I am glad I own an Escape. I worked in Elkhart IN. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I am glad I own an Escape. I worked in Elkhart IN.

Here is what the dealers are saying about RV quality coming out of Elkhart Indiana.

https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-qu...oducing-1017b/
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thanks for posting, an interesting read.

There's some mighty rich irony in the closing paragraph (must read the article first) ...

...“Faced with many of the same kinds of supply chain and labor issues plaguing most industries over the past year, the RV industry has overcome these challenges and produced a record number of RVs month after month,” said Jeff Rutherford, President & CEO of Airxcel and RV Industry Association Chairman.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I read an article yesterday "How to Pick The Best RV." THESE are the brands the article said to stay away from:
Thor Hurricane
Gulf Stream
Forest River
Coachmen
Fleetwood
Holiday Rambler
Keystone
Winnebago
Coleman
Jayco
Itasca
Airstream
Champion
Dutchmen
Newmar
Tiffin
Attached Thumbnails
HowToPickBestRV.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I read an article yesterday "How to Pick The Best RV." THESE are the brands the article said to stay away from:
Thor Hurricane
Gulf Stream
Forest River
Coachmen
Fleetwood
Holiday Rambler
Keystone
Winnebago
Coleman
Jayco
Itasca
Airstream
Champion
Dutchmen
Newmar
Tiffin
Hi: Donna D... Almost everyone on that list Thor owns!!! They now own Airxcel too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Interesting about current products but the travel trailer world has always be a bunch of cheap junk with a few good things in the mix.

Hopefully Escape Trailer doesn't decide to keep pace with their manufacturing counterparts and over produce exceeding their limit of acceptable quality just to pump out more units.

My GCD is Oct 2023. Maybe things will improve a bit by then.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Thor Hurricane
Gulf Stream
Forest River
Coachmen
Fleetwood
Holiday Rambler
Keystone
Winnebago
Coleman
Jayco
Itasca
Airstream
Champion
Dutchmen
Newmar
Tiffin
That's pretty much covers every unit being produced with the exception of Escape, Casita and Oliver.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Thor Hurricane
Gulf Stream
Forest River
Coachmen
Fleetwood
Holiday Rambler
Keystone
Winnebago
Coleman
Jayco
Itasca
Airstream
Champion
Dutchmen
Newmar
Tiffin

So... all RVs? The main reason for any other brand to be missing from that list is that there are few enough of them produced that they don't register in someone's "complaint counter".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
That's pretty much covers every unit being produced with the exception of Escape, Casita and Oliver.
... and dozens, perhaps hundreds, of other similarly low-production brands.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
To be fair, each of those brands had different issues. Keystone was electrical. Watch those failing slide motors. Another was plumbing... filling the underbelly with fresh water was common. At yet another.... leaking roofs!

This was Airstream
Most common issue: Brakes and trailer hitch problems

Airstream is iconic, but even this brand has its share of troubles. While not as common as with many of the other majors, they are worth paying attention to when buying. Improper welding has been known to cause separation of the tow ball and the coupler, and there are recalls around trailer brakes locking up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
To be fair, each of those brands had different issues. Keystone was electrical...
There are many electrical problems with Escapes discussed in this forum, but Escape doesn't make the list based on them... perhaps because the list is based on counting anecdotes about issues, not any objective assessment of verified problems in proportion to production.

It's good to have a reference of common problem areas by brand. I don't see any value in "don't buy this brand" lists.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Thanks for posting, an interesting read.

There's some mighty rich irony in the closing paragraph (must read the article first) ...

...“Faced with many of the same kinds of supply chain and labor issues plaguing most industries over the past year, the RV industry has overcome these challenges and produced a record number of RVs month after month,” said Jeff Rutherford, President & CEO of Airxcel and RV Industry Association Chairman.

Jeff should spend some time investigating complaints and recalling the Suburban SDS2 cooktop. I don’t think anyone who inquired with Airxcel/Suburban even heard back from the company. At least no one posted that they did.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I read this article yesterday and had the very same thought! I’m happy I not only have an Escape, but that I got one when I did. And that my beloved “Zen Purple” has been mostly trouble-free so far, after 3 seasons of camping. They say happiness is not getting what you want, it’s wanting what you have… if so I must be a happy camper!

I think most everyone lucky enough to have one feels the same! That was a sobering article, for sure.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jeff should spend some time investigating complaints and recalling the Suburban SDS2 cooktop. I don’t think anyone who inquired with Airxcel/Suburban even heard back from the company. At least no one posted that they did.
That a big part of the irony, IMO - clearly Jeff (and apparently both the corporation he leads and the trade association he represents) measures 'success' in production numbers, not any measure of post-production product performance or support.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
What irritates me reading this is that they keep selling crap, knowing it will have problems, and only tell the customer about potential problems getting parts or repairs after they have significant problems. Like it is all someone else's problem and not their problem for selling units they know are defective.

Unfortunately, that's also the way Escape deals with problems these days.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
To be fair, each of those brands had different issues. Keystone was electrical. Watch those failing slide motors. Another was plumbing... filling the underbelly with fresh water was common. At yet another.... leaking roofs!

This was Airstream
Most common issue: Brakes and trailer hitch problems

Airstream is iconic, but even this brand has its share of troubles. While not as common as with many of the other majors, they are worth paying attention to when buying. Improper welding has been known to cause separation of the tow ball and the coupler, and there are recalls around trailer brakes locking up.

Wasn’t Airstream bought out by Thor as well?
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #16

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
What irritates me reading this is that they keep selling crap, knowing it will have problems, and only tell the customer about potential problems getting parts or repairs after they have significant problems. Like it is all someone else's problem and not their problem for selling units they know are defective.

Unfortunately, that's also the way Escape deals with problems these days.
I totally agree that RV dealers have made a load of money over the past year and a half knowingly selling “crap” products. However, people continue to buy them. Many people do not do any research or very minimal research, so they shoulder some of the responsibility. That being said, nothing will change until people unite and legislation is passed to hold RV manufacturers accountable for slipshod quality.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
The big RV mfrs are producing record numbers of poo piles. Their quality certainly stinks!
And they take pride in their achievement. Go figure...
Old 09-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 21NE 2022
Question Quality issues in ETI trailers?

We just retired and looking at Escape trailers so some comments here about the quality even at ETI were troubling. Given that any trailer towed down the road wil have issues, how would you owners compare the quality of Escapes with other trailers?
GTR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some of us call them "SOB" for some other brand.......
Old 09-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
We just retired and looking at Escape trailers so some comments here about the quality even at ETI were troubling. Given that any trailer towed down the road wil have issues, how would you owners compare the quality of Escapes with other trailers?
We have yet to step foot in an Escape trailer (although we hope to accept a local Ambassador’s offer to see theirs as soon as our schedule allows). We’ve gravitated to Escape mainly because we want the longevity of molded fiberglass.

We’re hopeful that it’s a quality trailer, of course, but having walked through and been disappointed with the feel of some other brands that are supposed to be the higher end of their class (i.e., Winnebago and Grand Design), we’ve come to the conclusion that RV quality is relative.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote