Just Placed An Offer for Land - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good luck Robert,
I have fond memories of my house build back in the 80's on 2.5 acres in Hunt Valley, Md. It was farm land converted and had a well and septic, something new to a city boy, heat pump (cold heat) but fireplaces for auxiliary heat. Suburbia, every person's dream..enjoy
Old 06-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Property

Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Two weeks ago we put an offer on a house in North Austin and it was accepted. The real estate market is crazy here and has been for years but seems to keep trending upward. The house we bought had 10 offers in 2 days. We're buying while it's still affordable for us. Closing in two weeks and we're pumped! Bonus is that it's a nice corner lot where we can park the RV.
Wow, that's nice Sean. Being able to have the trailer on the property is a huge plus. The Austin real estate market is crazy right now, way more than San Antonio. Congrats on your upcoming move!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Garage size

Robert,
My friendly recommendation would be to stretch that garage to 14 x24.
That would allow for a 10 foot wide door with about 18 inches on each side of the door and enough room to get around the trailer when parked inside. Rarely is a garage too big!
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Congrats, Robert.
A couple of cents worth of thoughts:
I'd install a 100 Amp/240V subpanel in the outbuilding. The difference in cost vs. a smaller one is just conductor, conduit, and main breaker size; the labor is the same; the sub-panel buss size is usually 100-125 Amps already.
With that, you'll never have an "I shoulda' done it" moment, and you can have enough power for friends who visit.

Plumbing drain/sewer at the outbuilding (and maybe a bath/shower) is a possible. Check out whether the septic tank system (that I presume you'll have) will accept the treatment chemicals commonly used in RV black tanks.

Rural peace and quiet: Friends of ours recently moved from Austin to a rural area NW of there, and their inherent stress level has reduced tremendously; SO, Enjoy!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Good luck with your upcoming move. Texas Hill country is a great place to have a home. I'm a little jealous.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
All good points of view. We currently live in a 2500 sf house, so the new place won't be any bigger. But, getting out of San Antonio traffic and having the quiet and privacy is the main reason for the move. Another big factor is that we currently store our RV in the only covered RV storage area we could find in San Antonio - and it's almost an hour away if the traffic is bad. Because of the nature of my work schedule, having the trailer on our property so we can just hitch up and go is huge for us.

Robert,
I think this makes you the first person on this forum to buy a new piece of property just to park their Escape. Wonder if this will start a trend. Congrats and good luck.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Robert,
I think this makes you the first person on this forum to buy a new piece of property just to park their Escape. Wonder if this will start a trend. Congrats and good luck.
Not the only reason, just a huge plus. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I'd install a 100 Amp/240V subpanel in the outbuilding. The difference in cost vs. a smaller one is just conductor, conduit, and main breaker size; the labor is the same; the sub-panel buss size is usually 100-125 Amps already.
That's the plan Don. 100 Amp panel for the detached building. If I ever want to insulate it and throw up some sheet rock, one of those Mitsubishi AC units would cool it just fine.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Sounds like the fulfillment of a lifetime dream coming true, Robert; have you been thanking your lucky stars adequately? Since we'll be relocating to the Tucson area soon, we'll be looking for a lay-over place with hookups and a dump station as we follow you to the Blue Bonnett Rally in the future. So, you've got our vote! Go for it. This ain't no preview ya know.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds fantastic, Robert. I am so looking forward to a serviced lot in Texas to stay at. I have now had offers in quite a few other states an provinces from good folk with places to park our trailer while we explore the area. I hope to oblige in the house we bought a year ago as our next house. This house is 1330 sf with a full basement and rear paved alley perfect for parking our trailer, and building a nice shop.

2,500 sf sounds huge. We have 2,600 sf, and with 5 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths find it WAY too much house now that it is just the two of us. While typing this, I realize that you guys likely do not have basements, which adds another 2,000 sf of living space.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Sounds like the fulfillment of a lifetime dream coming true, Robert; have you been thanking your lucky stars adequately? Since we'll be relocating to the Tucson area soon, we'll be looking for a lay-over place with hookups and a dump station as we follow you to the Blue Bonnett Rally in the future. So, you've got our vote! Go for it. This ain't no preview ya know.
Yes, a culmination of years of very hard work Rich. My Dad used to say that luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sounds fantastic, Robert. I am so looking forward to a serviced lot in Texas to stay at.
If I build it, he will come.... [emoji6]

Quote:
2,500 sf sounds huge. We have 2,600 sf, and with 5 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths find it WAY too much house now that it is just the two of us. While typing this, I realize that you guys likely do not have basements, which adds another 2,000 sf of living space.
That's true, no basement. There are a few places in Texas with basements, but not in the Hill Country unless you want to blast out over 10 feet of solid limestone to do it.

Most foundations here consist of a grid made up of stacks of sandbags which are set up in squares, with 6 to 12 inches between the stacks, with an outer form and rebar running through the gaps between stacks. Then the whole thing is filled with concrete. You wind up with what I guess would resemble a concrete waffle if turned upside down. The slab over the sandbags is only about 6 inches thick or so, but between the stacks it goes down 3 or 4 feet.

They call these "slab-on-grade" foundations and they've been around since the 40s or 50s. Prior to that, it was pretty much all pier and beam.

Texas has it's share of foundation problems because of this technique, because the slab tends to settle. Because of the unique make up of the ground in the Hill Country, I'm having them excavate to bedrock, (which luckily in that area is less than a foot down) and anchoring the grid to the bedrock. It will never settle.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Congrats,
As Mark Twain said "Buy land, they're not making it anymore"
Enjoy
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Congratulations

Sounds like a great setup. I love San Antonio, was at a conference there and stayed at the Emily Post? Across from the Alamo? Loved the walk along the river once you got past the tourist area.Good luck with the construction process. I hope you have a good contractor. I just finished building a place on a lake in BC it is a walkout with 1188 ft sq each floor, lower floor is two bedrooms for guests and I will be living in the 1188 sq ft main floor. Don't have the acreage you do so not sure I will be able to store the trailer there but will figure it out.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #36
Site Team

Maybe not the acreage, but on a lake in BC! Nice setup Hugh.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #37
Site Team

Not really a shot of the property, but the view. The property line ends at the dirt road in the foreground.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Sounds fantastic, Robert. I am so looking forward to a serviced lot in Texas to stay at. I have now had offers in quite a few other states an provinces from good folk with places to park our trailer while we explore the area.
But Jim, as far as I know, in spite of all the offers, only a single offer is for the exclusive and increasingly famous Campsite Number 1.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Congratulation, Robert. I think an edit to your signature may be in order. That is, "you can buy an RV and a place in the country,......."
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #40
Site Team

I like it Carl.