Our Military - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Our Military

Where do we find these young Men and Women willing to put it on the line?

It has been my privilege and distinct honor to command such young people in combat. There are none better!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Our daughter is among them, although not currently in a hotspot. I'm proud of all those awesome young service men and women.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Our son-in-law has deployed twice each in Afghanistan and Iraq plus a two year stint in South Korea. It's hard on a young family. fortunately he's nearing retirement and now teaching at Fort Leavenworth.

I love the way Americans thank members of the military with "Thanks for your service" unlike up here where we tend to ignore our service men and women especially the vets.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Deeply grateful for the service of the young and old men and women! Thank you, RangerMan!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Our son-in-law has deployed twice each in Afghanistan and Iraq plus a two year stint in South Korea. It's hard on a young family. fortunately he's nearing retirement and now teaching at Fort Leavenworth.

I love the way Americans thank members of the military with "Thanks for your service" unlike up here where we tend to ignore our service men and women especially the vets.
Thanks. It wasn't always so. Ask us old ones who came home from a totally screwed up war in the 60's. We were advised not to wear our uniforms after we got to San Francisco.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
.... I love the way Americans thank members of the military with "Thanks for your service" unlike up here where we tend to ignore our service men and women especially the vets.
Interesting, I just checked and don't see a military discount program mentioned on the Lowes.CA website.

In the US Lowes 'thanks' active and vets of all eras, even that 'unpopular' one in the 60's-70's:
Attached Thumbnails
lowes.jpg  
Old 08-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Thanks. It wasn't always so. Ask us old ones who came home from a totally screwed up war in the 60's. We were advised not to wear our uniforms after we got to San Francisco.
Yes, interestingly we were told not to wear our uniform while off duty in the city to avoid being a "target".....
Old 08-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
Thumbs up Lowe's means it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Interesting, I just checked and don't see a military discount program mentioned on the Lowes.CA website.

In the US Lowes 'thanks' active and vets of all eras, even that 'unpopular' one in the 60's-70's:
You need to sign up on line and when checking out, give the cashier your phone number. Lowe's is a company that is not just words unlike the competition.

The link is at the bottom of the page under Customer Service.
https://www.lowes.com/
Old 08-31-2021, 12:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

One reason our military is likely not as recognised as in the US is that according to some stats I just looked at .72% of the total American population serves in the military, active and reserve. The percent for Canada is .26% of the population, about one third, so military members are much less visible here.

I've not seen any retail establishment offer military discounts to Canadian service people or vets, but I could be wrong.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
https://dealhack.ca/blog/canadian-military-discounts
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
No matter what percent serves... Just acknowledge the sacrifice for serving your country..U.S.A or Canadian.... Its a priveledge to serve. Love that I'm a vet!
Old 08-31-2021, 05:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Love that I'm a vet!
I'll admit I don't love the fact that I'm a vet, but like my father before me during WWII, I was called, so served to the best of my ability, with no regrets. It was a 'maturing experience' to say the least.

Yes, I'm very thankful and appreciative for those who elect to serve, earning my undying respect and making conscription a thing of the past, hopefully forever.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Yes I remember those days. We wore civilian clothes when we traveled home on leave. So we wound not be targeted at the airports. First time I was thanked for my service was in 2010 at Roswell Cancer institute in Buffalo NY. A nurse noticed my tattoo and thanked me.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Drafted into the Army in 1968. Spent 1969 in Vietnam. Home in one piece and returned to college in 1970. Maybe because I was in Iowa I never felt shamed by my peers for my service. Only the WWII and Korean War vets were suspicious of my long hair and - I must admit - my attitude. All things must pass. Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Drafted into the Army in 1968. Spent 1969 in Vietnam. Home in one piece and returned to college in 1970. Maybe because I was in Iowa I never felt shamed by my peers for my service. Only the WWII and Korean War vets were suspicious of my long hair and - I must admit - my attitude. All things must pass. Ed
Same for me; I was even in RVN at the same time as you (I was with the 101st Airborne). I was drafted while teaching in the theatre department at one of NY's state colleges. I went to a show the night I got back to Oswego, and the department chair walked out on stage and made an announcement to an audience of 500 that I was back. While a bit embarrassing to have to stand up and be applauded (I am/was a technician, not an actor) it was a warm welcome home.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #16

I can't remember the date exactly but the soldiers who were returning from the mid east were being met at Bangor Maine and welcomed home by some vets. All over the TV. After that I was frequently told 'Welcome Home' when in Kingsville and Corpus Christi.

I almost always wear an Army cap and it's obvious which war was mine. Even after all that time it was nice being welcomed home.