I really enjoy shopping on line with Amazon.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
No prime for me. I can always get free Amazon shipping just by being careful how and when I purchase. I lived in rural Alaska a long time. We had to order or ship in everything. I can be patient for 3-4 days it takes for free shipping. I do shop local when I can, but often have to order to find what I want. Mostly I don’t want much.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:39 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
hmm. 55 orders in 2022 so far.

not only a prime member, but also kindle unlimited (which is unlimited pulp fiction for a flat rate). my wife uses the prime video sometimes to watch a older tv show.
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

How much stuff are you buying to get free shipping? Prime isn't free, but it isn't all that expensive either (IMHO). Especially considering today's fuel prices. It costs me about $.33 a day to be a Prime member. Still worth it to me (YMMV). IF it stays under $1 a day, I'll keep my subscription and I live in a MILLION citizen 'community.' Especially when you consider all the 'FREE' stuff a person gets by being a Prime member. Do you read (Kindle) or watch movies? I remember last fall I watched NFL games because they were streamed via Amazon Prime and I didn't have anything other than that to watch. I love football, I was happy. At home, I've got Comcast. On the road I use my iPhone as a hotspot and watch on my laptop. Unlimited data helps
You are so right about the benefits of prime.
All I have is streaming, football is like watching paint dry to me, a continuous loop. But that’s what’s great about all these choices, we all like different things. Britannia is a good one, a character from Yellowstone is on it, along with the governor from the walking dead. Also with prime they make it easy for you to purchase Yellowstone and 1893…
CPA, you already own an Escape, so that’s a big win, you’ve been doing something right. Start living like you’ve won the lottery and enjoy yourself.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think my main point is that, now more than ever, low will power folks are almost binge buying and in my case I watched a person loose their house because of it.

Personally, Prime and all the "benefits" listed, mean zero to me and I wouldn't pay a dime for them. And the main benfit touted, next day delivery etc. has proven to be a bit of joke. When our non Prime order says "Thursday" we say "OK, it should arrive on Tuesday. The swiftness of the non Prime delivery might mean a day or two difference in the day of delivery but I've never been that desperate for anything to be delivered.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:27 PM   #25

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jake is a French Brittany, slightly more short coupled that the American Brittany and a little heavier in the chest. Most are the orange and white but some some are liver and white . He’s nearly 7 now. Has crossed the border into Canada and back with us over 30 times. He’s got a personality for sure. He weighs 41 lbs and goes through brush like a bulldozer He can run pretty fast, throw on the brakes and change direction or stop very quickly.

My son had an American Brittany. Sherlock and Jake were best buddies and could cover a lot of ground in a short time. I had a German shorthair about 50 years ago. Terrific hunter, hardheaded but would point, retrieve with a soft mouth and go all day long. He was about 70 lbs. Kinda big for in the house where we lived at the time.

We live in the country next to farm ground. The farmer put 103 acres in a pheasant restoration program like CRP. In a week or two the roosters will be crowing every morning and through the day. We don’t run him over there though we could, until after August 15. By then the young birds are flying and running.
Rita will get up 30 pheasants in a 30 minute run some days. Other days only a couple. You never know.
Iowa Dave

Our 13 year old April Fools puppy, Misty, is a French Brittany - while her hunting days with my husband are over, she is now onto chasing balls and will make sure to let you know she wants to chase them...all....the...time! She's lost a lot of her orange in her face as she ages - that's really the only obvious sign she's an older pup!

Our 9 year old, Charlie, is an American Brittany - we rescued him from a situation here in Calgary. He is the total opposite of Misty - and, after finding his mother's page at the breeders in Saskatchewan, it is the ONLY time I have seen the phrase "laid back Brittany" ever used...and boy, is he laid back! He would rather sit at my feet in my office than even look at a ball - but have a crumb of food in your hand, he's jumping up and down like a bunny rabbit!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220402_211228443.jpg   PXL_20220224_024913343.jpg  
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:53 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I love dog stories with pictures......
Old 04-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
,,, Spent about $350 this am on items I did not know I needed last night until I saw them this morning....
... "needed"

Just noticed this posted today in another thread, referring to a gizmo (anode rod with drain petcock):
Quote:
I have had one sitting here on my desk for 6 years, never installed. ....
... thought 'needed' when purchased?

Quote:
......I need a 10 step program......
... maybe there are a few little indicators ... . .

(all mostly in jest, perhaps an illustration of 'impulse buying', admitting I'm guilty of it on occasion, too )
Old 04-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I guess that I'm lucky, with my Scottish heritage of being frugal, and my early days after graduation of having to choose between buying 2x4s or food when building my house. I very rarely see something and buy it. Even when my wife says, "buy it", my usual answer is "I'll think about it". Drives her nuts.

So I'm glad that Amazon requires a purchase order to total $35 for free delivery. It definitely takes the impulse purchase out of the situation when you have to wait a bit to place the order.

Each of the decades seems to have come up with designation. Nowadays it must be "the instant gratification years."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Mine says 107 since 1/1/2022 ......I need a 10 step program......
See if you can get a group discount.

I might need more darts!
Attached Images

UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My numbers are #276 in 2021 and #109 2022 YTD....Hopefully I can slow down my pace......
Old 04-04-2022, 03:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Mine says 107 since 1/1/2022 ......I need a 10 step program......
Have you received the email yet stating "You are eligible for an Amazon Commercial Account"? I have received this email more than once! I order a lot from Amazon, not just for our trailer, but also for grandkids birthdays and Christmas.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Have you received the email yet stating "You are eligible for an Amazon Commercial Account"? I have received this email more than once! I order a lot from Amazon, not just for our trailer, but also for grandkids birthdays and Christmas.
Lol, I've deleted a handful of those in the last few months, maybe my 'un-subscribe' to that messaging (SPAM) has finally taken effect (I hope).

Me .... I've never been a Prime subscriber, looking at my history I placed 15 orders in 2021, 4 to date in 2022. A third of those were items my elder mom requested for drop-shipment to her.

I'm feeling the need to rein in my Amazon spending...
Old 04-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Lol, I've deleted a handful of those in the last few months, maybe my 'un-subscribe' to that messaging (SPAM) has finally taken effect (I hope).

Me .... I've never been a Prime subscriber, looking at my history I placed 15 orders in 2021, 4 to date in 2022. A third of those were items my elder mom requested for drop-shipment to her.

I'm feeling the need to rein in my Amazon spending...
You certainly have more restraint than most of us, Alan!
Old 04-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Lesson learned

My mother in law remarried some years ago to a gent with some money. She had been a frugal widow. She went on a binge, and preached “shop ‘til you drop”, and she did just that.
My wife spent incalculable time and effort disposing of all the “stuff” when she passed'. Massive, and scary amount of stuff.
That said, I buy some at Amazon, and have too, too much stuff. We downsized last summer with a move, but more work is needed there. In my defense, a lot of my stuff are tools which I use.
I’d like to leave this life with just a 1/2 cup of coffee and an opened bag of Depends left to deal with.

To each his own,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #35

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
This might be a bit left field but I thought that it might be interesting to look at it at a slightly greater distance than the count of Amazon orders in year. There seem to be two different dimensions to this thread -
  • Unfettered consumerism leading us to overbuy junk
  • Buying from Amazon versus other outlet - potentially hurting local businesses
Regarding the first, a very worthwhile read is - Stop Shopping - America needs you to buy less junk - https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...delays/620465/

Regarding the second, there is definitely an argument that Amazon, and particularly Amazon Prime, is causing some of the overexuberant consumerism. But I wonder how that competes with other accelerants such as easy consumer credit. Do we think credit cards cause us to buy more, and whether that makes them bad. In any case, such innovations are global and are not limited to Amazon. For instance, in China, there is WeChat that innovatively combines social media and shopping in an ecosystem.

So, the choices and control, if needed, must come from inside.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:13 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As you have noted, self control, a stand back perspective of the structure of how you perceive a stable and continuing business climate and tying into the availability of discretionary spending are all factors in making purchasing choices. Personally I go out of my way to patronize small businesses, non chain stores, and places where I can deal with human beings who are well versed in the use and makeup of the products they sell.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Well, we live debt free. We are both retired and I regive most of my time to an unknown university of high distinction. So rewarding.

Our house is appreciating faster than we can calculate and since Covid has shut down socializing for the most part, I devoted myself to work, tending to my interests like guitar, and music and activities my wife and I can do together and make the most of the situation. We have fun!

I get criticized for buying $400 worth of European darts as they call me excessive, but everyone throws fine darts, gets better as they throw and rave about the time they had. Seems like a great investment to me. It costs a couple hours of time.

Our kids all have advanced degrees, we paid for their fancy cars and ours. We have more than I had for most of my life. And I love it. And we give generously to charities we know that give back.

I think it's okay. A little ostentatious, but otherwise okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Darts.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Reluctance to change is very common, but after what most of us have lived thru you’d think we'd understand it better than the younger people. Remote on a television, please, forget about color, air conditioner, now here I am with a computer phone and electric car. Everything can be abused and misused, if we were to be real unless you’re living full time in your escape you’ve already way crossed the line of frugality.
Many of us have a story of rags to riches, spend your money and enjoy the time left…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My Mom said I could squeeze a nickle so hard the buffalo bellowed. How's that for dating myself

Given enough time, I can usually talk myself out of just about any large purchase. Until a year ago, the largest television I had in my home was a 27 inch. But I had five of them! Now I'm down to one 40 inch.

Like a lot of people, I worked hard for my money. AT my age, I've decided to relax a bit and maybe splurge occasionally. I earned it and I deserve it. But I'm still not going to be foolish about it. I'm six years happily retired and I never, ever want to go back to work.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Though I have no intention of working for wages again, I am fascinated by all of the help wanted ads. Especially professional positions that I could easily do even at my age. I say to myself. “ Man they are paying some serous jack, for something that ain’t that hard.” We’re thankful for our lives in all facets and have no regrets.
Iowa Dave