Playing Guitar In Camp - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 02:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I like to practice with my trumpet. Reville is my fav.
Reville really takes me back. Young soldiers "Dress, right Dress. NCO's barking commands. Me standing there thinking, 'I should be doing something'
Old 10-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I play electric bass and have thought about bringing one along with a little practice amp but haven't yet. We live in a condo so I've learned to keep the volume really low, my wife can't even hear me in the next room. Last night someone was playing and singing a few sites over from us, some older stuff like Ian and Sylvia. It was faint and went well with our campfire.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I think that an amplified guitar is probably a bit much for a campground. That is why I always bring my acoustic Tuba.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We travel with a Martin half-size acoustic that fits in the 19’ closet. Sally also has a bugle that lives in one of the cubbies. She played the bugle for the Girl Guide camp near Mexico City growing up. She swears that her technique is lousy now but that it would be a great bear deterrent. The guitar is for inside, campfires and evenings but not too late.

A couple of years ago we were camped at a state park near a couple that had been coming to the same site for years. The wife was terminally ill and this was her last trip to their beloved site. Sally played (softly) lots of oldies just loud enough that they could either listen or ignore them. I think they liked the ambiance.
We love hearing live music when camping; well maybe not the bugle, but mandolins, guitars, etc are nice and usually the musicians are respectful of time of day and volume.

Sometimes when I am biking I come across small groups playing near the bike path here. I always stop to listen and enjoy for a bit.
Catherine (the appreciative audience, not the musician)
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 21NE
I think it really depends on the surroundings. The campground, it's vibe, the part of the campground your campsite is in and the time of week you're staying. For example a lot of campgrounds have tent areas that get much louder during the weekend than full hookup areas. Lots of kids playing and young people laughing and enjoying themselves. To me this seems like the type of environment that almost needs someone playing a guitar. Then on the other end of the spectrum is the middle of the week when it's quiet. That guitar might drive someone else nuts if there wasn't other sound to block it out and it carried across the campground. It does sound like you're a good musician though so that goes really far in what people are ok with.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This is actually turning out to be a pretty good discussion. Thanks for that.

My guitar, my favorite, is quite a new design. And I mean it when i say I can control the volume so it matches any guitar. This thing is amazing. Which is why I play it. I have a really nice triple aught (000) acoustic guitar made from Larivee. One guitar, a hand made classic gift, was made for me in South America. It is highly prized. Like no other.

The Tele is better than them all! By a long shot!! Ha ha ha! I love it. So VOLUME IS NOT A PROBLEM. Playing it opens up all the areas of the fretboard, any time I want. Really great. Plus I have a rotator cuff problem and I cannot get around a triple aught (000) very well. Not a problem with my Tele! Did I mention how sweet it is?

But did you notice a few comments seemed to suggest taking it out of the case is going to put some people out. I think it will too! So I am reticent to do so. Even thou I met some nice people doing exactly that. BTW, I always ask my neighbor before playing. If it is a problem, I stop.

I hope some day we can all get together and jam a bit! Only Love!

I can't play for three hours in a campground or a trailer.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
As a campground host of many years, I would say "We have 8 hours per day of 'generator hours' - go ahead and crank up the volume during generator hours." And outside of generator hours but inside quiet hours I would say "If someone has a problem with your playing, have them see the campground host". I would then come around to check that you were playing on key.

But during quiet hours - I am trying to sleep, so you can use your imagination what I would say if I had to.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
By the way, this thread has no point.

Most threads end up that way anyway. Nice to see one pointless from the get-go.

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 E19
Hearing someone play a guitar or harmonica in a CG has always been a treat for me.
Horns.... eh, not so much.

Keep playing, but quit by 10 pm at the latest. And remember, you can never please all the people all of the time. But when 95% of the people are enjoying the music (a percentage which I view as realistic) the 5% will usually see their enjoyment and make allowances for their sakes. If they're the sort who will not make allowances, they probably will not be shy about coming up and telling you... and then you can put the guitar away for them.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
We've stayed at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in CO a couple of times. It's located just up the mountain from Fort Carson (US Army Base). They play reveille in the morning over loudspeakers and the sound wafts up the mountain side to our camper. They play another couple of bugles at around 5PM.

'Retreat and To the Colors' Played while lowering and folding the flag by the Color Guard.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
This is actually turning out to be a pretty good discussion. Thanks for that.

My guitar, my favorite, is quite a new design. And I mean it when i say I can control the volume so it matches any guitar. This thing is amazing. Which is why I play it. I have a really nice triple aught (000) acoustic guitar made from Larivee. One guitar, a hand made classic gift, was made for me in South America. It is highly prized. Like no other.

The Tele is better than them all! By a long shot!! Ha ha ha! I love it. So VOLUME IS NOT A PROBLEM. Playing it opens up all the areas of the fretboard, any time I want. Really great. Plus I have a rotator cuff problem and I cannot get around a triple aught (000) very well. Not a problem with my Tele! Did I mention how sweet it is?

But did you notice a few comments seemed to suggest taking it out of the case is going to put some people out. I think it will too! So I am reticent to do so. Even thou I met some nice people doing exactly that. BTW, I always ask my neighbor before playing. If it is a problem, I stop.

I hope some day we can all get together and jam a bit! Only Love!

I can't play for three hours in a campground or a trailer.
I usually play a bit in the mid after noon and maybe early evening. I have no problem playing three hours in my trailer, my instruments are small and need no power. Last year I was preparing for the performance of 2 of the 4 seasons by Vivaldi on the mandolin with a string orchestra, 3 hours a day was the minimum to play these competently. However most of the music I play in camp is traditional Irish and Scottish with some blues and jazz thrown in. For years I traveled while working with the National Park Service and had a number of great friends who played near various midwestern National Parks. Instead of watching rv in the hotel I would practice. Make more music.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I just took up the ukulele a year ago and bring it camping. My friend (also an escape 17) plays guitar and mandolin so sometimes we play around the fire softly. It adds a lot to the camping experience imo.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #33

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
I bring my acoustic guitar and Native American flutes. Occasionally, hubby brings his piano. I play in the camper so I don't bother anyone else, plus, I do not feel I am audience-ready.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I bring my acoustic guitar and Native American flutes. Occasionally, hubby brings his piano. I play in the camper so I don't bother anyone else, plus, I do not feel I am audience-ready.

CindyL
Anyone from Woodstock must be audience ready...
Old 10-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #35

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Anyone from Woodstock must be audience ready...
Not the right Woodstock, but we did hold our Pink Elephant Rally this year near Wadena, Iowa.

https://www.thegazette.com/art/50-ye...ittle-richard/
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post

CindyL
I like piano, got an old upright that still sounds good. I don't see how I could get it in my trailer tho.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #37

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
I like piano, got an old upright that still sounds good. I don't see how I could get it in my trailer tho.
This might help.
Attached Images

bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I only wish I could play guitar or something. I can't even play the kazoo.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I was sitting at my favorite, local campground, wondering if it would be okay to play a few tunes. When the guy next to me, in a giant stickie, fired up his generator and giant orbital buffer, and gave the entire stickie a good buffing, at high pitch, for over an hour.

That's how I knew it would be okay to play for a bit.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Noise one-upmanship is never going to end well. Just sayin'
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote