Should we keep saying that 'A' word? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Should we keep saying that 'A' word?

I'm sure like me you spent the holidays with family and friends, well one of those for me happens to work as an executive for that 'A' company we all seem to want to buy things from these days. Me being a small business owner I asked him some questions mostly curious to see what his answers would be, many of them his response was I know that but sorry cannot share that info. One thing he did tell me I have to say concerns me and I think we should all think about it next time we just order from this 'A' company. He said that .51 of every 1.00 today spent on the internet is done through them and they still project growth.

Sorry but I don't think any company with this kind of monopoly is good for any of us so if this bothers you like it does me lets try and spread out our internet business.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A company which has only half of a market is, by definition, not a monopoly. The market would likely benefit from more competition, but there certainly is competition; everyone who purchases from them is free to choose another online retailer.

One thing to consider: why does Amazon have such a large market share? They must do something better than most online retailers, or their customers would go to other retailers; are they cheaper, easier to use, easier to find? Simply buying something from another company at higher cost or with less convenience doesn't really accomplish much, in my opinion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One thing to consider: why does Amazon have such a large market share?

Another consideration is after they have captured the market and put all the bricks and mortar stores out of business, will they raise prices so they can finally make money?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I always like to buy local but many times it is just frustrating.

When I wanted to buy my hatches for the trailer I made two phone calls to a local manufacturer with no reply...just my time wasted waiting. I ended up getting twice the quality at a 3rd of the price from Amazon.

I have also had companies not want to sell to me because I am just a person off the street even though I can see the item in a bin behind them. Or they want me to buy 50 of them. Go to Amazon and it is right there for the picking in the quantity I want.

I also live in small city and not everything is available. To get it shipped in by Canada Post is a joke. I always have a list of small items to add to an order to make the $35 free shipping of Amazon.ca.

There are just a whole bunch of electronic stuff I can’t buy in any store in Canada. Radio Shack was long gone before Amazon filled the gap in supply.

Of course Amazon.ca is way more expensive than Amazon.com so I always start with another A company before Amazon. AliExpress generally has the small items I want with free shipping for much less than Amazon.ca.

So I do spread my business around when the locals are uncooperative.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Don’t forget the W word that has had a similar dominance in the brick and mortar for years and the same debate has taken place with them. The W company is making huge strides to improving online sales with certain advantages over the A company. Anyway, competition appears to be live and well. Oh and we have to give an honorable mention to the T company as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Oh and we have to give an honorable mention to the T company as well.
Not in Canada. Target's attempted expansion to Canada was such a complete failure that it's used as a case study in business publications and commerce courses. That just demonstrates that even the big and successful companies can make mistakes, so there is always an opportunity for competitors which make better decisions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One thing to consider: why does Amazon have such a large market share? They must do something better than most online retailers, or their customers would go to other retailers...
I completely agree. I would love to see a whole slew of online retailers who can offer the same prices, selection and speed of delivery that Amazon does. The key to a healthy market isn't to try to regulate them or penalize their success, but to try and outdo them.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #8

So are we now looking at sales on the internet as a product or commodity? I ask that question because here is the definition of a Monopoly:

Monopoly definition, exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

As I mentioned I'm in the wholesale side of office furniture industry and when I talk to dealers especially ones that sell supplies as well easily their biggest problem is Amazon and how they are taking over that market. I wonder how many other COMMODITIES would say that? So sorry that is why I will have to disagree about your definition of a monopoly.

Will admit also been wondering if 'A' has 51% how much does 'W' have? Combine the two I think WOW!

My whole point is I think too many people today just go to 'A' for the convenience and or habit don't even bother to check the price.

Here is what I have learned, I search a product I want by its item number, this of course will give you several choices of where to buy that product, 'A' & 'W' are almost always included in the results you receive as several others. What I have learned is that 90% of the time the other (usually much smaller retailer) will match a price if you ask.

Lots of choices on the internet for good and services but if we all keep buying from just the 'A' and the 'W' when we shop on line those prices you think are so great bet that changes. Just my opinion of course.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While growing up we had Sears and Montgomery Wards who were the retail giants, both are almost gone. But shopping was a hands on experience, something the A word does not allow.
I could spend hours inside the Craftsman tools section, seeing things I never knew existed but once seen I wanted one. The online experience is too focused on knowing what you want.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We both read an interesting book about people that work at Amazon as seasonal employees, and live in RVs. Amazon calls them Camperworkers. Nomadland is the book and it makes us not want to shop at Amazon. Read the book, and get ready to meet the employees in Quartzsite and Ehrenburg and all over the AZ desert at the many rallies this winter.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #11

Lots of you tube videos on workcampers for Amazon as well, some like it some do not. To be honest I'm thinking about trying it sometime just to see what it's like, I even asked the person I know if he could get me one of the better gigs (as I understand most are 24 hours a day and I would not want to do anything but a day shift). All of these jobs are working in one of their LARGE distribution centers and pulling orders. Really is amazing how many people are actually work camping these days, with the cost of housing sky rocketing in many parts of the country and just the ability with technology to be mobile and still work. Look at it this way, when you started your career if you would had the ability to take it on the road would you have?
I also think its funny how much free publicity they got for agreeing to a minimum wage of $15.00 an hour when in most areas they are located camping would be the only way you could possibly afford to live. I mean like two new areas they picked, two of the highest per capita income areas in the US.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Old 01-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Look at it this way, when you started your career if you would had the ability to take it on the road would you have?
No, I didn't even like telecommuting when I could. I worked too hard and too many hours. Maybe it's because I'm not self-disciplined, but without interruptions, I sat too many hours (worked too hard) and didn't just stop after 8-10 hours. IF I was on a roll, I just kept going. Didn't benefit me, I was salaried!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The reason I am not bankrupt (yet) is because I have such a hard time buying stuff, Amazon or not. Much of the time I just can't find what I want. I much prefer holding an item in my hands to see if it will be suitable for my purpose, but stuff I want is hard to find in stores. I find it difficult to shop online as well, because too often the item I receive will be wrong size / shape / color / some other variable that I forgot about when ordering.

Also, the ten miles I live from the nearest town seem to be an insurmountable obstacle for shipping companies when it comes to timely delivery. I can forget about overnight shipping, but fortunately it's rare that I need something so quickly.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Look at it this way, when you started your career if you would had the ability to take it on the road would you have?
Steve

Absolutely. But not in a warehouse; ideally I'd telecommute with as little face-to-face contact as possible. I've noticed that there is a lot of "down time" on my long trips, ideal for an editing / programming job.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19'
We live a few miles from an Amazon warehouse. Expectations of workers are superhuman in order for products to get out fast and accurate. My Dad wrote about his life and had it printed in hardback for the family. Amazon got a hold of it and as a test, I ordered a copy and it arrived in one day. Come to find out Amazon also printed a few copies just in case they have to ship out in a hurry. I'm sure there are more of his books sitting on the shelf. No one but us would be interested. It's crazy...

Lorna
Lornanaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
All of these jobs are working in one of their LARGE distribution centers and pulling orders. Really is amazing how many people are actually work camping these days,

There's a KOA across from an Amazon distribution center/warehouse. It used to have lots of empty spots during the winter, but since the center has gone in, it's been wadded full. First it was workers putting the thing up. Now it's workers hired for the Christmas season.

I try to buy local when I can, but gotta admit, getting stuff from Amazon is quite easy and convenient. I do buy quite a few of my crafting items off Amazon, but not all.

One thing that can be helpful to employees of Amazon (according to some articles I've read) is to NOT click on the next day or 2 day shipping, if you absolutely don't need it that soon.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #17

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Don’t forget the W word that has had a similar dominance in the brick and mortar for years and the same debate has taken place with them. The W company is making huge strides to improving online sales with certain advantages over the A company. Anyway, competition appears to be live and well. Oh and we have to give an honorable mention to the T company as well.
Wal*Mart has not completely gone away from brick and mortar stores. They built a SuperCenter in Ridgecrest, Ca last year and a SuperCenter is under construction here in Tehachapi as I type, due to open this summer.

On the other hand, Amazon is building a new distribution center in Bakersfield.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Amazon needs to improve their shipping service and deliver all this stuff straight to the landfill - cardboard, bubble wrap, packing tape and the contents of the box. Would save us all a lot of time.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
IKEA was planning to build a large store about 4 miles from me but that is on hold for now. Their on-line sales is doing so well that they may change to small stores which only sell the smaller impulse items for carry out, but allow on-line ordering and delivery within hours of the order. W, COSTCO, Home Depot, Lowes, and many other retailers are adding on-line ordering so A doesn't seem to have a long term advantage. Ten years from now A may be another K Mart, although if they can continue to sucker big cities like NYC into giving them billions$$$ then who knows!
A big benefit Amazon has had is Federal Post Office contracts with China which allows essentially free delivery in the US for the very low and subsidized costs of using the Chinese postal system. Those benefits to Amazon are changing.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Among my favorite shopping is done online, but free Ship To Store. I use it frequently for L, HD and W. It works for the retailer too, because often the pick up location is at the back of the store and I find something to buy as I walking through the store. That wouldn't happen if I didn't step foot in the store.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote