Longest Lunar Eclipse - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Longest Lunar Eclipse

Nov. 18-19

Lunar Eclipse tonight. It's the longest partial in centuries.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...21-november-19
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
IMHO as an amateur astronomer, lunar eclipses are kind of boring events, by their very nature they occur during full moons, which wash out the rest of the night sky, and present a moon that is lit straight on, so there's nothing interesting in a telescope, its all flat...

the full moon takes hours to gradually get dimmer, then gradually get reddish, then slowly return to normal. this starts at about 10pm PST tonight, peaks about 1am, and ending about 4AM tomorrow morning. here (122W, 37N), the moon sets about 7am tomorrow morning. adjust for your time zone (and rise/set times are specific to your lat/long)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Lots of commotion in the media about a "blood moon". Looked more like a "poop moon" to me.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
IMHO as an amateur astronomer, lunar eclipses are kind of boring events, by their very nature they occur during full moons, which wash out the rest of the night sky, and present a moon that is lit straight on, so there's nothing interesting in a telescope, its all flat...

the full moon takes hours to gradually get dimmer, then gradually get reddish, then slowly return to normal. this starts at about 10pm PST tonight, peaks about 1am, and ending about 4AM tomorrow morning. here (122W, 37N), the moon sets about 7am tomorrow morning. adjust for your time zone (and rise/set times are specific to your lat/long)

It's still fun to admire the whole process. When you think about, spatially, what is really happening, it is awesome. (Or in CA coastal-eze: "totally awesome, man!).
Here at 119W, 34N, we'll watch the onset, then return outside near the peak, and watch 'til we're cold and damp, and chicken out. We have fog in the forecast, so maybe we won't watch at all. (And I see that you have 30% chance of precip. tonite!).
Old 11-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Not sure we will have a clear sky but am planning on getting up and checking it out. I like lunar eclipses. One time as a kid a lunar eclipse was scheduled in the middle of the summer. My brothers and I really wanted to be out in the country to get the full effect away from the urban light pollution. But we knew our dad wasn’t going to make a special trip out of town to look at
the moon. So we didn’t ask. The eclipse was going to happen about 9 or ten PM shortly after full sunset. That night about 8:30 or so my Dad announced that we needed to go out to see a truck farmer who had stopped into the filling station and let dad know he had a bunch of cabbages that were seconds that we could have for making sauerkraut. From his experience in Germany in WWII he barked some commands in German which directed us to the seats in the 1941 Plymouth. Out in the country (edge of town ) we went. Cabbages loaded, he announced he’d be back shortly and sauntered off behind the barn. An extended conversation with the truck farmer ensued. Alcohol fueled no doubt. And there was the moon, eclipsing along, we three with a perfect view from the bumper of the Plymouth. After about an hour and the eclipse cooking along, our Dad returned. “Had enough of the moon?” He asked. And we went home. Satisfied.
How did he know? My mom was no doubt a silent part of the equation. I’ll never forget that. And when there’s a lunar eclipse I think of that night.

Let’s argue some time about who had the best childhood ever. Over some beer.
Lunar lunacy musings by:
Iowa Dave
Old 11-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

yeah, its totally overcast here today, with no clearing in the forecast.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Not sure we will have a clear sky but am planning on getting up and checking it out. I like lunar eclipses. ....
Iowa Dave

Looks like you have a perfect night: clear, and rather cool.
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...2&lon=-92.0657

Another childhood-like adventure; this time with a beverage of choice!

Edit: And, a little slower than watching trains, but still fun!
Old 11-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #8

The wind here has been pretty fierce. In SE Iowa the BNSF tracks run right along the riverbank. Last weekend there were empty barges tied up along the bank. They were empty and riding high. The wind blew them up the bank far enough that a BNSF locomotive sideswiped them and tipped over. And so did some coal cars he was pulling. diesel fuel and coal in the river. DNR having a cardiac event. The cleanup guys making a little better Christmas for themselves.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
After ~70 years and countless occurrences I still enjoy the lunar eclipse experience. I can never avoid speculating about how ancient cultures must have interpreted the mysterious phenomenon.

If nothing else it's another excuse to spend some relaxing time in a lawn-chair observing the universe doing it's thing in relatively dramatic fashion.

But, I'll happily admit, I'm easily amused
Old 11-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Now, in April 2024, there will be a TOTAL eclipse of the SUN. *THAT* is a spectacular event.

this one is in theory visible on a narrow line from Mazatlan, MX to Maine, but in Texas there's a 50% chance of clouds on that date in April, and in Maine is approaches 80%. In Mazatlan, there's a chance of coastal fog, but a few miles inland, like near Durango, its less than 10% chance of clouds. In the Mazatlan/Durango area, there's a full 4 minutes of totality on the centerline (the last total eclipse in 2017, it was only 2 minutes in Oregon)

We've reserved a spot on an RV Caravan thats doing an all-mexico tour, where we will enter MX in January, drop down the east side, visit Mexico City, Yucatan, then cross over towards the west coast, staying a couple days every few 100 miles, ending up in Mazatlan, then move to a ranch on the centerline near Durango the night before the eclipse, before moving back to Mazatlan. This is a 3 month long tour. Oh and we'll visit Copper Canyon on our way back to California after the eclipse.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Now, in April 2024, there will be a TOTAL eclipse of the SUN. *THAT* is a spectacular event.

this one is in theory visible on a narrow line from Mazatlan, MX to Maine, but in Texas there's a 50% chance of clouds on that date in April, and in Maine is approaches 80%. In Mazatlan, there's a chance of coastal fog, but a few miles inland, like near Durango, its less than 10% chance of clouds. In the Mazatlan/Durango area, there's a full 4 minutes of totality on the centerline (the last total eclipse in 2017, it was only 2 minutes in Oregon)

We've reserved a spot on an RV Caravan thats doing an all-mexico tour, where we will enter MX in January, drop down the east side, visit Mexico City, Yucatan, then cross over towards the west coast, staying a couple days every few 100 miles, ending up in Mazatlan, then move to a ranch on the centerline near Durango the night before the eclipse, before moving back to Mazatlan. This is a 3 month long tour. Oh and we'll visit Copper Canyon on our way back to California after the eclipse.

That sounds like an exciting trip. Bucket-list all the way!!! (And just exactly what the Escape is made for.) I presume we'll get forum reports from you as you are able? Hope so.
I have friends that have riden through Copper Canyon; I seen photos. Now, that's on the golden bucket list (maybe 22 carat, 'cause its got Cu).
Old 11-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 E19
While we're talking about eclipses, don't forget that there's an annular (but not every year) solar eclipse in October 2023. The centerline of the eclipse passes through the Valley of the Gods, in Utah, and a number of great observing spots in the western US. Wherever you decide to observe the 2023 or 2024 eclipses, plan ahead, arrive early, and be prepared for being able to enjoy the phenom while surrounded by thousands of your new 'best friends'. We survived the last annular eclipse, and the last total solar eclipse, but only barely. Hint: Beer or whiskey are consumable during solar eclipses, regardless of the time of day.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
While we're talking about eclipses, don't forget that there's an annular (but not every year) solar eclipse in October 2023. The centerline of the eclipse passes through the Valley of the Gods, in Utah, and a number of great observing spots in the western US. Wherever you decide to observe the 2023 or 2024 eclipses, plan ahead, arrive early, and be prepared for being able to enjoy the phenom while surrounded by thousands of your new 'best friends'. We survived the last annular eclipse, and the last total solar eclipse, but only barely. Hint: Beer or whiskey are consumable during solar eclipses, regardless of the time of day.
Hi: wackyburggeezer... I've never been mooned but I have had whiskey!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #14

Hi Alf
I’ve never been an intentional mooner but I have been a moonee. And I think you know my long term relationship with spirits.
And I ain’t talkin Halloween here.
Hope you and Mary Anne are doing well.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
Hoping to remember some Iron City brew for you, made with that tasty Monangahela River water.......
Old 11-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
made with that tasty Monangahela River water.......
With a dash of Flint?
Old 11-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #17

I'm now watching the noon rise over the mountains on the Tehachapi Live train Cam. With any luck the moderators will track the moon's exciting progress. (Edit: hope the clouds don't interfere!)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We are in Big Bend National Park, a primitive backcountry site with no neighbor for miles. Great spot to view the eclipse last night, clear skies, spectacular.
Attached Thumbnails
20211118_164159.jpg  
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We are in Big Bend National Park, a primitive backcountry site with no neighbor for miles. Great spot to view the eclipse last night, clear skies, spectacular.
But you (and I) sure had a lot of wind the night before last! I left Rio Grande Village Campground this morning.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Wished we had known you were here, Jon - sorry we missed you, we are heading back to Austin in the morning.

Sitting at The Pinnacles at this moment overlooking Chisos Basin...I can almost smell your blueberry pie...