It can happen to you.... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2019, 03:04 AM   #61

Trailer: Coachmen Prism
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Camper u-turn. This is why newbys should first practice in an open area. Note the video is nearly 5 1/2 minutes, and it's sped up.
That was a torture to watch...
Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Ok, so I'm surprised that the 5th wheelers have not chimed in. I've done a few 2 lane u-turns with a "5th wheel like" setup that I have. Just needed a couple of feet of shoulder on either side. It's pretty easy.
Okay, I will. I've gotten pretty dang good at it. IF you've ever watched a big rig turn around, it's not any different, really.

This is for turning around with marginal shoulders.

Do NOT attempt this at the bottom of a hill. To me, that's more important than the width of the road. You don't want someone cresting the hill and unable to stop because you've blocked the road.

It's also hard on the tires, the trailer tires and the tug tires... you're scrubbing them. I think I've 'removed' 5,000 miles of rubber because I've done this at least 5 times. Maybe I shouldn't get lost so often!

Set the rigs up in the middle of the road. Increase the boost on the brake controller. Grab and hold the 'emergency' button/pinch and lock up the trailer brakes. Turn the steering wheel on the truck as far as it will go (I turn to the right), press the accelerator peddle and allow the truck to 'spin.' WATCH that you don't hit the nose of the trailer on the back of the cab. When you get to about 1/2 way to 'close to 90 degrees' let off the accelerator peddle. Foot on truck brake, release the trailer brakes and back up as far as you can. Turn the wheel on the truck the opposite direction and pull forward. Confused yet?

As I've said, I've done this at least five times. Probably half of those, I needed to repeat the steps more than once. So, it is possible even on a narrow two lane road... with patience!

Perhaps you'd like to learn in a parking lot first... training! So you'll know precisely how it works, minimum amount of space you need for your particular setup. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #63

Trailer: none
My trailer backing skills leave much to be desired, although larger trailers seem to be easier than, say a small landscape trailer. How are the 5th wheels backing up? Are they generally easier than a bumper pull?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #64

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, I will. I've gotten pretty dang good at it. IF you've ever watched a big rig turn around, it's not any different, really.

Do NOT attempt this at the bottom of a hill. To me, that's more important than the width of the road. You don't want someone cresting the hill and unable to stop because you've blocked the road.

It's also hard on the tires, the trailer tires and the tug tires... you're scrubbing them. I think I've 'removed' 5,000 miles of rubber because I've done this at least 5 times. Maybe I shouldn't get lost so often!

Set the rigs up in the middle of the road. Increase the boost on the brake controller. Grab and hold the 'emergency' button/pinch and lock up the trailer brakes. Turn the steering wheel on the truck as far as it will go (I turn to the right), press the accelerator peddle and allow the truck to 'spin.' WATCH that you don't hit the nose of the trailer on the back of the cab. When you get to about 1/2 way to 'close to 90 degrees' let off the accelerator peddle. Foot on truck brake, release the trailer brakes and back up as far as you can. Turn the wheel on the truck the opposite direction and pull forward. Confused yet?

As I've said, I've done this at least five times. Probably half of those, I needed to repeat the steps more than once. So, it is possible even on a narrow two lane road... with patience!

Perhaps you'd like to learn in a parking lot first... training! So you'll know precisely how it works, minimum amount of space you need for your particular setup. Good luck!
Thanks Donna, this is very good, could you provide a video of this? I'd love to see you in action.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Thanks Donna, this is very good, could you provide a video of this? I'd love to see you in action.
You know what Ron, I hope I never need to do it again. Even though I have done it successfully, it still comes with sweaty palms and some anxiety. Like what IF I get truly stuck where I can't back up or pull forward.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #66

Quote:
You know what Ron, I hope I never need to do it again. Even though I have done it successfully, it still comes with sweaty palms and some anxiety. Like what IF I get truly stuck where I can't back up or pull forward.
From what I gather about you, I am sure you would figure out something. I always like to read your posts in this thread.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
From what I gather about you, I am sure you would figure out something. I always like to read your posts in this thread.
You're so very kind, truly
Old 01-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
If see had video she'd probably have to mute the audio part.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
Bridge near me. 10 ton limit. Signs everywhere. 35 ton tour bus.
They closed the bridge for an inspection after this video was sent to the Arkansas DOT.

Back in the mid 70's, there was a similar bridge over the Osage River at Warsaw, MO. that had been there for years and years. It was single lane with traffic lights at each end. It was always fun (?) to drive over it and watch it roll as you drove over. It was finally replaced with a two lane bridge after Truman Lake was completed.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If see had video she'd probably have to mute the audio part.

Ron
Very good Ron. We are adults here, BUT maybe a warning would suffice "WARNING some viewers may be offended with the language - if so either do not view or be sure the mute button is pushed". But I for one, would not want to miss a single word of it.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:13 PM   #71
Site Team

hahahaha, don't worry, won't happen. BUT, I don't swear... mutter under my breath occasionally. 99% of all things stay between my ears. My most favorite words are Flippin' and THIT. Even when I've smashed my thumb it's DANG IT or grit my teeth and snarl. I'm a Mom and Grandma...
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #72

Trailer: ?
If you’re looking to test your emergency u-turn skills here is a good place. A cliff on one side of the road and a rock wall on the other.

Snake River Road out of Huntington, OR. The road follows the course of the Snake River. Sometimes two lane, sometimes 1 1/2 lanes but always picturesque and exciting. What’s around the next bend? A ‘severe slide’ waiting on you?

Here is the sign posted about a mile before you reach the road.

The road leads to some great disbursed camping right on the Snake River which divides parts of Oregon and Idaho.

Enjoy

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
03050968-0467-479B-8048-20BF18402912.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I guess when you can not turn it around, you have arrived at your destination. Maybe this is how trailer parks got started..........
Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #74

Quote:
hahahaha, don't worry, won't happen. BUT, I don't swear... mutter under my breath occasionally. 99% of all things stay between my ears. My most favorite words are Flippin' and THIT. Even when I've smashed my thumb it's DANG IT or grit my teeth and snarl. I'm a Mom and Grandma...
THIT, I got that FLIPPIN wrong!!! DANG IT. I should have not thought any less from you.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #75

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:

Hey Donna I think I can save you about 800 miles on the trailer tires and 1000 miles on the tug tires if there is a next time... It requires a couple of changes to your procedures.

Start with the backing up first, and you will not need the brakes on any of it. Here is what I do:
- pull off slightly to the right and then situate the tug so you can see if there is anyone hanging on your bumper (or those coming up behind you doing 60 in a 30)
- turn the wheel all the way to the right and then back up slowly
- watch that you don't contact the trailer with the cab of the tug while backing up. Don't worry about the trailer... it will be moving slightly toward the middle of the road
- don't back the tug into the ditch if it is more than a foot deep (hence you'll need a couple of feet of shoulder space)

- when the tug is pointed more or less toward the center of the road (and you have not contacted the trailer) then put it in drive and pull into the opposite lane

You will be magically facing the opposite direction if all goes well!

Your tires will thank you (trailer tires will skid but probably not as much as you do now... )

I hope you don't actually need to figure out how to build this into your process but if you do, you won't have as many white knuckles while doing it. Good luck!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #76
Site Team

Thanks Ted. I'll try to remember your advice/instructions. But don't be hurt if I say, I hope I never need it (again)