The greatest football game ever played.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The greatest football game ever played....

Growing up in Baltimore I often attended the Colt football games. But back then, there as no NFL nor unions, just men playing football, some playing both defense and offense in the same game. Their pay was mediocre and the coach Weeb Ewbank
told the players to use their football money and start a business. Gino Marchetti and Alan (The Horse) Ameche both started fast food restaurants in and around Baltimore. John Unitas started a restaurant, "The Golden Arm" in Towson, Md and it was not uncommon to see him eat there with his family. Bill Pellington operated a liquor store and would wait on you himself. This was before the football organizations you have today, NFL and the players now have pensions. The greatest game played will not be today, but occurred in in 1958, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_N...mpionship_Game
Enjoy This Day in Football: "The Greatest Game Ever Played" - NFL Videos
Old 02-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've seen so many clips of that 1958 championship that I feel like I saw the whole thing. I think it was a good game, but I also think a certain mythos has been built up about it over the years. I think when they call it the greatest ever, they often mean greatest in terms of boosting the popularity of the NFL, since it was the first sudden death game. I've seen plenty of games that were more exciting, so for me it was great, but not necessarily the greatest ever.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #3

As a 12 year old, getting to watch the Colts in person at Memorial Stadium and see them in real life (some went to my church) and then watching them on a b/w 19" tv at home, it was really exciting.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Then Weeb went to the Jets, and the rest is history....
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

Don't remind me of B'way Joe..... probably the saddest day until the Colts left town Jan 1984.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Agreed, when the Colts sneaked away in the dead of night for Indiana, no single issue better illustrates better the crass, phony, false allegiance pro sports has to its loyal fans.... except, of course, when the Dodgers and Giants left NYC.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Agreed, when the Colts sneaked away in the dead of night for Indiana, no single issue better illustrates better the crass, phony, false allegiance pro sports has to its loyal fans.... except, of course, when the Dodgers and Giants left NYC.
The game has certainly changed. A friend of mine is in Houston for the Super Bowl. They have seats in the upper deck - the "nosebleed" section. Cost? About $2300 per ticket. No thank you.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Growing up in Baltimore I often attended the Colt football games. But back then, there as no NFL nor unions, just men playing football, some playing both defense and offense in the same game. Their pay was mediocre and the coach Weeb Ewbank
told the players to use their football money and start a business. Gino Marchetti and Alan (The Horse) Ameche both started fast food restaurants in and around Baltimore. John Unitas started a restaurant, "The Golden Arm" in Towson, Md and it was not uncommon to see him eat there with his family. Bill Pellington operated a liquor store and would wait on you himself. This was before the football organizations you have today, NFL and the players now have pensions. The greatest game played will not be today, but occurred in in 1958, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_N...mpionship_Game
Enjoy This Day in Football: "The Greatest Game Ever Played" - NFL Videos
I would have to say that I believe February 5, 2017, redefined what is "The Greatest Game Ever Played (in the NFL)" and I am old enough to have watched both of them. As much as I liked Johnny U, I believe he has been greatly upstaged. And the Associated Press sports writers seem to have gotten it wrong once again when they selected the 3rd guy taken in the NFL draft from Boston College rather than the sixth round pick from Michigan as 2017's MVP. Then again, these same sports writers will elevate Ohio State's.....excuse me, THE Ohio State University to the top three or four when the upcoming college football season rankings are released, as they do every year, even though in recent years OSU generally hasn't fared well when they had to play someone outside of the Big Ten.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would have to say that I believe February 5, 2017, redefined what is "The Greatest Game Ever Played (in the NFL)" and I am old enough to have watched both of them. As much as I liked Johnny U, I believe he has been greatly upstaged. And the Associated Press sports writers seem to have gotten it wrong once again when they selected the 3rd guy taken in the NFL draft from Boston College rather than the sixth round pick from Michigan as 2017's MVP. Then again, these same sports writers will elevate Ohio State's.....excuse me, THE Ohio State University to the top three or four when the upcoming college football season rankings are released, as they do every year, even though in recent years OSU generally hasn't fared well when they had to play someone outside of the Big Ten.
We watched our first football game ever and for a first what a exciting game . Couldn't believe the announcers were calling it finished for the New England Patriots ,when the 3 rd quarter wasn't even over . What a comeback . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Team

I'm gonna say the game last night is right up there for greatest games - or at least, greatest comebacks. Entertaining.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi All
If anyone out there would have had the guts to put $ 500 straight up on the Buckeyes for as long as they have been playing football, you'd be up $280,000. You could take that American money and buy 100 new 19 Escapes like Tammy advertised today. That 2014 season wasn't too bad and wasn't that long ago. That 2014 National. Championship trophy looks nice along side the others out in Columbus. Most Universities plant a tree for an All American, Ohio State has a grove. Who
are Ezekiel Elliot and Joey Bosa? I think I saw them on the tv the other night.
GO BUCKS!!!
Iowa Dave and Rita, parents of two very gainfully employed graduates of The Ohio State University
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi All
If anyone out there would have had the guts to put $ 500 straight up on the Buckeyes for as long as they have been playing football, you'd be up $280,000. You could take that American money and buy 100 new 19 Escapes like Tammy advertised today. That 2014 season wasn't too bad and wasn't that long ago. That 2014 National. Championship trophy looks nice along side the others out in Columbus. Most Universities plant a tree for an All American, Ohio State has a grove. Who
are Ezekiel Elliot and Joey Bosa? I think I saw them on the tv the other night.
GO BUCKS!!!
Iowa Dave and Rita, parents of two very gainfully employed graduates of The Ohio State University
It is my opinion that if OSU had to play in the ACC or the SEC week after week, they would be lucky to have a winning record. Academically, OSU is a great university. But in recent years, OSU football frequently (with an occasional exception) goes undefeated or has one loss in the Big 10, then gets their butts kicked in whatever bowl game they play. Had I had the guts to put $500 straight up on OSU's post season games over the last 10 years, just where would I be? What is their all time win/loss record in bowl games?
And Notre Dame is another team that plays a rather weak schedule but gets undue acclaim from the sports writers when they successfully go undefeated beating up on teams like Navy and Air Force. No offense intended; I am just calling it as I see it.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Wooooaa, it's an OSU football debate -- this is better than one on LT vs ST tires any day....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, what is the purpose of higher education? To get your brains rattled?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, what is the purpose of higher education? To get your brains rattled?
Good question, Mr. Baglo!
I think that it's somewhat accepted that many (but not all, however) of the football players at the "football powerhouse" colleges/universities in the US, if they even finish their "education" major in basket weaving, toothpick design, or playground etiquette. Some even manage to earn a minor in "pharmaceutical" usage or felony commission. They manage to do all this using scholarship money that could have been spent on someone who will actually do something beneficial for all humanity or for the benefit of our planet.
Are the previously mentioned fields of endeavor really higher education?
Again, a disclaimer.....I call it as I see it. So let me paraphrase Donna: YOMV (with O standing for OPINION in case this thread is being followed by some of the "scholars" mentioned above who are actually literate enough to read.
And yes, I realize I am over-exaggerating a bit.