Playing Guitar In Camp - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #61

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Except they won't. As a solo female camper I would never approach another campsite to complain about anything...be it barking dogs, kids/adults walking through other campsites, music, generators after hours, whatever. I've seen it all. And camp hosts are frequently averse to confronting offending campers, too, in this day and age.

With apologies to poet John Lydgate and Abraham Lincoln...

Camp hosts keep most of the campers happy most of the time, but we can't keep all campers happy all of the time.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #62

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Except they won't. As a solo female camper I would never approach another campsite to complain about anything...be it barking dogs, kids/adults walking through other campsites, music, generators after hours, whatever. I've seen it all. And camp hosts are frequently averse to confronting offending campers, too, in this day and age.

Sounds pretty much the same as many neighborhoods, the inconsiderate can be a pain.

I’m so lucky to have decent neighbors…

This thing being on wheels, I’m outa there if the rude are taking over.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #63

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
This might help.
Wouldn't work for me. I've always been scared of chain saws. I would be very dangerous with one of those things.

I was thinking, some det cord , strategically placed....
Old 10-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
I couldn't agree with Karen more. Assuming it's ok to force your noise onto other campers until they complain is just wrong. Maybe my neighbor likes James Taylor, but my preference is Def Leppard. I guess that means I can play my music until someone complains.

At our regular campground, the host goes to bed early in his trailer which is well isolated from the rest of the sites and he does his best to avoid any conflict (would much prefer to shut it out until someone complains). We camped this past weekend and found ourselves next to a large group that ran their loud industrial generator from 5:00 PM on past 10:00 PM. When we finally asked them to shut it down, the response was with expletives and aggression. Not everyone is willing to subject themselves to that by asking the offender to quiet down, nor should they have to.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
up almost til sunup doing loud "chatting".
Reminds me of going into a marina in a third world country and seeing one the rules was "no loud smiling". Some times things get lost in translation but I knew what they meant. Drunk folks often do loud smiling.

Some campgrounds have rules about amplified music. And if they don't they should.

No problem with Jim's type of soft guitar strumming, I've heard it and it's nice. But there is such a thing as too much of good thing and that's where I'd put amplified music in a campground.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #66

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love it when people play instruments and sing at a camp site wish i could .... but i cant i would ask the campers around if it bothers them and go with that and play during non quite hours sounds fun to me !!!!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am aware of Tim's Fender Acoustronic. And I want one! My Gibson J-185 is easily louder than the Acoustronic IF the amp is on 3-5 loudness.

Very interesting podcast on Leo Fender and Les Paul... 2 parts:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIAhAF&ep=6

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...EegQIAhAL&ep=6
Old 10-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #68

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
We camped this past weekend and found ourselves next to a large group that ran their loud industrial generator from 5:00 PM on past 10:00 PM. When we finally asked them to shut it down, the response was with expletives and aggression. Not everyone is willing to subject themselves to that by asking the offender to quiet down, nor should they have to.
That’s really unfortunate. Years ago I had a Class A pull up on the asphalt not far from my tent site at a small state campground and run a construction generator for hours on end. Of course it was behind his rig and facing us. So obnoxious it’s hard to believe someone with any decency could do it. The only saving grace was we were out on the lake most of the day. It was off in the evening or they left. Otherwise I would have said something.

My personal rules:
-Buy the most quiet inverter generator possible
-Run it only when absolutely necessary
-Limit runtime and run in ECO mode if load allows
-Have appropriate cords for flexibility in placing generator on site (opposite direction of other campsites and exhaust pointing away)
-Place a 2” rigid polystyrene enclosure around the generator on 5 sides

A Honda EU2000i is only a low hum at the back and sides of the enclosure at about 20’ away.

Assateauge Island in MD where we camped this summer highly recommended only inverter generators, strictly enforced quiet hours and also now has some “no generator” loops. Wish some other campgrounds I’ve been to would follow their lead.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:53 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I ran my EU1000i once during generator hours. Campsites were large and far apart and I faced the exhaust away from any other campers. I still got glared at by the neighbour, who was a good 80 feet away.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

and also now has some “no generator” loops. Wish some other campgrounds I’ve been to would follow their lead.
I've been in campgrounds with generator loops. But if your loop is near a generator loop and it's a contractor type generator......... But at least it's a step in the right direction.

Ron
Old 10-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
That’s a lot like having a smoking section in an airplane cabin. Helps but doesn’t solve the problem. ��
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've been in campgrounds with generator loops. But if your loop is near a generator loop and it's a contractor type generator......... But at least it's a step in the right direction.
Ron: I get it. Highly dependent on the layout of the particular campground and what type generators are in use. The generator free loops in combination with explicit language regarding noise is what I thought was really effective. Several users also had homemade sound attenuating foam enclosures like I described above (concealing already relatively quiet inverter generators).

· Generator Use: The operation of generators is prohibited during the established quiet hours from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am. At times outside of quiet hours, operation of any loud generator or those operated at a noise level disturbing to other campers are prohibited in the Assateague State Park campground. These generally include conventional or "construction style" generators; please refrain from bringing these generators with you to the park. Recommended generators include inverter style, built-in, or "quiet/whisper quiet" type units. Campers operating a noisy generator disturbing to other campers will be required to turn them off.
· Generator-Free Loops: Generator use is not permitted in Loop D, Loop J, and starting in camping season 2022, Loop C will also be generator-free.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
That’s a lot like having a smoking section in an airplane cabin. Helps but doesn’t solve the problem. ��
I remember those days. And that's when your knees actually had space to the seats in front of you. It'd be downright silly to have that situation now with the current sardine can seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
R
tablished quiet hours from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am. At times outside of quiet hours, operation of any loud generator or those operated at a noise level disturbing to other campers are prohibited in the Assateague State Park campground. These generally include conventional or "construction style" generators; please refrain from bringing these generators with you to the park. Recommended generators include inverter style, built-in, or "quiet/whisper quiet" type units. Campers operating a noisy generator disturbing to other campers will be required to turn them off.
That's what it takes to get the message across to some folks. If more places would be that informative to campers it would definitely reduce the annoyance of contractor generators.

You did mention about placing foam around the generator on 5 sides. I've designed many sound shielding enclosures and the most critical aspect is ventilation, both for the exhaust and cooling. 5 sides is fine as long as there's openings or gaps.

Ron
Old 10-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You did mention about placing foam around the generator on 5 sides. I've designed many sound shielding enclosures and the most critical aspect is ventilation, both for the exhaust and cooling. 5 sides is fine as long as there's openings or gaps.
Nothing gets past you Ron. Yes, 5 sides with small gaps where the sides meet to allow for intake air to be pulled in.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #75

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
We took the kids to Mammoth Cave NP years ago when they were something like 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th grades.

One morning in the NP campground, our neighbor in a class A RV fires up his generator promptly at 7:00 AM, the absolute edge of 'quiet hours'. The generator runs for 5 minutes. Then 10 minutes later he starts the engine and drives off.

This guy woke up a bunch of people so he could make a piece of toast before driving off.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One evening while camped at Valley of Fire SP near Las Vegas close to 3 years ago now, a camper was running a noisy genset with it right beside a giant sized rock. It was getting really annoying while sitting in the dark around the fire. When it finally was shut off, the 4 of us cheered....along with a heck of a lot of other campers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #77

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA 2019
I often bring my Lever Harp, Native American style flute, or my Ukulele, but never amplify. Playing a harp acoustically in the woods or the mountains is therapeutic to me, but I always respect any campers beside us. I love it when I stumble upon a jam session or song circle of musicians.
Craig.Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #78

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
I play the Native flute, and will often play in campgrounds. The response has always been positive. It adds an interesting haunting atmosphere when camping near Indian ruins late at night.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Typically I can't stand hearing a radio while camping. And especially a TV/movie. Add in generators, kids, dogs and I find myself avoiding campgrounds when I can. However, music from an instrument being played requires a skill I don't possess. I respect the effort it takes to be able to play especially in public. And for that reason strangely enough I enjoy hearing someone playing. I don't care if it's a tuba. So I say go for it.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
We just returned from a camp adventure to Utah, and one night we heard bagpipes being played very softly from inside a trailer whose front door was open - it was magical! My only complaint was that the musician stopped playing too soon!