KV moves Campion Boats out of Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2022, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
KV moves Campion Boats out of Canada

KV Private Equity closes Campion Boat manufacturing in Kelowna and puts hundreds out of work to build cheaper in the US.

Look out Escape and Northern Lite…

“ The remnants of one of Kelowna’s biggest international success stories were quietly sold off as the manufacturer moves to warmer and more affordable climes.
Campion Boats was sold in late 2018 to KV Private Equity of Edmonton, Alta.
This week, what’s left of the once local operation was auctioned off so it could move forward and set up shop in Texas and, in part, Mexico.”

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 17B
Well, we know that song and dance don't we... The heart of this valley is slowly dying.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
moves to warmer and more affordable climes.

……so it could move forward and set up shop in Texas and, in part, Mexico.”
In a decade the press release will read “cooler and more liveable climates” (When they do the next disruption)

I wonder if they had a high number of over compensated employees or some valuable land they wanted to do something else with. Private equity firms can be ruthless to companies.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I can see this eventually happening with Escape also. Over the last couple years they have eliminated all non standard options and are slowly making the trailers more standardized. Makes sense to have all the fiberglass bodies made in Mexico and final build done in a less expensive southern state.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
KV Private Equity closes Campion Boat manufacturing in Kelowna and puts hundreds out of work to build cheaper in the US.

“ The remnants of one of Kelowna’s biggest international success stories were quietly sold off as the manufacturer moves to warmer and more affordable climes.
This week, what’s left of the once local operation was auctioned off so it could move forward and set up shop in Texas and, in part, Mexico.”
If it's a cheap business enviornment here, I sure haven't noticed it. Try farming!
Old 08-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m not a fan of moving production of a good product out of its native location to save costs. My home town lost numerous production facilities over the last 40 years many with union jobs and significant benefit packages that were not replaced by incoming employers. I realize that music had been played all over the United States and Canada due to pressure from stockholders and general corporate operating attitudes. I do not believe it’s all about money but I’ve come to realize I’m in the minority. I’m sure a fiberglass boat dealer will do fine without my money but I hate to see it for the good people in Kelowna.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m not a fan of moving production of a good product out of its native location to save costs. My home town lost numerous production facilities over the last 40 years many with union jobs and significant benefit packages that were not replaced by incoming employers. I realize that music had been played all over the United States and Canada due to pressure from stockholders and general corporate operating attitudes. I do not believe it’s all about money but I’ve come to realize I’m in the minority. I’m sure a fiberglass boat dealer will do fine without my money but I hate to see it for the good people in Kelowna.
Iowa Dave
At this point BigFoot is owned by one person
They are expensive, but Escape has been increasing prices.
I expect Grant will stay where he is.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not really surprising, that's the way the boating world has gone. A lot of well known brands have been bought up and disappeared.

Canada's longest term manufacturer of f.g. boats, Hourston Glascraft, started right here in the 1950s. The sign on the building is still there but they aren't. I heard that the molds went to China.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe someone could come up with a plan where Escape owners could purchase stock in Escape Trailers, as they grow, so does your share values. More say at shareholder meetings and so on. I'd be interested in purchasing some shares.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: Eggscape... Dixie!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe someone could come up with a plan where Escape owners could purchase stock in Escape Trailers, as they grow, so does your share values. More say at shareholder meetings and so on. I'd be interested in purchasing some shares.
I wouldn't be interested in shares of Escape. The RV industry is too cyclical. I bet Escape does a big expansion and we have a bad recession at some point and the new Escape gets crushed. It has happened to so many RV companies.

I don't believe Escape can continue it's current growth and will eventually taper off. Other fiberglass companies have been born. There is more competition than 5 years ago. A local fibreglass fabricator bought the Trillium molds and is now pumping out Trilliums under the name L'Air.

My second trailer was a 2004 Fleetwood Redwood Highwall tent trailer. It was way higher quality than all of it's competitors and in 2008, it got crushed. Fleetwood closed the division.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I wouldn't be interested in shares of Escape. The RV industry is too cyclical. I bet Escape does a big expansion and we have a bad recession at some point and the new Escape gets crushed. It has happened to so many RV companies.

I don't believe Escape can continue it's current growth and will eventually taper off. Other fiberglass companies have been born. There is more competition than 5 years ago. A local fibreglass fabricator bought the Trillium molds and is now pumping out Trilliums under the name L'Air.

My second trailer was a 2004 Fleetwood Redwood Highwall tent trailer. It was way higher quality than all of it's competitors and in 2008, it got crushed. Fleetwood closed the division.
I looked at the date just to make sure this wasn't a post from several years ago when ETI was doing a large expansion and coming out with new models. These kinds of conversations were happening then also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote