outside of Moab Utah were named because the early explorers could not believe that was snow on those mountains.

Instead they believed it to be salt. La Sal means salt.
Attached Thumbnails
LaSalle Rqnge.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

Ever consider a long haul to attend the Mississippi River Escape Rendezvous? Worth the effort. It's in Thomson, IL, and the Driftless features peter out just north of there, but there are local palisades.
So since this thread "drifted" might I add for Mike's benefit if he would consider a quick trip up to this rally because there's a good chance a great site #61 will be available on the 23rd all depending on whether we are able to cross the border Sept. 21.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Shell oils Rig/drill ship "Shell Mars" broke loose and adrift 130 NM in GOM. sea are Reported to be 85' and all life rafts have been washed away. Ships crane swinging wildly. 105 crew aboard... Keep these folks in your prayers
Old 08-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
So since this thread "drifted" might I add for Mike's benefit if he would consider a quick trip up to this rally because there's a good chance a great site #61 will be available on the 23rd all depending on whether we are able to cross the border Sept. 21.

Thanks, but I'm home for the season. My original plan was to head east from Wisconsin, attend the Niagara Wine Escape, then go to Maine. I planned to return home by going down the East Coast. But that was just too much. So after visiting the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio I headed home. I'll hit the Mississippi rally some year.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #16

The USAF museum at Dayton and the Naval Museum at Pensacola were two of my all time favorite stops on Boy Scout high adventures. Also the overnight in the Battleship Alabama at Mobile was awful good too.
Glad you had a good trip.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The USAF museum at Dayton and the Naval Museum at Pensacola were two of my all time favorite stops on Boy Scout high adventures. Also the overnight in the Battleship Alabama at Mobile was awful good too.
Iowa Dave
Dave did you go down into the submarine next to the Big "A", talk about comparisons, going from big to tiny........
Old 08-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #18

Yea, we toured the submarine. I had previously been though the one in Chicago at the museum (a captured WWII German submarine) in several places
I had to struggle and duck at every doorway.

Every time I looked for two scouts at Pensacola they were in “simulator” seats. I’d get after them to get to walking around and all they would say was “we want to fly jets”. That was in 1993. About ten years later they both came to the Christmas potluck with their helmets and flight suits. They were home for a few days. One was flying an F15 and the other an A-10. They indeed wanted to “fly jets”. Another one of the boys ended up flying Jumbo Jets in the Pacific Rim. My son became a cockpit display designer on several planes working for Rockwell Avionics. Currently working on a “water bomber” that is being built in Canada.
You never know how you will influence young people by showing them parts of the world they wouldn’t have seen without your involvement. I had 10 Eagle Scouts and was awarded the National Presidents Scoutmaster award of Merit and the District award of merit. But the campfires, Dutch oven concoctions, and nights in tents in the rain and snow were the real awards and rewards. Have a great week Jim and Noelia.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks Dave,
Looking forward to Chilliwack and Osoyoos next May for E19 pickup and rally............
Old 08-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
Also in Dayton is one of the Wright Brothers bicycle shops and a visitor center on the hill where one of the first flights happened. It’s right outside of one of the fences around tha base. I put in all the it infrastructure there in the early 2000’s.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote