RV sales increasing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
RV sales increasing

I didn't expect this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...rv/ar-BB13Zlgc
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Yea, people don't want to vacation on cruise ships or stay in hotels. Car sales will probably be down until the showrooms can open, but the RVs are going like hotcakes!
Old 05-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Switching travel and vacations to RV's and away from airlines, hotels, cruise ships etc. spells trouble for FT'ers. It can already be difficult to get reservations without shifting all that onto campgrounds.
I got the last spot at Fools Hollow in Show Low AZ for my rental maintenance trip at the end of May.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We were able to get reservations in south fork Colorado last week of sept just barley was on a list n peeps canceled
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I knew this was going to happen, I have heard many people say, I'm not getting on a plane for a while.

Book your camping now!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I knew this was going to happen, I have heard many people say, I'm not getting on a plane for a while.

Book your camping now!
Hi: Doug2000... Looks like more Wal Martin' if poss. for those who don't like to "Book ahead". Another thing about being in the "Every day is Saturday" crowd is forgetting about long weekends!!!
As I always say "If we have bed bugs they're ours"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Fake News

I love these articles written as filler. I read the article looking for some figures to back up his story. Only anecdotes from some dealers. The author missed the key statistic.

Even though he interviewed the president of RVIA, he failed to look at their website. The RVIA is the trade group for the entire industry and they collect data on shipments to dealers. For the period ending in March their shipments were down 20.3% compared to March 2019. Source:www.rvia.com
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ever since I missed a flight back in 2000, which eventually crashed, I have not flown!! Do not want to temp fate again.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd fly if I didn't have to go to the airport.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Forget the airport, just get your very own flying car

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...kies-2018.html

Forget the airport, just back out of your garage, and be off and away!
Maybe....someday.
Attached Thumbnails
flying car.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I flew over 300 times over my career. Never again if I can avoid it.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #12

Flying is OK, if they tell you what they are going to do first.

I've flown with these guys:

Escuadrilla de Alta Acrobacia Halcones ("Hawks High Aerobatics Squad"), known simply as the 'Hawks' (Halcones), is an active group of nine officers of the Chilean Air Force who are trained specifically for aerobatics. One of the Halcones' signature moves is recreating the Chilean star in the air using smoke. The team may be likened to the British Royal Air Force's Red Arrows for their affinity for complex, high-risk, aviation-based manoeuvers.
The team flies Extra 300L aircraft. The Halcones have performed demonstrations in airshows in Argentina, Ecuador, Brazil, United Kingdom, Belgium, United States, Canada, Israel, France, Peru, Uruguay and Bolivia.

Done an auto-rotation landing in a fire-spotting helicopter. Sat in the jump seat of a DC-3 as the lone passenger on a flight into Old Crow, above the Arctic Circle. And, had many close calls.

I just hate airports.
Attached Thumbnails
Baglo fly.jpg  
Old 05-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #13

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Flying

I worked for UAL for 38 yrs I’ve been to every Continent except Antarctica I retired 12 yrs ago and I can almost count how many times I’ve gone somewhere by plane After retirement. I enjoy my trailer and added bonus I can take my dog
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #14

Don't have to sit on the tarmac for three hours waiting your turn to be de-iced.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
No more sitting next to a uncaring passenger that is badly overdue for a shower :
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Outlook for RV Industry: Sales; Rentals; Campgrounds; etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Switching travel and vacations to RV's and away from airlines, hotels, cruise ships etc. spells trouble for FT'ers. It can already be difficult to get reservations without shifting all that onto campgrounds.
I got the last spot at Fools Hollow in Show Low AZ for my rental maintenance trip at the end of May.
https://coloradosun.com/2020/05/19/r...irus-vacation/

Related article with a mostly Colorado and USA perspective. Long, but only part of the article from the Colorado Sun:

"After a dormant April, the industry is seeing a revival in May, driven in large part by a surge in demand for RV rentals. As states allow more campgrounds to open, Geraci said her members are reporting “a ton of interest for first-time renters.”

That’s good, but since 40% of the country’s RV rentals go to international travelers, it’s unlikely the growth in first-time renters can compensate for the disappearance of free-spending international visitors, Geraci said.

“That’s a silver lining in a bad situation,” she said. “We are cautiously optimistic. We went into this really strong and the change in how people are traveling could be good for the industry but it doesn’t change the fact that our manufacturers were closed for all of April, which is typically a very busy time.”

The 3,000-plus members of the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds in recent years have seen a majority of their RV visitors traveling within 150 miles of their homes.

“We think that is certainly going to be the case in the age of COVID. Maybe even more constricted,” said David Basler, the association’s vice president of marketing.

The association’s latest survey of private campground owners estimates there are more than 1.2 million private campsites across the country and owners plan to add more than 60,000 this year. For years, a majority of visitors to those campgrounds have been older folks visiting for an entire season. Basler suspects recent upticks in young vacationing visitors will grow during the pandemic.

MORE: Campers now want more than just a tent. One Colorado campground is leaning into those changing tastes — and shorter attention spans.

Private campground owners are preparing for wary visitors by scripting specific plans for cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining distancing. Communal facilities — like pools, gyms and game rooms — are largely closed.

“In states that are opening, we are hearing from our members on a daily basis that they went from no reservations to booked solid in no time,” Basler said. “As restrictions start to loosen, we are not going to see people cruising cross-country or flying but they are looking at how they can get outside, closer to home and be as safe as possible. The RV is a self-contained way for them to do that.”

Kansas-based Airxcel, the holding company of many brands that supply the RV industry, is seeing business “roaring back” as RV makers and owners order equipment like roofing, paneling, air conditioners and hot water tanks, vice president of marketing Piar Adams said.

“Way better than we expected,” Adams said. “It makes sense. I think what we are seeing is people who were maybe saving up for a vacation that isn’t happening are realizing that RVing can happen.”

The owners of Gunnison County’s Kebler Corner campground and RV park say their phones and email have been “blowing up” since the state began relaxing restrictions. (Provided by Kebler Corner)
Summer reservations for cabins, RV slips and tent sites at Emily and Paul St. Ruth’s Kebler Corner campground at the base of Kebler Pass were strong in January and February. When Gunnison County worked to control the spread of COVID-19 by shutting down to all visitors in mid-March, the calls stopped.

“Since the governor’s press conference on May 11, our phones and email have been blowing up,” said Emily St. Ruth.

That was when Gov. Jared Polis announced his “safer-at-home” plans to slowly reopen the state, with an eye toward opening some hotels and campgrounds by Memorial Day weekend.

“I feel like everyone was in a holding pen, really across the globe,” she said. “Now as things begin to open up, there is a definite and growing demand. I would not be surprised if we have our best year ever if this keeps up.”

The family owners of Kebler Corner are only filling their campground to 25% capacity as Gunnison County slowly begins to welcome visitors. (Provided by Kebler Corner)
The St. Ruths are only filling Kebler Corner to 25% capacity for Memorial Day weekend, part of Gunnison County’s plan to slowly phase openings of campgrounds, stores and restaurants. The county will allow them to offer all their campsites by May 28, but the St. Ruths are scaling back occupancy for the first month or so.

“We are business people, but right now our responsibility has shifted to protecting our community, our guests and ourselves,” said St. Ruth, whose family lives at Kebler Corner. “We want people to be out in nature, and we want people to be able to recreate. But we want to be responsible, too.”
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ever since I missed a flight back in 2000, which eventually crashed, I have not flown!! Do not want to temp fate again.

Statistically it's been proven that the most dangerous part of flying, is the drive to the airport.