New beer in town.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
New beer in town....

WE just shared a bottle of an unbelievable beverage, Appalachian Root Beer, made about 25 miles north of here in the capital city of Pennsylvania; Harrisburg. The taste reminds me of my first root beer I had as a child, a long time ago. Pungent and sweet, the flavor is robust. A&W, look out, there is a new kid in town. I'm thinking now, this root beer is the best there is and perhaps a beer tasting of the root kind be made at our next meet. I'll be bringing some of this with me for others to sample, I think it is the best there is......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0132.jpg   IMG_0133.jpg   Root-Beer-Hover.png  
Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Where'd you find it Jim.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

Walmart and here Appalachian Brewing Company
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks, will have to try it next trip.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: None now
While up in Osoyoos I made the mistake of buying a bag of licorice. We finally opened it last week and WOW, real old fashioned licorice. I went looking and finally found a reasonable source for it at a place called vitacost.
Not sure how it would go with root bear but by itself it's yummy if you like licorice.
I wonder if they make a sugar free version of their root beer? Sacrilege I know but a piece of licorice I can get away with, not a bottle of root beer.

Edit, took a look and they do make a diet version. I'll have to try it when I am far enough north to find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Panda-All-Natural-Soft-Licorice-075172079468.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
So how do you grow diet pure cane and put honey bees on a diet?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 7.43.33 PM.png  
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So how do you grow diet pure cane and put honey bees on a diet?

According to their site they use Stevia, which to me has a mild licorice taste if it's the not non purified type.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:19 AM   #8

I love licorice, particularly from Australia sold in Trader's Joe. Will have to try the Osoyoos source.....
Old 07-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
While up in Osoyoos I made the mistake of buying a bag of licorice. We finally opened it last week and WOW, real old fashioned licorice. I went looking and finally found a reasonable source for it at a place called vitacost.
Not sure how it would go with root bear but by itself it's yummy if you like licorice.
I wonder if they make a sugar free version of their root beer? Sacrilege I know but a piece of licorice I can get away with, not a bottle of root beer.

Edit, took a look and they do make a diet version. I'll have to try it when I am far enough north to find it.
Not a fan of pop of any kind really. Have to save my calories for tastier stuff, but I love a good strong licorice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not a fan of pop of any kind really. Have to save my calories for tastier stuff, but I love a good strong licorice.
Hi: Jim Bennett... All along I was under the impression you liked "Daddy Pop". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... All along I was under the impression you liked "Daddy Pop". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

I think he's into this

Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
I like the taste of Root Beer, but prefer less sweet tasting ones. A&W is way down on my list. That said, I've just about given up soft drinks in my effort to cut back on refined sugar and corn syrup.

Along with a package of my favorite Tarajulie black tea, I have some licorice-flavored loose leaf tea arriving in today's mail from Darlene's Tea Port. Curious to see how that tastes.

On the subject of beer, a new microbrew started up this month in our city. They make a very pleasant tasting beer with cantaloupe. They call it, "Mount Saint Melons." Here is their description:
Using a very old European technique of brewing, this kettle sour is in French wine barrels from the Burgundy region, denoting its refinement to a champagne quality that is slightly acidic and effervescent. The finish is a notable bouquet of oak, melon, Broken Arrow Blueberries and Black Berries.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #13

When you say refined sugar, are you referring to high fructose corn syrup? That to me is one of the downfalls of modern day ingredients. You body does not process it the same as sugar. I try to avoid any product with fructose corn syrup, give me sugar anyway, like the old way. Only certain sodas and syrup and ketchup and a lot of other products are switching back to sugar and that is good, in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When you say refined sugar, are you referring to high fructose corn syrup? That to me is one of the downfalls of modern day ingredients. You body does not process it the same as sugar. I try to avoid any product with fructose corn syrup, give me sugar anyway, like the old way. Only certain sodas and syrup and ketchup and a lot of other products are switching back to sugar and that is good, in my opinion.

You do know that table sugar AKA sucrose is a molecule made of glucose and fructose don't you? And most food and beverages in order to increase shelf life use inverted sugar, they boil it to break the sucrose down into glucose and fructose. This is done so the sucrose does not drop out of solution and crystallize. It increases the shelf life of food and beverages as they do not have to worry about the sugar crystallizing.

While fructose does have to take a trip though the liver to be processed into glucose and byproducts its affects on blood sugar are not to far behind glucose. And adding glucose to fructose causes the body to absorb more fructose.

They do not have to tell you they modified the sugar, it's still table sugar in the list of ingredients.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
further, cane sugar is the same biologically whether its refined or raw or brown or whatever... the golden 'raw' stuff might taste better in coffee, etc, but the sucrose/dextrose is still pretty much the same thing, 1 glucose stuck to 1 fructose, just waiting to bust loose.
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
When I refer to 'refined sugar' I mean sucrose, the white crystalline stuff that comes in a bag. But I also am avoiding corn syrup and especially high fructose corn syrup. Given an unavoidable choice between sucrose and high fructose corn syrup, though, I'd choose the sucrose (which is what we do when shopping for ketchup, jam, etc.).

I have read that cancer cannot live in a sugarless environment. While I'm not ready to go 'whole hog' with a ketogenic diet, I am cutting back on what I think are the worst offenders. And when possible, I go with somewhat more 'natural' sweeteners like pure honey and maple syrup.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
You do know that table sugar AKA sucrose is a molecule made of glucose and fructose don't you? And most food and beverages in order to increase shelf life use inverted sugar, they boil it to break the sucrose down into glucose and fructose. This is done so the sucrose does not drop out of solution and crystallize. It increases the shelf life of food and beverages as they do not have to worry about the sugar crystallizing.

While fructose does have to take a trip though the liver to be processed into glucose and byproducts its affects on blood sugar are not to far behind glucose. And adding glucose to fructose causes the body to absorb more fructose

They do not have to tell you they modified the sugar, it's still table sugar in the list of ingredients.
Oh, great. Just great.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I have read that cancer cannot live in a sugarless environment. ....
um, even if you were to never consume any sucrose/glucose/lactose/fructose/etc, your body produces glucose from complex carbohydrates such as starches to power your metabolism.
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #19

Well the new beer has some competition, ginger beer. Same brewery, different taste and texture and very aromatic...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0134.jpg   IMG_0135.jpg  
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Well the new beer has some competition, ginger beer. Same brewery, different taste and texture and very aromatic...
That Ginger Beer is very versatile, Jim! Mix in a little vodka and call it a Moscow Mule. Very refreshing too!

Cheers

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote