I am glad I own an Escape. I worked in Elkhart IN. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
We just retired and looking at Escape trailers so some comments here about the quality even at ETI were troubling. Given that any trailer towed down the road will have issues, how would you owners compare the quality of Escapes with other trailers?
All of the following is IMO of course ...

I'm a retiree having recently taken delivery of a new Escape as my second fiberglass camper (~16 years with a Casita). While I've not yet put many miles on my Escape, I have undertaken a deep and aggressive inspection of it's 'as-built condition' with what I'll immodestly claim is a skilled-eye for such. Here's why I'm satisfied with my decision in rank order ...
  1. Robust molded fiberglass shell
  2. Robust molded fiberglass shell (seriously, it's worth repeating if considering / comparing to any other construction)
  3. Good layout / overall design
  4. Attractive weight and overall size
  5. Good interior finishes / materials
  6. Robust interior construction
  7. Good 'customization' options
  8. Price point
Compared to current RV market offerings at large the 'quality' ranges from average in a few areas, to varying degrees of above average in most areas, to outstanding in a few more (that fiberglass shell and the minimal-trouble longevity it promises paramount among the latter).

Methinks that broad characterizations about 'quality' are of limited value and meaning (the devil is in the details and it varies depending on exactly what one is looking at on any RV) - but in general the Escape holds it's own or better against most RV's, especially at the price point.

Please note I'm not suggesting an Escape is "The Best" overall or even in any particular area, nor am I suggesting it's "Perfect" (as you suggest - What Is?). I am suggesting that if one finds an Escape model that fits their lifestyle needs, it's unlikely they'll regret the decision, rather more likely they'll be glad of it in the long run.

Again, all IMO of course, YMMV, Happy Shopping!

Signed,
A satisfied Escape owner, not a rabid Escape advocate
(yes, I am a 'rabid advocate' of molded fiberglass construction, but there are others-than-Escape which offer that)
(and yes, it's possible that ETI could change in ways that render my satisfactory experience moot)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Centex is right. They are good trailers and I would buy one again. Except I am not going to part with my 5.0.

I'm starting to use it regularly now and the more I use it, the more I like it.

Trailers experience an earthquake every time you move them. It's amazing they stay together as well as they do. You will have things to fix, no matter what.

I love mine, so does my wife.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
We just retired and looking at Escape trailers so some comments here about the quality even at ETI were troubling. Given that any trailer towed down the road wil have issues, how would you owners compare the quality of Escapes with other trailers?
My wife and I love our Escape and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if we were in the market for one. We researched mostly stick builds for a few years before running across Escape and there is a world of difference IMO.
No trailer is going to be perfect and you also cant please everyone. It helps to be able to do some DIY as things will go wrong on occasion but that is the nature of the trailer going down the road like you say.
Escape can have some problems but for the most part they are minor and fixable.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
We just retired and looking at Escape trailers so some comments here about the quality even at ETI were troubling. Given that any trailer towed down the road wil have issues, how would you owners compare the quality of Escapes with other trailers?
I only have a deposit in on an Escape but after 7 months of researching travel trailers here is what I have learned about Escape and its quality.

Escape is one of the few (the only?) fiberglass trailer manufacturer that separates the shell from the interior in a way that causes leaks to run through the shell to the bottom of the trailer and out through weep holes. In other words if its an exterior leak water will most likely not find its way to pool inside on the floor and cause damage to wood. This is one of the major weak points with traditional/stick trailers.

Escape trailers overall are made well but the components are no better than any other traditional trailer. I have learned that I will probably not be able to count on a warranty as Escape does not really support customers in regards to component issues. There are exceptions and you will read about people having success with axles (Dexter) warranty work and other things like windows etc. But anything Dometic is a nightmare as they don't pay enough for the labor so no one will do the work for you. Basically don't buy an Escape if you aren't able to accept that the fridge, AC, powered awning, furnace etc may need to be replaced on your dime.

There are complaints about issues with electrical and plumbing but it seems to be more rare than component issues. If any of the issues do happen on numerous trailers (front solar panels ripping off) Escape seems to actively work on solutions and get the design flaws fixed for future customers. They don't seem to offer much help for existing customers. They have even been known to deny warranty work to a customer and instead blame it on the manufacturer of a component. Numerous threads about improperly installed front solar panels ripping off and Escape pushing people towards Gopower to get it fixed under the Gopower warranty.

From all the research I've done there doesn't seem to be a better RV one can buy for the money. And that is probably why you may read a lot of heated discussion about quality. None of us (especially those with deposits in) want to see the company led down a path of reduced quality due to an investment group now running the show. I would get your deposit in soon and then enjoy a smart decision in about a year and a half when the trailer is done. Its doubtful the quality will tank that much in that time frame. But who knows what Escape trailers will be like 2+ years from now if you wait.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
All of the following is IMO of course
I agree with how Centex thinks of this. Not to downplay the problems with mechanical systems that people have experienced, but the quality fiberglass hull is a real draw.

I know some people have had no problems with stick built trailer construction, but the number of people I know directly that had big problems is daunting.

One coworker got a leak in a roof seam in his 7 year old trailer. About 1/4 of the floor rotted and it could not be repaired economically.

Another coworker had a leak at an exterior light. His 4 year old high buck 5th wheel had a 5' x 3' area of the outside wall delaminate, unrepairable.

I had a hybrid, and after 6 years all three bunks started delaminating and rotting from the bottom. Kept it 4 more years and then sold it for essentially nothing.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Very interesting initial post and supplemental posts. It truly is alarming to see the poor quality being produced and the lack of accountability & responsibility from many of these manufacturers. Truly appreciate the candid thoughts shared here by members of this forum. Hoping Escape continues with building great product. 😀
Jim_and_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #27

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I still have another 13 months until our 21C is ready and all this talk makes me want to take the Fiberglass Box on a magnitude 7.5 journey around the US and let you know the results.

I'm sure something will go wrong but I doubt I'll have rotten walls, rotten floors and a leaky roof.

My guess is that getting my Doctorate in Seismology in the Escape will entail a few electrical gremlins and some leaky plumbing after the long rolling earthquake.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
all this talk makes me want to take the Fiberglass Box on a magnitude 7.5 journey around the US and let you know the results.

I'm sure something will go wrong but I doubt I'll have rotten walls, rotten floors and a leaky roof.

My guess is that getting my Doctorate in Seismology in the Escape will entail a few electrical gremlins and some leaky plumbing after the long rolling earthquake.
You really don't have to do that, many of us have done that and more.

My trailers have gone from Alaska to Baja and Vancouver to Newfoundland and many, many miles of gravel pot holed forest service roads, not to mention the old Mex 5 in Baja. No leaks, no plumbing problems, aside from a faulty faucet which was replaced under warranty. Only problem attributed to rough roads is that the hinges can crack if the door swings open on a rough road.

As has been said before, the trailer is built from a variety of components and there'll always be some failures. Own trailers long enough and you'll accept that's the way it is. The Dometic in the 19 was problematic but the one in the 21 is a dream come true. A month after leaving home, in a hot place and able to pull out a still frozen ice cream bar from the freezer, what's not to love.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Comparatively speaking, in my view, the major difference between a fiberglass hull and a stick built trailer body is that the former can come to fruition with a smaller number of human hand opportunities to screw up the integrity of the structure.

When I look at pictures of Escapes being built, my reaction is that the trailer got through the birth without serious injury. What is left is hanging on of parts and components.

When I look at pictures of stick builds being built, I wonder how many internal construction defects have been covered up by outer and inner skin only to be revealed some years down the road after many thousands of rolling earthquakes.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Donna D... Almost everyone on that list Thor owns!!! They now own Airxcel too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
eeew, which includes Coleman-Mach, and Maxxfan :-/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
If you have read the threads where electrical or plumbing issues are discussed, you probably saw some of my posts.

Here's the truth - Escape wiring and plumbing has a high probability of having some design / installation errors. The good part is they are easily remedied at low cost. Wiring may take more effort than the plumbing depending on picky you tend to be (hint, I'm really picky) but no where near a deal killer for owning an Escape.

Here's the other part. Even though Escape is very silent about it, they do read the customer feedback and are implementing fixes for the problems that we point out to them. Sometimes it takes awhile (S traps!) But they are trying. So problem areas of the trailer quickly have a solution even though you will probably have get them done yourself.

So if you like the Escape trailer layout, go ahead and buy one as anything you will need to change can be done fairly easily and not cost an arm and leg to do.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #32

Trailer: 2021 21C
The factory workers are paid by piece work not hourly so the faster they work the more money they make. So if something may require six screws four is good enough.
David Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #33
JSH

Trailer: Still shopping
One of the things I did not see (but it might have been mentioned) in thread is standards. There is an association for RV fabrication, the RV Industry Association: https://www.rvia.org/standards-regulations . Many of the same problems have plagued the boating industry for years. Build 'em cheap and fast = unskilled labor + inferior materials. The boating industry has ABYC and others. So lets find out which builders possess and adhere to the RVIA Value of Seal?
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I read an article yesterday "How to Pick The Best RV." THESE are the brands the article said to stay away from:
Thor Hurricane
Gulf Stream
Forest River
Coachmen
Fleetwood
Holiday Rambler
Keystone
Winnebago
Coleman
Jayco
Itasca
Airstream
Champion
Dutchmen
Newmar
Tiffin
Article is correct about the Coleman. We sold our Casita and waiting on our new 5.0. Rented a 2020 Coleman Lantern for Colorado trip and was never happier to get back and return it. It was almost new with only a few previous local trips. Two mobile repair incidents during this trip ($450 total). Plumbing falling apart, water pouring out the back and electrical hookup melt down blowing all the trailer related fuses in our new truck. Taping all the cabinets and refrig closed after finding refig contents on the floor and same with cabinet goods. Dinette table flying around inside the trailer. Had to collapse it and tie it down on top of the bed. Weird multicolor glass furance cover that fell off. We were on highways & full hookup campgrounds grounds the entire time, so light use. Never again!
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hendrickson View Post
The factory workers are paid by piece work not hourly so the faster they work the more money they make. So if something may require six screws four is good enough.
What is "The factory" to which you are referring?
Old 09-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #36

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
I see Winnebago made the list. Reminded me of an experience with a poor design issue last September.

We wanted our daughter and her kids to join us for several nights at a local lake. I found a Winnebago trailer for rent on "Outdoorsy" and pulled it out and got it set up.

Get this: the exterior door "hold open" latch was mounted to an adjacent slideout (!?). Guess who broke the latch while retracting the slide? Just a poor design for something as simple as a door hold-open.

I also don't get the recent infatuation with center island sinks. Its just a waste of floor space.

No good deed goes un-punished. Weather was horrible and the trailer owner was a total jerk to deal with.

Ok, finished with my little rant and I feel better
Old 09-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
I also don't get the recent infatuation with center island sinks. Its just a waste of floor space.
I'm going to look at a 5th wheel on Friday that has a center island sink. Looking at the floor plan, I like it. I prefer to look out a window when washing the dishes and this particular trailer with a center island provides that as it's directly across from the slide-out dinette. So, what else would you put in that floor space and where would you put the sink otherwise? There's hardly enough counter space in even huge 5th wheels as it is... IMHO.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #38

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Quote:
I prefer to look out a window when washing the dishes and this particular trailer with a center island provides that as it's directly across from the slide-out dinette.
I like looking outside as well but a window centered on a regular counter sink will achieve that.

With a center island, you get an extra aisleway. To me it seems like a waste in a smaller RV or trailer where every square foot is precious. If you are looking at a larger rig, go for it if it works for you. Are you outgrowing "Ten Forward"?

One issue with the floorplan design of the Winnebago we rented was that you could not walk around the island sink when the slides were retracted. Something to consider with regard to the rig you are checking out on Friday.

I just happened to notice the "center island" trend at an RV show a few years back. The major manufacturers seemed to have decided "me too" and jumped on board with floor plans that incorporate these.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm going to look at a 5th wheel on Friday ...
Uh-oh, Donna, are you going to the dark side?
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
Uh-oh, Donna, are you going to the dark side?
Just looking. Leaving the checkbook at home. It's not for traveling. I'd use it as a destination trailer and keep Ten Forward for traveling. But kinda like the layout!
Attached Thumbnails
KEYSTONE_ALPINE_3712KB.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote