Playing Guitar In Camp - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2021, 06:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Playing Guitar In Camp

Or Not, as the case may be.

Okay, so I have been camping in our 5.0 for over six seasons now (not quite two years). Every time I have brought my super sweet Fender Telecaster Acoustasonic guitar and my sweet little Fishman bluetooth amp. It is a setup that is to-die-for (so to speak only). The sound is spot on.

Every time I bring it out and play a little bit, I get overwhelmingly nice comments and sometimes people come over and introduce themselves. I have also noticed others have a tendency to bring out their instruments and play them too. I like that.

I have played for over 45 years, and I practice at least 3 hours each day. At least I did before I bought this camper. By the way, this thread has no point.

Even thou I get mostly praise and positive feedback, I am reticent to play in camp much. I keep thinking I am going to piss someone off. One day an entire family came by and introduced themselves and told me how important it is to hear music like this when out camping. They felt pretty strongly about it. One guy took movies.

I always play thru an amp, but I can match the level of a standard acoustic guitar. So level is not too much of a concern. I never bring an electric guitar out, although I could play those almost silently. It's singing that's a problem. I'm loud! Plus it's egocentric as hell. It's like putting up a big sign that says look at me. I don't much care for that.

I look for dead campgrounds with no one around and usually talk to the host before hand. If boondocking I don't play if anyone is around. It's just not fair to others that are within audio range. My poor wife is used to me blasting away in my studio anyway.

Do you guys play in camp much? Do you get any negative comments? I'm a sensitive fellow and would rather affect people in a positive way. Sometimes I get the idea that some of these musicians are looking for an excuse to get together and jam for a bit. I just don't know.

Anyway, here are a few pics of my guitars and a link to my published music theory work. I believe my work is world class, but then again, I would like to introduce my ego. Plus it seems a little slow right now.

Uncle Tim's Fine Guitar Books - Learn to play guitar with guitar lessons and books from Uncle Tim
Attached Thumbnails
3 Guitars-cropped.jpg   mini-fish-3.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Though I've never stopped to introduce myself or to give a compliment, my steps often slow when I walk past someone softly playing. Please continue to play and thank you for sharing your gift. The mellow sound of an acoustic guitar, thoughtfully played, enhances my camping pleasure.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have a Taylor GS Mini that I like to pick on. Sometimes folks can even recognize the 'songs' I play.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Your playing music is like any other music being produced by any means. Mostly that means radios. Like those recognize that not everyone shares your taste in music. Be respectful of quite hours and maybe even extend those a couple hours on either side. To be extra courteous your could restrict you playing to 'generator hours'.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Sometimes I want music; sometimes I want nature. Just be respectful and play quietly and I think all is well.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape
If a neighboring camper did not want to listen to amplified music three hours a day how should they approach you about it and would you accommodate them?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I play guitar, but when in a campground I do so quietly as possible, often inside, and only during the day. I am a bit of a campfire hack though. [emoji16]

People who enjoy it, which is many, will often show they do. Those that don't want it will say nothing and only maybe grumble to others.

Why amplify at all? There are so many great sounding acoustic guitars that do not need it. I know lots of guitar players and none play amplified music out camping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
I play guitar and mostly Swing. I taker my guitar camping. Acoustic and not thru an amp.

One time in a very small campground (we had 7/10 sites booked with Musical friends), we got playing enthusiastically.- The other campers from the 3 sites had come and sat around the edge of our main site, and then they started dancing- it was wonderful. It was also a one off camping event.

I usually take a guitar- most of my playing is during the afternoon.

I'd rather listen to music being made then thru a radio or streaming service. For me the differences is that the person playing will take breaks vs the radio/streaming which will play on and on for hours- and usually a genre that causes pain (new country, or rap come to mind...)
When I'm playing If someone is bothered or its interrupting their nap or quiet time, then of course I'd not play.
I was a singer first, so moderating my voice to suit my playing volume or style is what I do.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I sometimes play fiddle or mandolin outside when the weather is nice, also I’ll play inside my trailer. I’ve performed for over 40 years in traditional bands as well as an orchestral appearance as a soloist a few times. One thing I’ve learned is how to read a room or a campground in this case. Most people like the music, live music usually draws a conversation and I have met fine musicians on my journeys. I also am very cognizant of not disturbing people. Frankly loud recorded music and barking dogs seems to me more of an issue in my experience. There are a few festivals I go to where the point is a gathering of players, now that is fun and usually the sessions are long and interesting.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #10

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
My friend always brings his guitar on his camping adventures.

He brings his acoustic because it's just less packing involved.

Me? I own a couple guitars but I am terrible and would never let anyone hear my squeals.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I like to practice with my trumpet. Reville is my fav.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Remember the time you had a pile of dung dumped on your tow vehicle afterwards. Sorry, it was a spur of the moment reaction, I should have counted to 10. [emoji16]

Actually, not sure what reville even is. [emoji849]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Actually, not sure what reville even is. [emoji849]
It's "Reveille". (Pronounced REV-uh-lee here in the states).

The only reason I know that is that this once young man became intimately acquainted with it at 5 am one morning at boot camp.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is a "wake up call" experienced in the military......
Old 10-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's "Reveille". (Pronounced REV-uh-lee here in the states).

The only reason I know that is that this once young man became intimately acquainted with it at 5 am one morning at boot camp.
I have heard the word before now that you added pronunciation. I don't believe it is a thing in the Canadian military. I have been wrong before though.

Edit: I just did a search and listened to it. I have heard it before, for sure. Probably a movie.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Since you asked... I don't think any kind of amplified sound is appropriate in a campground. Everyone around you may not like your music. Plus if it's ok for you to play through an amplifier, then it's ok for the next person, and the next, and the next.... Not what I want to hear while camping.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We stayed a week at Sleeper State Park on Saginaw bay a couple years back. Caseville has a week long cheeseburger festival in August and the campgrounds are full. Our neighbors were there with multiple friends and they had multiple acoustic get togethers during the week and we enjoyed every minute. Were strictly acoustic strings and bongos. A party atmosphere pervades the campground that week. They even run a bus service to Caseville to allow campers to avoid parking and issues with drinking and driving. Would like to go back as the festival has a Margaritaville theme and is a lot of fun. They were never loud and were respectful of quiet hours.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #18

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We've stayed at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in CO a couple of times. It's located just up the mountain from Fort Carson (US Army Base). They play reveille in the morning over loudspeakers and the sound wafts up the mountain side to our camper. They play another couple of bugles at around 5PM. Pretty cool to hear. Kinda corny, but it makes me proud and nostalgic since I grew up on a number of military bases as an "army brat". Old man was in the artillery. BOOM!!

I usually bring my old telecaster camping. I find that solid body guitars really stay in tune. Works for us since I usually practice and noodle around with a set of headphones run through a small battery powered amp. I call it "stealth guitar"
Old 10-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Mine is 'Chow Call'
Old 10-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Since you asked... I don't think any kind of amplified sound is appropriate in a campground. Everyone around you may not like your music. Plus if it's ok for you to play through an amplifier, then it's ok for the next person, and the next, and the next.... Not what I want to hear while camping.

My point exactly. Quiet is a good thing.

Speaking of reville, tent camping once and 2 women were up almost til sunup doing loud "chatting". Pay back is a b1tch, an annoyed neighbor got his trumpet for real and serenaded the ladies with a 2 min blast of reville just after sunrise!! Whole campground erupted. Hilarious!