Now the fun begins..... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2022, 07:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now the fun begins.....

Watching the weather channel this am and seeing all of the reports of nasty weather in the midwest, I start to wonder if I can make it through the area unscathed on our trip to Chilliwack/Osoyoos next week? I have a new weather radio ordered to keep abreast of local conditions, but wonder what else can one do to travel safely this time of year? I realize taking the southern route can miss some of the nasty locations and plan on returning via the southern route, but taking the more direct, northern route on the way out. Any other suggestions, particularly from those who live in these storm prone areas?
Old 05-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Watching the weather channel this am and seeing all of the reports of nasty weather in the midwest, I start to wonder if I can make it through the area unscathed on our trip to Chilliwack/Osoyoos next week? I have a new weather radio ordered to keep abreast of local conditions, but wonder what else can one do to travel safely this time of year? I realize taking the southern route can miss some of the nasty locations and plan on returning via the southern route, but taking the more direct, northern route on the way out. Any other suggestions, particularly from those who live in these storm prone areas?
Hi: cpaharley2008... Have a good trip weather or not!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jim
I’ve been going west from Iowa most summers for 55 years. In the last 9 years with the Escape I usually stop in a truck stop sized gas station. Once I gas, if I’m concerned about possible “big weather” ahead I go inside and I watch the tv weather channel for a few minutes . I talk to eastbound old guy truckers if I can spot one. If I need to go north or south of incoming weather, I go back to the tow rig, get out my Atlas and plot the next 150 miles or so of driving. Sometimes I meet trucks going the other way. I watch for snow packed on them. I drive around weather, I’m not a Buffalo who “Faces the blizzard”.

Good luck on your trip. Lay up if you have to, there are no weather heroes. In the words of AZ Jack. “Put me on more fuel, I have a big storm to fly around.”

Do not camp in a forest of cottonwood trees. If you need to take shelter, look for a brick sht house. Get in a dip not on a hill and face east to save your windshield. The old bohemies out west of us 35 miles built their homes and farms as close to a big hill and on the east side of it. They knew.

When you see those towering cumulus clouds blow off and form an anvil head on the top, better hove to and get serious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=face...ile-gws-wiz-hp
Iowa Dave
Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21NE
We traveled across Washington state to Spokane last week. I've never seen so many different types of clouds in the sky. Some looked like they were from that show on Netflix stranger things. Evil looking tendrils hanging down from the sky almost touching the tops of farm houses. You could tell way ahead of time when you would be going through a real downpour. And if it wasn't for the beautiful spots in the sky where bright sun showed through poofy clouds I would have been more freaked out. Ended up being a very interesting drive for me and the closest I'll get to ever being a storm chaser lol.

I want to add that after returning to the westside of the state those evil looking clouds were over here too and we usually don't see those. Sounds like it was just a funky storm system rolling through.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:38 AM   #5

Sometimes I feel I'm playing dodgeball in school again, trying to avert nasty weather on the road
makes travels an adventure......CB radio, weather radio, FM radio, I'll be wired for sure....
Old 05-15-2022, 08:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Sometimes I feel I'm playing dodgeball in school again, trying to avert nasty weather on the road
makes travels an adventure......CB radio, weather radio, FM radio, I'll be wired for sure....
Hi: cpaharley2008... Dodgeball is one thing... dodgem cars is quite another!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Dodge ball is a violent activity and triggers many-this thread has been closed…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There is no reason to attempt to close this thread. Fortunately you do not have this authority. The man is taking a long trip, asked for some perceptions and appreciates serious answers and also has a sense of humor. Fortunately persons with good judgement do steady, involved work, helping all people to enjoy this forum as moderators. Respect them, respect the rules and we will welcome you and respect you. Your choice
Iowa Dave
Old 05-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
trying to avert nasty weather on the road makes travels an adventure......
Best be a boy scout. Pack snow shoes and hip waders. We set a record cold yesterday. Snow on the Coquihalla and Crowsnest.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have become a big fan of the Free App for your phone called My Radar.

When we traveled all over the states on our motorcycle trips it became my best friend. Always stayed away from weather and never got caught in the big storms.

I like that you can add in a layer for wind. That's saved me a couple of times because the storms hadn't bubbled up enough to be show on the radar.

Let the adventure be your friend. Good Luck!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Checking the weather for our trip out via #2, it's calling for 0C (32) in Havre MT where we plan to stop for the night Friday, guess we'll be packing our woolies.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I see my response to the attempt to social media bullying was taken down, not the attack on me…where’s Elon.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:06 PM   #13

Trailer: cancelled
Jim,
The Keep Your Daydream youtube channel has a video out tonight about RV weather/safety. They interviewed the guy that runs rvweather.com. (never heard of it before tonight) Looks like he offers a free weather routing service for specific trips. https://rvweather.com/rv-routing-services/

His background was Navy, Admiral NOAA COO, and Penn State Meteorology professor so not just a hobbyist.
Reimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There is no reason to attempt to close this thread. Fortunately you do not have this authority. The man is taking a long trip, asked for some perceptions and appreciates serious answers and also has a sense of humor. Fortunately persons with good judgement do steady, involved work, helping all people to enjoy this forum as moderators. Respect them, respect the rules and we will welcome you and respect you. Your choice
Iowa Dave
Thank you Dave, I think that was very well-put.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape
We are headed up the northern route in a couple of weeks and preparing for weather monitoring on the road. Heading north for cooler weather as soon as possible, then making our way west. FL and southern route is getting very hot early this year which is never a good thing.
We have a couple of "passive" weather alert radios, one for the truck and the other for the trailer. Having one, it's always forgotten and in the wrong place. Have a strong CB, so can use that for more details off the national weather services. The other key item is a good doppler radar site when there's cell. We believe staying storm safe is more likely by planning ahead as much as possible, passive alert radios for when you aren't looking/sleeping, and being flexible with plans. No need to push thru risky weather or not use our wheels to steer clear of predicted risky zones.
Living near the coast in FL we get lots of experience storm watching. Been hit hard by Andrew, Charlie, and Wilma.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Jim - I assume you have not picked up your new camper yet. So, you are footloose and fancy-free on the way to Chilliwack. So, little weather would not be much bother. I would take the Northern route and route 20 up in Washington. We traveled to Sumas around the same time last year - and there was no sign of any storms. Of course, we did not pass through any tornado alleys either between SLC and NW Washington.

All the best!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #17

Made it out to Chilliwack, then to Osoyoos, then to California and then home. all without any travel issues other than some snow/sleet/freezing rain in the mountains. The roads were salted and kept clear. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.....
Old 08-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Dodge ball is a violent activity and triggers many-this thread has been closed…
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a tornado!
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote