Missing Person in Baja - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Unfortunately the type of vehicle involved made him a target. There are two main North South routes up to the US border. They have a few checkpoints along the way but everyone knows where they are. There's many rough backroads and it's possible to bypass the checkpoints. The type of vehicle involved is ideal for carrying a load of drugs that either came across to Baja on the ferry or through Cabo. I hope this isn't what happened but it wouldn't be the first time.
This is our current working theory...there has been no contact and no bank/card activity whatsoever, leading us to think it's not a kidnapping for money, and more likely an auto theft. They found evidence of his last campsite and his dog, but no RV and no Dean.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:31 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Interesting. Is it the 4WD that makes it ideal? (The Tiger is 4WD IIRC.) Or the short overall length?
I'd say two important factors are the 4WD and the cargo carrying capacity.

Baja is laced with old, sometimes little more than ruts and tracks, that led to old missions and ranches. I've done some of them in my 4x2 F150 but many do require a 4WD.

Some instances of stolen vehicles seemed to be aimed at types of vehicles good for off road use.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:02 PM   #23

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
....I’ve liked Canadian Whisky even before I ever met a Canadian. Maple trees, maple syrup, walleyes out of cold water, bears, Canadian Rockies, Nelson Eddy as a Mountie, what’s not to like?
Dave ...can I be you friend? Bill
Old 02-16-2023, 09:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sure we can be friends. I’ve had some good friends for many years from Wisconsin. One of the great things I learned about the fiberglass community is that I thought that after I retired I’d just lose local friends to old age and not make any new ones. It’s true that I have watched a few very good people pass and even a couple new Escape friends too, but one of the greatest benefits of camping and traveling for me has been all the people I’ve met and camped with. And yes, folks I refer to as friends.
Come to the Mississippi River rally in late September. We will open a Canadian bottle and I’ll tell my Canadian beer joke. I can’t tell it on here.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:33 PM   #25

Now it's making some big news outlets...hopefully this will help!
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...o-17793882.php
Old 02-25-2023, 03:08 PM   #26

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I think his point was more that things are changing for the worse, everywhere.
I happen to be near one of the most dangerous places on the planet. In my time it’s always been a tough place but now the levels of violence and crimes are way amped up.

There are many safe areas close to STL, but if you’re not aware of the dangerous areas things can get ugly. You’d be amazed how fast things can change in just a few blocks.
Yeah I used to travel to Hazelwood and Florrisant and talk about some scary places.......used to have to high tail it outtta there and over to to a safe place across the bridge in East St Louis....lol
Old 02-25-2023, 03:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Too much random lead in the air, big cities to small towns. And it’s just not guns, it’s knives, clubs, ice picks, you name it. I don’t go out much at night now unless it’s in campgrounds or fishing in remote areas. Seems strange that locations that were scary when I was a kid are now about the safest places I go. I wouldn’t go downtown in my home town on a public bus at night to write a book report at the library any more.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 None
Any more news?
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #29

Yeah, we found the rig, abandoned and burned, but no sign of Dean and no body...that was a couple weeks ago, and no news or info since then. My guess is, we will never find anything further...
Old 03-16-2023, 12:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 None
Sorry to hear this. My thoughts go to you and all his family and friends.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #31

Yes, very sad and very similar to a previous situation.

Ron
Old 03-16-2023, 04:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 5.0
In 2014, Florissant ranked as the #1 Best Small City to Retire To in America and the second-safest city in Missouri. The heart of Old Town Florissant is listed on the National Register of Historic Places…Settled by the French, St. Ferdinand Church is still standing.

This is on Wikipedia, it’s the town right next to mine, Ferguson sits next to it and my town Hazelwood. We survived the Ferguson riots, but the antifa riots seemed to trigger the end.

Things have been slowly turning bad for years, but there was still hope. Then when it reached a certain point things jumped to really bad, at a way surprising pace. Now people living in Florissant actually go banging in the city of STL and surrounding areas.

Probably going the same way for Baja, you just have to learn to accept it will never go back to good.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:14 PM   #33

Quote:

Probably going the same way for Baja, you just have to learn to accept it will never go back to good.
Baja was never all good. Some areas have been known for years to be a bit dicey.

The generally accepted wisdom is not to go off into remote areas by yourself or stay on an isolated beach by yourself.

I think that the route we take and places that we stay have always been pretty safe and continue to be so. The biggest danger has always been the chance of an unwarranted police stop and a request to pay the "fine" on the spot. But this has never happened to us.

I'm hoping to return to Baja early next year.

Ron
Old 03-16-2023, 07:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Baja was never all good. Some areas have been known for years to be a bit dicey.

The generally accepted wisdom is not to go off into remote areas by yourself or stay on an isolated beach by yourself.

I think that the route we take and places that we stay have always been pretty safe and continue to be so. The biggest danger has always been the chance of an unwarranted police stop and a request to pay the "fine" on the spot. But this has never happened to us.

I'm hoping to return to Baja early next year.

Ron
I’m sure Dean would’ve been agreeing with you, might’ve even been ready to tell me how uninformed I was.
Here in the Wild Wild West much has been changing, same in Mexico-things change.

My Mother’s family name is on one of the stained windows in that old church, the name is again stamped on the first pew, many would say I’ve stuck around here too long. Eventually I will jump ship, a head in the sand never ends well, have to accept things.
Do as you want, ultimately the cost of your decision is on you. I’m just giving my view of putting yourself in dangerous situations. Some may be on the fence and ignoring the obvious signs, maybe I can help them to stay safe.

Years ago Florida had to make sure rental cars weren’t labeled rentals anywhere on the car. It was a tell there was a high chance of a tourist who is more than likely unarmed in it.
Crossing the border marks you as easy, the days of the fist are long gone.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:43 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
In the 70/80's we lived in Encinitas and would go from time to time to Ensenada & Rosarito Beach. It was ok then; can't imagine now.

Hadn't been back since 1985 and have expressed reservations more than once here about going. Call me Mexico phobic.

However, in a first trip to Mexico since 1985 we flew to Cabo San Lucas in late February for a week to visit friends building a home in Los Barriles- an hour north of the airport.

Liked most of the natives, the food was very good & reasonable. Interesting how many restaurants are in that little town. Paying for the meal is always slow.

Doubt I will go back-it's expensive for what it is IMO. If you drink only the beer is cheap. Wine is double and even tequila costs more there. We went to La Paz and rented a car through the hotel- Hotel Palmas de Cortez, and it was weird. The Sixt car rental desk guy wasn't there. Had called a week before to inquire and it got down to "we don't have any cars; we have to get one from the airport and it would be Friday. We wanted it Tuesday. So the hotel guys calls someone else who shows up with a Nissan Sentra with a Sixt sticker on the bumper and we never had any paperwork & I had to pay cash. $75/day for an 3-5 year old Sentra.

When driving on the highway to La Paz you never knew what the speed limit was for sure. The locals & local gringos were speeding around me. At one point a black Camaro came from nowhere with no front or back license plates and was on my bumper before passing me & disappearing.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:46 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've always found it interesting that those that have never done something always seem to have the strongest opinions about it.

I waited until I got home before I told my Mother I was jumping out of an airplane, my first parachute jump. Otherwise, I'm sure she would have told me I could die. Yes "could" but I also cross the street occasionally.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

When driving on the highway to La Paz you never knew what the speed limit was for sure.
I'd add, and you never know where the stop signs are. Most of the world displays the familiar hexagonal sign that's pretty recognizable for its' location and shape, even when seen from the back.

Some towns have stop signs smaller and maybe up a pole with other types of signs. If in doubt at an intersection of any type I stop, then proceed.

Ron
Old 03-17-2023, 08:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've always found it interesting that those that have never done something always seem to have the strongest opinions about it.

I waited until I got home before I told my Mother I was jumping out of an airplane, my first parachute jump. Otherwise, I'm sure she would have told me I could die. Yes "could" but I also cross the street occasionally.
I’ve been to Mexico, swing by Ferguson sometime.
Like I said, when you’ve nothing valid to say inevitably someone pulls out the uninformed card.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:04 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Like I said, when you’ve nothing valid to say inevitably someone pulls out the uninformed card.
From your prior posts, it seems like you don’t feel safe in your immediate area. Do you feel safe anywhere in your state of Missouri?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:13 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
You quote me? What make you think I was even thinking about you? Seriously....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote