Missing Person in Baja - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2023, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Missing Person in Baja

A dear friend of mine and fellow RV'er has gone missing in Baja near Todos Santos. He's not an Escape owner or member of this forum, but I know that many folks in this forum go to Baja and/or know folks down there, so just posting here in the hopes that his RV might be spotted. It's a fairly rare class C motorhome called a Tiger, this one has the name "Vaca Loca" on it. Last seen 6:45 pm Saturday evening 2/11/2023 heading north on playitas road from Las Brisas to camp in the arroyo north of villa Santa Cruz.

Authorities on both sides of the border are involved and there's a serious official search happening. There is evidence of foul play, enough that there are fears that he has been kidnapped. I'm posting anywhere I can...please keep your eyes out for this rig and/or this man...his name is Dean, and he spends every winter in Baja in this rig, he is well known in the area. His home is near me in the Tahoe area (Markleeville). Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
messages_0.jpeg   messages_0 (1).jpeg   messages_0 (2).jpeg  
Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
A dear friend of mine and fellow RV'er has gone missing in Baja near Todos Santos. He's not an Escape owner or member of this forum, but I know that many folks in this forum go to Baja and/or know folks down there, so just posting here in the hopes that his RV might be spotted. It's a fairly rare class C motorhome called a Tiger, this one has the name "Vaca Loca" on it. Authorities on both sides of the border are involved and there's a serious official search happening. There is evidence of foul play, enough that there are fears that he has been kidnapped. I'm posting anywhere I can...please keep your eyes out for this rig and/or this man...his name is Dean, and he spends every winter in Baja in this rig, he is well known in the area. His home is near me in the Tahoe area (Markleeville). Thanks for reading!
I hope he turns up safe. I just read that there is a travel warning for Baja and mainland Mexico right now. I love Todos Santos such a great area to surf.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Adding hope that Dean is found safe and sound.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Baja Nomad is the most likely site to have up-to-date info. A lot of their members live there and in previous situations like this have posted the most recent info available,

Good luck.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Baja Nomad is the most likely site to have up-to-date info. A lot of their members live there and in previous situations like this have posted the most recent info available,

Good luck.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I just checked and someone from our community has already posted it there too! BajaNomad - Dean Trivett missing Todo Santos - Powered by XMB
Old 02-13-2023, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Oh man. Sure hope everything turns out okay.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:04 AM   #7

Trailer: WTB: E19
Prayers for his safe return.

I have traveled for work to Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and China. Not anymore, I think my feet will stay planted in the U.S. and even that is getting kind of sketchy in some place.

In today's global unrest there is no way that I would travel outside of the country (just me personally).
Old 02-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Prayers for his safe return.

I have traveled for work to Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and China. Not anymore, I think my feet will stay planted in the U.S. and even that is getting kind of sketchy in some place.

In today's global unrest there is no way that I would travel outside of the country (just me personally).
Global unrest is broad term. I've been in all 50 states, and at last count 47 foreign countries. I've been safer in many of those than I was here in the US.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Global unrest is broad term. I've been in all 50 states, and at last count 47 foreign countries. I've been safer in many of those than I was here in the US.
Yeah and in some cases you are safer in some parts of some US cities than in other parts. I know right now, I'm glad I'm not in school and hope every single day my grandgirls stay safe too. How terribly sad is that, when a grandmother needs to worry about her school age grandchildren...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think his point was more that things are changing for the worse, everywhere.
I happen to be near one of the most dangerous places on the planet. In my time it’s always been a tough place but now the levels of violence and crimes are way amped up.

There are many safe areas close to STL, but if you’re not aware of the dangerous areas things can get ugly. You’d be amazed how fast things can change in just a few blocks.
I notice when traveling and even here, those who are not exposed to pending dangers are a bit oblivious to their surroundings and unaware of what others face on a daily basis. I can spot bad areas in the US fairly well and for the most part bad guys know in some states a person may be carrying self protection.
I someday want to live in a safer area in a bubble zone state of mind.

It’s been a long time since I was in Mexico, safer times, but to go there now, no thx. If someone said they didn’t want to go into the murder capital of the country here in Stl I wouldn’t be telling them how wrong and uninformed they are.

As far as the schools, I have noticed many of the horrible things that happen have started with some bullying. Some children are going through pure hell inside these schools.
The forces of our society are unwilling to do what will need to be done to take control of these schools. For example school uniforms, no phones, throw that out there and watch the hands start wringing.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

It’s been a long time since I was in Mexico, safer times, but to go there now, no thx. If someone said they didn’t want to go into the murder capital of the country here in Stl I wouldn’t be telling them how wrong and uninformed they are.
We were hesitant last March when my sister here in a small fishing village near Puerto Vallarta suggested we come down this winter. Our previous experience was an afternoon crossing the Rio Grande by foot to a town where we were warned not to leave the main Street.

After being here a month we feel safe, have not met a Mexican who is unfriendly. Like pretty well anywhere else one must take precautions of course. My sister is currently teaching English at a local school and says the kids are wonderful.

However next year we do not plan on coming back but will return to taking our Escape to the southern US.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I spend winters living and hunting in the country, summers gardening, camping and fishing in the country usually in out of the way places. The parks I like are small town, state, county and Federal parks. I do not stay in commercial business lots unless absolutely necessary.

I find that if I feel good about where I’m staying I have a good time and if I don’t like it, I move the next day. I know violence, have experienced murders, suicides, arson and gang violence in the parks I’ve been responsible for. I’m not interested in out of country travel unless it’s Canada. But that’s just me, to each his own.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-14-2023, 06:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m not interested in out of country travel unless it’s Canada. But that’s just me, to each his own.
Iowa Dave
Dunno, those Canadians can be pretty rough characters. They'll even make you eat poutine.

I certainly hope the missing gent is found, safe and sound but for the scare.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I hope he’s ok too. I’ve not been to Mexico and don’t have much desire to go.

I’ve liked Canadian Whisky even before I ever met a Canadian.

Maple trees, maple syrup, walleyes out of cold water, bears, Canadian Rockies, Nelson Eddy as a Mountie, what’s not to like?

https://www.google.com/search?q=jean...&bih=543&dpr=2
Happy Valenheartines day to all the ladies.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-14-2023, 08:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’ve been to Mexico a number of times, I’ve driven to Ensenada and San Felipe. I’ve found that the people are really nice, and the local police treat foreigners better than their own. Probably because we bring money to spend.

It’s been a couple of decades since I’ve last been, but I heard the same things back then as I do now, it’s dangerous. Yeah, it is in the cartel corridors. Baja isn’t a cartel corridor, so I’m hoping to return there with our Escape and do some rv camping.

I hope Dean turns up.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I’ve been to Mexico a number of times, I’ve driven to Ensenada and San Felipe. I’ve found that the people are really nice, and the local police treat foreigners better than their own. Probably because we bring money to spend.

It’s been a couple of decades since I’ve last been, but I heard the same things back then as I do now, it’s dangerous. Yeah, it is in the cartel corridors. Baja isn’t a cartel corridor, so I’m hoping to return there with our Escape and do some rv camping.

I hope Dean turns up.
Unfortunately nothing makes me more nervous in Baja than the police. Shakedowns are common in some areas and some levels of police are worse than others.

Baja has become a cartel corridor. Again, some areas and not others. Cabo, with all the wealth from rich folks and tourists has a high cartel involvement.

Other areas are "old Mexico" and there's nothing I enjoy more than walking down the street being the only Gringo in sight.

Unfortunately the type of vehicle involved made him a target. There are two main North South routes up to the US border. They have a few checkpoints along the way but everyone knows where they are. There's many rough backroads and it's possible to bypass the checkpoints. The type of vehicle involved is ideal for carrying a load of drugs that either came across to Baja on the ferry or through Cabo. I hope this isn't what happened but it wouldn't be the first time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
So you in the office furniture industry? Because during my career I traveled to every place you listed except the UK. Interesting thing is only place I ever felt unsafe was in Mexico, Mexico City to be exact. Never forget check into one of the nicest hotels in the city and they recommend you don't go out at night, we go by the home of one of the people we are doing business with and he has a large wall all around his property and says that he changes his routes on a regular bases to protect against kidnapping. We get to their plant and there are armed guards outside the gate.
Hopefully this person is found safe, peace and positive karma to his friend and family.
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:05 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Just for perspective, the homicide rate in Mexico is 26.5/100,000, the US 5.6/100,000, Canada 2.06/100,000, and 1.32/100,000 in France.
J1973s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Unfortunately the type of vehicle involved made him a target. There are two main North South routes up to the US border. They have a few checkpoints along the way but everyone knows where they are. There's many rough backroads and it's possible to bypass the checkpoints. The type of vehicle involved is ideal for carrying a load of drugs that either came across to Baja on the ferry or through Cabo. I hope this isn't what happened but it wouldn't be the first time.

Ron
Interesting. Is it the 4WD that makes it ideal? (The Tiger is 4WD IIRC.) Or the short overall length?
Old 02-15-2023, 07:24 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 None
Sorry to hear about his disappearance. Thoughts your way Joe.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote