Should “bullies” be allowed on the Forum - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Can we self appoint ourselves as Moderators?
Certainly not appointing myself as a moderator but pointing out two things:

1. replying on a thread about bullying that you have more firepower isn't the best idea. Nor is continued references to firearms.

2. all members should be aware of the the forum rules and point out situations that aren't acceptable.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

1. replying on a thread about bullying that you have more firepower isn't the best idea. Nor is continued references to firearms.

2. all members should be aware of the the forum rules and point out situations that aren't acceptable.

Ron
I respectfully disagree. Citizen's will point out situations that are unacceptable to them. Not to the General Populace.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
My other post to this thread 'disappeared' the irony doesn't escape me. No pun intended

The problem with bullying behaviour is that it's insidious. Those those that engage in it often don't realize their actions and words are crossing the line from plain ribbing, teasing, scarcasm, satire, etc. Mob mentality is a real thing and I've experienced it here and reported it

Bullies tend to protect one another and when the status quo gets clubby it's tough to turn it around

Based on my private messages, I'm not the only one here who's experienced it
My first response, since starting this thread. My intention was to get the forum membership to think about bullying, and many have chimed in. Thank you all.

I like to say perception is reality. While it may not be true reality, to the person perceiving something in a different way than most others perceive it, it is reality for that person. I say this because an individual posting may respond in the same manner to two individuals and one of them thinks he/she is being bullied, while the other perceives no bullying. And while there may be intentional bullying, it may simply be a poorly stated comment. I will repeat what I said in my original post: Having an opposing opinion and stating it is not in itself bullying, even if it is perceived as bullying, and therefore “reality” for the person who then accuses the other of being a bully. Things might be perceived if members were more careful to include language when disagreeing with and quoting another by stating “with all due respect” or “my opinion/experience differs with yours” or even “sorry, but I respectfully disagree.” And if ribbing or teasing is involved, perhaps “obviously, I am joking.”

One has to remember that even though we all have (or want) fiberglass trailers, they are not the same length or the same model, just as not everyone her is the same sex, same age, or has the same SKIN THICKNESS. In other words, respond to others in the manner in which you would want in getting a response.

My hope is that this thread may lead to people being more kind and more respectful of other forum participants, even if disagreeing. And I would respectfully ask that anyone who perceive that they are being bullied NOT accuse someone else of being a bully. It is counter productive. There is a button on the left side of every thread to report a post you perceive as inappropriate. If it truly is inappropriate, the site team will take action against the offender, either removing the post and in some cases, issue a warning to the offender. And as “injured” as you may feel about any issue, please do not include inflammatory statements when you post. It only leads to potential confrontation.

Finally, as I stated in the opening post, feel free to disagree. I will not be offended.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My first response, since starting this thread. My intention was to get the forum membership to think about bullying, and many have chimed in. Thank you all. I like to say perception is reality. While it may not be true reality, to the person perceiving something in a different way than most others perceive it, it is reality for that person. I say this because an individual posting may respond in the same manner to two individuals and one of them thinks he/she is being bullied, while the other perceives no bullying. And while there may be intentional bullying, it may simply be a poorly stated comment. I will repeat what I said in my original post: Having an opposing opinion and stating it is not in itself bullying, even if it is perceived as bullying, and therefore “reality” for the person who then accuses the other of being a bully. Things might be perceived if members were more careful to include language when disagreeing with and quoting another by stating “with all due respect” or “my opinion/experience differs with yours” or even “sorry, but I respectfully disagree.” And if ribbing or teasing is involved, perhaps “obviously, I am joking.” One has to remember that even though we all have (or want) fiberglass trailers, they are not the same length or the same model, just as not everyone her is the same sex, same age, or has the same SKIN THICKNESS. In other words, respond to others in the manner in which you would want in getting a response.
My hope is that this thread may lead to people being more kind and more respectful of other forum participants, even if disagreeing. And I would respectfully ask that anyone who perceive that they are being bullied NOT accuse someone else of being a bully. It is counter productive. There is a button on the left side of every thread to report a post you perceive as inappropriate. If it truly is inappropriate, the site team will take action against the offender, either removing the post and in some cases, issue a warning to the offender. And as “injured” as you may feel about any issue, please do not include inflammatory statements when you post. It only leads to potential confrontation.

Finally, as I stated in the opening post, feel free to disagree. I will not be offended.
Can you sorta break your post up a bit? More 'paras'? You said you wouldn't be offended.

How do others feel?
Old 09-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I agree 100%. The rules in place are to make the forum an acceptable place for everyone. It clearly states no firearm discussion.

Folks might want to check the forum name. It appears to be about trailers. My preference is having fun. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All right everyone, this thread is becoming a nuisance, if the rules can not be followed, it will be closed.........
Old 09-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Can you sorta break your post up a bit? More 'paras'? You said you wouldn't be offended.

How do others feel?
Done per your request, Mr. Ranger. And thank you for your service!

In terms of composition conventions, paragraphs limited to one main point. In terms of space efficiency, not so good. Admittedly, it was a long post.

Even though I am 53 years from my last high school English class I am, as promised, not offended! When I am not following conventions, I understand it may bother people.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I will not comment on the "bullying". What I am struck by is how many posters are good writers. I am rather jealous. It is refreshing to read the words "allude" and "piqued" used correctly, and general sentence construction, which I recognize but am not always capable of. Just ask my wife on that one! Carry on...
Old 12-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I think how someone feels about something they read or hear depends on who that someone is, we're all different. As others have stated, hard sometimes to put emotion and the feelings you want to portray in writing. We all know some people are just not as personable as others, I don't think that changes when they use their writing skills

A big part of the reason I bought an Escape was this forum so THANKS as always to those that participate in it.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote