Playing Guitar In Camp - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Noise one-upmanship is never going to end well. Just sayin'
As tempting as it sometimes is, I do agree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Since you asked... I don't think any kind of amplified sound is appropriate in a campground. Everyone around you may not like your music. Plus if it's ok for you to play through an amplifier, then it's ok for the next person, and the next, and the next.... Not what I want to hear while camping.

Since the OP asked, I agree with the above. Please keep it inside your trailer as I do my music.

Turning into an old curmudgeon here but I love to camp and be outside to hear the sounds of nature.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have my AM/FM radio and earbuds.
Dropped Sirius and their last offer, recently, was three months for $2.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Since the OP asked, I agree with the above. Please keep it inside your trailer....
That is exactly what I tell my noisy neighbor with the generator!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
I only wish I could play guitar or something. I can't even play the kazoo.
I do good to play a wax paper covered comb

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I enjoy playing classical guitar quietly around a camp fire. On occasion folks stop by because they rarely hear that style and ask about it. IMO any music quietly played on an acoustical guitar is nice. It all depends on the mood and feeling of the campground that night.

That said, I also happen to like a VERY WELL PLAYED bagpipe located about 100m into the woods...

Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #47

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
The real risk when boondocking is hearing “Dueling Banjos” getting closer and closer.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
The real risk when boondocking is hearing “Dueling Banjos” getting closer and closer.
Used to camp with some bachelor co workers years ago. Those Deliverance “lines” came up about every time out. Always comments about banjos too. I have camped a lot of places and at times was no doubt offensive to others. Probably still am.

Reminded me of a comment after a super bowl a few years ago when the interviewed player was asked about the performance of a team mate in the game. The answer was “He did what he do”.

I did do a dramatic reading from the song of Hiawatha once in Michigan at Tahquenamon Falls campground when I was a little tuned up. Didn’t go on too long and it was just after dark. Got a round of applause. Never knew whether it was my reading or that I was done but I have my suspicions.

I have coffee with some former co-workers about every week. The lady in the group was a member of the Scottish Highlanders from the University of Iowa. Now just history, they were popular in their day and toured widely including Scotland. Have never heard a bagpipe in a campground.

Play your guitars, flutes, bagpipes, whatever. Someone will tell you if they are bothered by it. Then quit, take a bow to nobody in particular and put your instrument away. Simple, as I see it. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 10-08-2021, 10:16 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
...Play your guitars, flutes, bagpipes, whatever. Someone will tell you if they are bothered by it...
Iowa Dave

Except they won't. As a solo female camper I would never approach another campsite to complain about anything...be it barking dogs, kids/adults walking through other campsites, music, generators after hours, whatever. I've seen it all. And camp hosts are frequently averse to confronting offending campers, too, in this day and age.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:25 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my kid likes to camp 50 miles from nowhere in the middle of a desert playa in north nevada with a few 100 of his friends. they run a 10KW diesel 'quiet' generator on a long cord, and power a stage sized sound system, and rock out for an extended weekend.

kinda hard to see, because the speakers are wearing 'socks', but just under the upper deck level is a pair of JBL SRX835P (3 way 15" mains with an integral 2000W Crown amp). Just below them is an SRX828SP 2000W powered subwoofer with dual 18". Normally there's two 828SP's, but one was out for repair, so there's a big old Cerwin Vega theater sized sub under the 828SP. this is effectively a mobile stage, suitable for live music (band on the upper deck) or for EDM (DJ on that same deck). The speaker up in the air is a 12" monitor for the people up on the deck. He organized these parties several times a year when he was in Reno, as well as went to Burning Man (where this picture was taken in 2019). He installed a 7KW Onan inverter/generator in place of the military toolbox under the truck. The truck is a surplus M925A1 5 ton 6x6 that has 49 inch super-singles on all 3 axles.

anyways, you would NOT want to camp within 5 or 10 miles to these guys, unless you're going to the party, because the camp IS a party.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:47 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Play your guitars, flutes, bagpipes, whatever. Someone will tell you if they are bothered by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Except they won't. As a solo female camper I would never approach another campsite to complain about anything...be it barking dogs, kids/adults walking through other campsites, music, generators after hours, whatever. I've seen it all. And camp hosts are frequently averse to confronting offending campers, too, in this day and age.
I agree with Karen. While I'm typically not afraid of other campers, I understand that many people are, and even I don't want to trigger some jerk. I also don't expect inconsiderate people to suddenly become considerate because someone talks to them; indeed, retaliation by increasing noise seems more likely. People who say "we're just quietly playing music that everyone likes" don't seem any more likely to respond well than any other noisemakers, since they believe themselves to be the judges of what is appropriate and what other people should like. By the way, I like guitar music... unless I'm trying to sleep.

My motorhome has an outside TV, because it came with that model. I tested it in my driveway to see if it works, and have not used it since. I can't imagine using it in a campground.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #52
Site Team

I can't play instruments for beans, but I do enjoy mostly folk acoustic string instrument-centric music (heck, just saw Jerry Douglas and John Hiatt at the Sunset Center in Carmel last night, heh), and I've been known to carry a small bluetooth speaker I play softly, within a few feet of my chair, or inside even softer at night (bedtime music...). If I have neighbors I chat with them during the day, and make sure they know its totally cool to tell me to turn it down/off at any time, heck they can blink a flashlight at me a few times at night and I'll take the hint.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:13 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Several years ago, my BIL and I were backpacking right at timberline on the north side of Mt Hood when somebody on the next ridge over started playing a trumpet. It was an hour or so before sunset, the songs were all mellow jazz selections, and played well. It was a beautiful summer evening, and it was sublime. I don't know if the trumpeter could hear us, but we gave him/her a standing ovation when he/she stopped playing about 20 minutes later.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Like I said before, know your audience. I wish the dog barkers, outside movie tv’s, and loud recorded music blasters were as respectful as me and my music friends. Or drunken party shouters etc.

Common campfire conversations and gatherings are a good possibility in the right situations. Me I go to music festivals where that is the reason for coming, it’s a lot more fun. My serious performances. I get paid. Ymmv
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Maybe in my sheltered life of living and camping primarily in the Midwest except for a few rallies we have attended I find people to be pretty considerate.
Camp hosts where I have camped in the last few years have been fairly quick on the draw and willing and able to approach offensive campers.

Two weeks ago my wife pushed her I phone 11 into the cup holder in her bag chair and went to do something. I heard it ringing so I answered it. The person on the other end identified themselves as a sheriff’s deputy and asked what our emergency was. I was, as usual, clueless and claimed no emergency and that I had only answered my wife’s phone. That’s all it took. About 8 minutes later a sheriff’s
Deputy rolled up to our site which I had identified. The deputy made sure everything was ok. When my wife pushed the phone into the cup holder it keyed the 911 because two buttons got pressed at the same time. The deputy told us that it was the third time that had occurred this season. I assumed the position up against the side of the Highlander and the deputy remarked I was awful good at that. We all had a laugh and I was pretty quiet the rest of the night. Did not need another run in with the po po. The next morning I got a positive on a covid test and it was back home for me after a 19 hour campout. Totally without symptoms I spent a few days on the extension ladder prepping our home for staining, lived in the Escape and had to fend for myself all week. Gained about 5 lbs. My follow up test was negative and the consensus was a false positive. All that fried pork for nothing. At least I didn’t get the gout.
gotta catch a break one of these days.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-09-2021, 12:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I can't play instruments for beans, but I do enjoy mostly folk acoustic string instrument-centric music (heck, just saw Jerry Douglas and John Hiatt at the Sunset Center in Carmel last night, heh), and I've been known to carry a small bluetooth speaker I play softly, within a few feet of my chair, or inside even softer at night (bedtime music...). If I have neighbors I chat with them during the day, and make sure they know its totally cool to tell me to turn it down/off at any time, heck they can blink a flashlight at me a few times at night and I'll take the hint.
I grew up 5 miles from Jerry Douglas and knew his father and brother who played with a great fiddle player friend of mine in a band called the West Virginia Travelers. Wonderful people. Jerry left NE Ohio at 16 for Nashville. The rest you know.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I grew up 5 miles from Jerry Douglas and knew his father and brother who played with a great fiddle player friend of mine in a band called the West Virginia Travelers. Wonderful people. Jerry left NE Ohio at 16 for Nashville. The rest you know.
awesome!

this is a couple minutes out of the pre-encore when they did a duet. where we were sitting (2nd row dead center) the bass was hitting really hard, so I didn't want to record any vid from the full band sets.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:46 AM   #58

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Quote:
Maybe in my sheltered life of living and camping primarily in the Midwest except for a few rallies we have attended I find people to be pretty considerate.
Camp hosts where I have camped in the last few years have been fairly quick on the draw and willing and able to approach offensive campers.

Two weeks ago my wife pushed her I phone 11 into the cup holder in her bag chair and went to do something. I heard it ringing so I answered it. The person on the other end identified themselves as a sheriff’s deputy and asked what our emergency was. I was, as usual, clueless and claimed no emergency and that I had only answered my wife’s phone. That’s all it took. About 8 minutes later a sheriff’s
Deputy rolled up to our site which I had identified. The deputy made sure everything was ok. When my wife pushed the phone into the cup holder it keyed the 911 because two buttons got pressed at the same time. The deputy told us that it was the third time that had occurred this season. I assumed the position up against the side of the Highlander and the deputy remarked I was awful good at that. We all had a laugh and I was pretty quiet the rest of the night. Did not need another run in with the po po. The next morning I got a positive on a covid test and it was back home for me after a 19 hour campout. Totally without symptoms I spent a few days on the extension ladder prepping our home for staining, lived in the Escape and had to fend for myself all week. Gained about 5 lbs. My follow up test was negative and the consensus was a false positive. All that fried pork for nothing. At least I didn’t get the gout.
gotta catch a break one of these days.
Iowa Dave
That happened at our Pink Elephant Rally too. A camper with a new phone accidentally dialed 911 and the deputy gave our campfire group a visit.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
awesome!

this is a couple minutes out of the pre-encore when they did a duet. where we were sitting (2nd row dead center) the bass was hitting really hard, so I didn't want to record any vid from the full band sets.

Nice
Thanks
Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #60
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Several years ago, my BIL and I were backpacking right at timberline on the north side of Mt Hood when somebody on the next ridge over started playing a trumpet. It was an hour or so before sunset, the songs were all mellow jazz selections, and played well. It was a beautiful summer evening, and it was sublime. I don't know if the trumpeter could hear us, but we gave him/her a standing ovation when he/she stopped playing about 20 minutes later.
Beautiful. We had a similar experience when at dusk with only a handful of people on the lake, a clarinet played, "What a wonderful world." I felt Louie Armstrong's presence.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote