Questions for MacBook M1 folks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Can't say, but my daughter is still using my old MacBook Air, purchased mid 2012. Her husband is IT guy.

She uses PC for work and Mac for leisure. I get her old iPhones and her hubby uses Samsung phone.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I too do not know Apple’s support timeline, but my 2005 MacBook could no longer be updated in 2012, but I still use that computer. My 2011 MacBook Pro died from over heating in 2019, but it was pushed very hard everyday for 16 hours a day 7 days a week. My 2019 loaded iMac is still going well, and gets updated, but doesn’t see a lot of use. It does get pushed hard when it gets used. That’s my Mac experience. The few PC’s I’ve had have been hardware sound, but have been Much more software finicky.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Perhaps an odd way to look at things but bear with me ...

My 2014 Dell laptop becomes 'functionally obsolete' after 11 years (when Win10 security support ends and it won't run Win 11). Yeah, the machine will still function running Win 10 after that but lacking security update support, for my purposes it's "non-functional", so take that as a given for this exercise.

I know Apple products face analogous 'functional obsolescence' as defined above based on OS version support and ending security updates, but I've no feel at all for the timeframes when talking macOS.
  • If one buys a MacBook Air M1 today, delivered with macOS Monterey, for how many years should one reasonably expect that machine to be supported with compatible OS / security updates from Apple?
Just curious ....
My wife’s Mac went 11 years. It was the kind you could increase ram on, so it went from 4-12GB ram around year 7.

Eventually, they don’t support OS upgrades, and some apps will start requiring them, so if you want those apps, you need to upgrade. Also, the apps get more bloated and RAM intensive.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thanks, the support timeframe question is answered, original post edited.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:34 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I have four Macs. The oldest is a 17 inch MacBookPro Early-2011. It is on it's third motherboard. I upgraded the memory (16 MB) and solid state hard drive myself, on my bench. I also have had everything including the monitor replaced, much of that thru AppleCare. I can still get tech support, much of it free.

I use it every day knowing that High Sierra OS (10.13.6) is the end of the line for this old bird.

But it still has a quad core chip and a bunch of memory so it still works full time. I bought a new MBP last year ($3,500) and that does all the heavy lifting. It also runs Numbers, Pages and Shortcuts and all the photo and video editing stuff. New apps which are all indispensable.

As an example, I can take almost anything I see on screen and put it thru very accurate OCR with a simple partial screen capture. This is outstanding stuff for a publisher.

I also have a 2012 Mac Mini that is only for file serving. It never gets updated and continues to run reliably. The big disk arrays have their own Linux OS.

So they can run for a very long time if you re register your expectations. And the Mac OS really does coddle you! I don't mind that.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #26

Yeah, my Q ws about timeframe of security support for a given hardware base, not hardware longevity itself, but thanks!

In any case, questions along that line are answered, it's a non-issue in the buying decision.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:52 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Yeah, my Q ws about timeframe of security support for a given hardware base, not hardware longevity itself, but thanks!

In any case, questions along that line are answered, it's a non-issue in the buying decision.
Well, think about this. Mac OS has a baked in firewall. It is not an afterthought or an add on. You still have to manage the decisions correctly but it works great. I do not use any anti-virus software. I do use Malwarebytes to keep things clean.

If you get AppleCare, a $279 add on to the purchase, all you have to do is call in for whatever issue you are having. Everything is fixed for free with all the help you need. If it gets really bad, you can pay extra, last time it was $80, and get in the server tech support group. Assuming you are running server. These people are another level of support. They are very high level and they know it.

My problems are alway beyond first line tech support. Otherwise I would just solve them. I think you would be very happy if you find yourself in that need.

You will have access to a better level of support. Plus they know everything you have and that really helps.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #28
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
12v adapter to charge MacBook Air laptops

We both have MacBook Airs and love them.

We found this to be a useful device to use with the Macs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It allows one to charge the laptop with just a 12v adapter (in the car or the trailer). No inverter or AC connection required.

-Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I know Apple products face analogous 'functional obsolescence' as defined above based on OS version support and ending security updates, but I've no feel at all for the timeframes when talking macOS.
  • If one buys a MacBook Air M1 today, delivered with macOS Monterey, for how many years should one reasonably expect that machine to be supported with compatible OS / security updates from Apple?
Just curious ....
Almost forever, except that when they change processor architecture they may drop you like a hot potato as they did when the switched from PowerPC to Intel. Not that I have a boat anchor PowerBook or anything...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:52 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We both have MacBook Airs and love them.

We found this to be a useful device to use with the Macs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It allows one to charge the laptop with just a 12v adapter (in the car or the trailer). No inverter or AC connection required.

-Bea
Bea, will this work in the Escape 12v round adapter?
Old 03-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #31
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bea, will this work in the Escape 12v round adapter?
Hi Jim - Yes, the standard 12V round adapter used by Escape works just fine with this charger. Using it right now as I type this response. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Jim - Yes, the standard 12V round adapter used by Escape works just fine with this charger. Using it right now as I type this response. - Bea
Thanks, I ordered one....
Old 03-16-2022, 11:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I’m getting to the age where the computer is going to outlast me.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
One more vote for upgrading your RAM to 16 GB. My 2013 iMac is still operating fantastic and has current security updates using Catalina, despite there being 2 newer OS releases. My previous Mac lasted for 8 years before I replaced with the current one. In my experience supporting friends and family (used to be a PC guy), Macs have outlasted PCs in terms of being able to operate with the latest security upgrades.

If you plan on owning your Mac for a while, do the upgrade now because you can't add it. All those apps you use routinely will be using up more and more RAM as time goes on.

As well I will never go back to a PC. Macs made my life a lot easier supporting friends and family.

Bobbito
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #35

Yeppers, been Apple since, long time..... I still have my first one with built in 3.5 drive.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Refurbished and clearance

If you want to save a bit of money, scroll down to the bottom of Apple's website and look for "Refurbished and Clearance". There will be machines listed at a discount, and they are eligible for the AppleCare extended warranty. I bought my last two Apple laptops this way, the current one being a MacBook Air with the M1 chip.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A $4000 supercomputer

Time for some thread drift-- the recently announced Apple Mac Studio Ultra costs $4k and can produce 20 teraflops, which is 20 trillion floating point operations per second. This is twice as fast as a 2001-era supercomputer:

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/...pinion_column/

And it will sit on your desktop.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I guess I have an unusual approach to the life expectancy of a computer. Since I am on the road 6 - 8 months of the year, I use a laptop. I tend to replace mine every 4-5 years, primarily because software tends to bloat (often with useful features) fast enough that a 5 year old computer shows its age.

Current laptop is a 2018 MacBookPro with dual video cards, the fastest laptop available at the time. I expect to replace it next year. This was my first computer with a solid state drive and the speed increases, particularly booting up & Lightroom / Photoshop processing, are well worth the move away from standard hard disks.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,3
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
Storage 2 TB SSD
Old 03-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #39

Thanks to everyone for your considered and thought-provoking comments, all are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 F250
I made the leap a while ago for business reasons. The security is the best available; perhaps the most important part is the rapid update process. The included word processor and spreadsheet have a short learning curve and work well.

I recommend that you avoid the “old software trap”. It will ultimately drive you nuts. Move on to new, different and usually better software. Apple products are very popular and popular attracts developers.

I rarely use my Mac book pro any more because my phone is so functional. If I need a big screen I borrow my wife’s iPad and use a blue tooth key board.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote