?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question ?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

Hi all - we know quite a few very smart people in the Escape community - as we used to own a 21' Escape, and went to Quartzsite quite a few times ... so I'm posting these questions here by the 'campfire' in hopes that some kind, wise people will chime in.

I have a couple questions (below) but for clarity - the truck we are about to order (for our forthcoming, always mounted pop-up truck camper) is listed at the very bottom. This is our first ever truck purchase. Please be kind to us newbies. :-)

so - do we want these following items that we are unsure on?

Unsure if we want the (approx $500) 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package (4X4) as I need to check with Pop Up Truck Camper manufacturer if we need the One (1) integrated 7-pin connector on driver's side pickup bed wall

Unsure if we want the (approx $1,000) Adaptive Steering System - Thoughts? “At lower speeds, the steering ratio decreases, requiring fewer turns of the steering wheel — and less steering effort. At higher speeds, the steering ratio gradually increases, producing a steering feel that is firmer and more controlled.”

Unsure if we want the BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow (approx $540) as I believe the width of the pop up truck camper will block the BLIS sensors, and make those little yellow lights always on. An owner of pop up camper made by same company, with a similar Ford, said his BLIS lights were always on when the camper was in the bed.

Unsure if we want the Exterior Backup Alarm. I hear it is as loud as heck, so would annoy neighbors at campsites, but it is a huge truck, and we will have to back out of our driveway, with big hedge up to sidewalk… …. I would never want to hit anyone! :-/ TBD

Unsure if we want the Black Hood Defector. (about $130)

Any info as to if the LED Headlamps/Taillamps (2019 = $1k option) will be standard on the 2020 Lariat? I hear rumors of YES. :-)

Unsure if we want the “Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System” ($1,000) to get the included “Customer-Placed Trailer Camera” (we would place it on the camper rear)
“customer-placed camera will provide a helpful view of what’s behind your trailer. Prep kit includes camera and wiring.

Unsure if we want the (approx $325) Wheel Well Liner - Front/Rear
Washing off the midwest road salt off the underside of the truck (at home) might be harder with these wheel well liners in place…. thoughts?

Running boards - i hear a lot of talk of rusting running boards. Thoughts on aftermarket ones that wont rust (we are in the midwest)?

THIS IS THE TRUCK WE ARE CUSTOM ORDERING:

2020, Ford F-350 , 8’ box-
6.2L V8 gasser, Single Rear Wheel (SRW) 4x4,
Rear Axle Ratio: 4.30 with Electronic Locking
11,4000 GVWR Package
(this GVWR means the tires change to LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires - at least in 2019….)
Camper Package (for sure, as we are getting a camper)
176” wheelbase (the longest possible)
10 speed transmission (new)
Lariat.
Crew cab (5 seater, with front center console)
Skid plates a la carte (not the FX4 package as the FX4 shocks are lousy)
Definitely want to include the Lariat VALUE PACKAGE (about $700) to get: “easy entry/exit memory driver’s seat, ….. power-adjustable pedals with memory, power heated/cooled driver and passenger seats with driver’s side memory, PowerScope® trailer tow mirrors with memory, and Remote Start System.”
Power Equipment Group - should be included in 2020 Lariat. We’ll need to double check. :-)
(Don’t want the $2,000 Tow *Technology* package - we dont need those things as we hate towing and will *never* tow)
we want the Alternator - “Extra Extra Heavy-Duty” (approx $85)
we want the Engine Block Heater (about $100)
we do want the LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps (about $95)
we do want the (2nd) Medium Duty Battery (about $210) - this adds a 2nd battery.
We want the FIXED GLASS rear window. We do NOT want the Power sliding window (unless it is included no charge)
We do want the "Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank” (about $100) but NOT the cheesy FX4 package. (those shocks are lousy)
PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors are supposedly included. We want these for sure.
Tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T
Black Leather interior. (40/console/40 split bench seat)
Yes we want to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support. (may be included in 2020 Lariat)
We will do aftermarket 3rd party floor mats, and keep the stock carpeting.
we want “Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®)” (about $200 (if available - heard rumors they are not available for 2020)
We want the “Universal Garage Door Opener” ($125)
We want the “Upfitter switches” ($165)

For a 2019 - List price at ford.com built this way is basically $62k. (plus tax, etc)

thanks!! :-)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
John: I'm not sure but this might be better posted on a Ford truck or truck camper forum. ....Funny I just searched and found truckcamperadventure.com and see you also posted there!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
John: I'm not sure but this might be better posted on a Ford truck or truck camper forum. ....Funny I just searched and found truckcamperadventure.com and see you also posted there!
Yup - I have posted these questions a few places.

I’m just happy to get info anyplace I can.

And like I said - MANY smart people here

🙂
Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
When the subject of this camper-carrying truck first came up, I had a look at information about the 2020 F-SuperDuty trucks, and participated in the discussion. I would go further, but there wasn't any concrete information to go on, because it was a "future vehicle" without the published detail (including online build tool) of a current production model. The Ford announcement was rushed out with remarkably little information, presumably because GM scheduled a press introduction of their updated 2020 trucks in the same class - also with a new and larger pushrod gas V8 and a 10-speed transmission - so Ford had to make some noise.

Is there detailed information available now?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When the subject of this camper-carrying truck first came up, I had a look at information about the 2020 F-SuperDuty trucks, and participated in the discussion. I would go further, but there wasn't any concrete information to go on, because it was a "future vehicle" without the published detail (including online build tool) of a current production model. The Ford announcement was rushed out with remarkably little information, presumably because GM scheduled a press introduction of their updated 2020 trucks in the same class - also with a new and larger pushrod gas V8 and a 10-speed transmission - so Ford had to make some noise.

Is there detailed information available now?
all ya gotta do is google for it.

here is some of it....

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/08/202...y-order-guide/

and here is the 2020 order guide from Ford

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1565788276
Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I bought a F250 a year or so ago, but I got a 2002 :-p .... digging the simplicity of the 7.3 diesel vs the newer ones, also the lack of digital widgits inside.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
If I was ordering I would do the diesel engine instead of the gas, if keeping this for years it will pay for itself.
Check on a snow plow package if available, on GMC you get HD front suspension, better shocks and 2, 100A alternators and other things included for less $$. Block heater, clearance lamps and dual batteries are included
Wheel liners are great, they keep much of the debris from flying far forward and rearward to hidden spots.
If you camper hangs over the back of the truck the rear camera and BU safety features may not work very well.
You may still want to add air bags to the rear suspension, individual fills to lessen sway in cross winds

Good luck in your quest
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #8

Thanks much TZBrown for all the great thoughts. :-)

We have decided to go Ford (for better or for worse)

And they do options a bit differently - so for us the Ford camper package plus a la carte items are the way to go. No need for the plow package as the items all relate to plowing. We will get the Ford block heater, dual battery etc a la carte.

And

As the diesel costs an extra $9,000 (plus has possibly a higher maintenance cost, due to DEF fluid, sensors, etc) and we are weekend warriors camping - not running every day like a commercial vehicle - then I do not think it would ever pay for itself, in our situation.

The diesel also weighs about 900 lbs more than the gasser engine, so we then lose that 900 lbs in cargo (camper) capacity. We won’t be running at limits, but no need for diesel in our minds.

Nice to have a choice, tho. If I were towing a huge trailer or boat I would want diesel for sure.

Other issue is that we like to camp WAY off the beaten path and in some places there just isn’t diesel for sale. Yes I know it will come with a 48 gallon tank, so tons of range - but I won’t even have to think about range when we are in the middle of New Mexico, on back roads. Been there done that.

Oh and also we now live in the Midwest. Goes to -30 F sometimes. Easier to start a gasser I am told, especially if I forgot to plug it in. ;-)

Best regards,

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
If I was ordering I would do the diesel engine instead of the gas, if keeping this for years it will pay for itself.
Check on a snow plow package if available, on GMC you get HD front suspension, better shocks and 2, 100A alternators and other things included for less $$. Block heater, clearance lamps and dual batteries are included
Wheel liners are great, they keep much of the debris from flying far forward and rearward to hidden spots.
If you camper hangs over the back of the truck the rear camera and BU safety features may not work very well.
You may still want to add air bags to the rear suspension, individual fills to lessen sway in cross winds

Good luck in your quest
Old 09-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Site Team

I've driven gassers so long, I forget to even wait for the diesel glowplug cycle, yet my 7.3 lights right up even on the coldest mornings we get here (which aren't much below 32F).

I looked at all 3 truck brands for several years, looking at used trucks from in the early 2000s. Chevy had the nicest ride when empty, but felt very wallowy when loaded, and the interiors, I dunno, they had too much of that fake glitz plastic chrome thing going on, and way too many fidgetty buttons. Dodge has a nice engine package, but everything else about the truck felt cheap and was way too many broken interior things on the used trucks we looked at. Ford has, I know, a reputation for weak transmissions on their older trucks, but the rest of everything seems rock solid. Don't get a Ford 6.0 or 6.4L diesel, however, those are quite prone to expensive issues.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Well you're not too late to avoid a major mistake. Get a RAM
Old 09-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
all ya gotta do is google for it.

here is some of it....

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/08/202...y-order-guide/

and here is the 2020 order guide from Ford

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1565788276
I've never understood the idea of running a retail business and distributing product information by some backdoor channels but not just publishing it on the retail website.

The TFLTruck article is based entirely on the document posted by the enthusiast site, and that is not Ford, so anything they publish is subject to change and/or corrections; although it's probably close, this might not be the most recent version - it appears to have some internal inconsistencies. It's actually supposed to be restricted to dealers, which just shows that that dealers can't be trusted with information, and that Ford should know that and just openly publish correct information.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Unsure if we want the (approx $500) 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package (4X4) as I need to check with Pop Up Truck Camper manufacturer if we need the One (1) integrated 7-pin connector on driver's side pickup bed wall
I would want the 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package if I were buying a heavy pickup, even though it is intended initially to only carry a camper; however, that's an extraordinarily expensive way to get a box-mounted 7-pin connector.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Camper Package (for sure, as we are getting a camper)
Page 17 says that the Camper Package (order code 471) is generally optional for Lariats, but the availability table on page 22 says that it and the Snowplow/Camper Package are not available on any of the Lariat combinations, if I'm reading the tables correctly.

The description on page 31 says that for an F-350 SRW it would include only one step stiffer front springs, a rear stabilizer bar, and "Slide-in camper certification". The stabilizer bar would be good with the camper, but perhaps something about the Lariat trim level makes it or the front springs (and thus the package) unavailable. They may just not want the ride deterioration due to stiffer front springs on the fancy Lariat trim, and not want the increased rear roll stiffness of the stabilizer bar in an empty truck without the stiffer front for balance.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
As the diesel costs an extra $9,000 (plus has possibly a higher maintenance cost, due to DEF fluid, sensors, etc) and we are weekend warriors camping - not running every day like a commercial vehicle - then I do not think it would ever pay for itself, in our situation.

The diesel also weighs about 900 lbs more than the gasser engine, so we then lose that 900 lbs in cargo (camper) capacity. We won’t be running at limits, but no need for diesel in our minds.
I came to the same conclusion for our motorhome (mechanically very much like other Ford Super Duty vehicles); there was no diesel available on that chassis, but diesel motorhomes of a similar size were much more expensive, and it didn't make sense for us.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Unsure if we want the (approx $1,000) Adaptive Steering System - Thoughts? “At lower speeds, the steering ratio decreases, requiring fewer turns of the steering wheel — and less steering effort. At higher speeds, the steering ratio gradually increases, producing a steering feel that is firmer and more controlled.”
This is sad and/or hilarious, since it is just programming in a control unit that should be available in every vehicle; it is being held back unless you pay the unlock-the-built-in-feature ranson. I would probably want it, and when you're paying over $60K, maybe another thousand doesn't matter?
Old 09-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Unsure if we want the Exterior Backup Alarm. I hear it is as loud as heck, so would annoy neighbors at campsites, but it is a huge truck, and we will have to back out of our driveway, with big hedge up to sidewalk… …. I would never want to hit anyone!
I would hate having that, and would just beep the horn a couple of times before backing if it were a concern to me. We have a tendency to arrive at campsites late, so it would be particularly bad for us.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Any info as to if the LED Headlamps/Taillamps (2019 = $1k option) will be standard on the 2020 Lariat? I hear rumors of YES. :-)
You can probably find a rumour to suit anything you want to hear.
The order document lists "Quad Beam LED Headlamps" as a feature of the Platinum and Limited trims only on page 3, and on page 23 it says they are standard on Platinum and Limited. Page 18 shows them in a package (59Q) which is available on the Lariat, but only with the Lariat Ultimate package (96U).
Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #18

Just to show that you can't believe everything you read...

From the first discussion of this truck:
Quote:
.... i just read that the F350 will *all* come with the new 10 speed transmission... i can't even get the older 6 speed. Oh well... that decision is made for me. ;- J
As it turns out, at least according the order document, the 6-speed is available in various configurations including the F-350 DRW... but not the F-350 SRW. This works out fine, as I understand that the F-350 SRW is the only configuration wanted, and that the 10-speed is desired.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is sad and/or hilarious, since it is just programming in a control unit that should be available in every vehicle; it is being held back unless you pay the unlock-the-built-in-feature ranson. I would probably want it, and when you're paying over $60K, maybe another thousand doesn't matter?
um, Super Duty's have gone to drive-by-wire steering? really? so if you have a electrical power loss, you have no steering at all??

the steering in my 2002 Super Duty is conventional mechanical steering box with a hydraulic booster. I thought the variable assist just changed the amount of power assist with the speed.

hmm, this says its entirely inside the steering wheel, that a motor in the wheel changes the ratio. that suggests the steering shaft is still mechanical, but it also suggests that a truck without the adaptive steering simply won't have that fancy steering wheel.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:32 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I passed on the factory running boards figuring I could add my own, which I did. Put on what I thought was a good brand of black RB's, they rusted out within 2 years. Changed to chrome, still going strong after 5 years.

If you wanted black I'd suggest going with factory, they MAY last.