The Open Road - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
One of our favorite memories is of 95 between Beatty and Goldfield NV. There is a stretch of road about 40 miles long that is absolutely straight. One afternoon we were about halfway when it was time to stop. Found an NDOT barrow pit just off the road, pulled in and set up the trailer. The rest of the afternoon we just sat under the awning in our camp chairs, beer in hand, and waved to travelers as they went by. Many honks and waves. Could see them coming in either direction for about 20 miles, though probably only 10 or so all afternoon. Very quiet night.
The first time I saw the Goldfield to Beatty NV stretch of road I was in awe. On my trip south in a few weeks I hope to take hwy 93 out of Twin Falls through NV. I drove that once years ago and I've wanted to do so again. Depends on the weather though.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 21c
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: JeffryG... I'm happy for you on the "Open road". We'd just like an "Open border"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
We've got one you can have.
busterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 21c
Extraterrestrial Highway

The stretch that impressed me was NV 375 through Rachel, NV. From the time we crested Tempiute Mountains west bound until we hit Black Top on the other side of the valley we traveled 17 straight miles of nothing but sand and rocks.
That night we set up camp near Black Top where we could see the valley. Just after sunset, on the extraterrestrial Hwy mine you, we saw a sting of lights in the sky moving east, stretching from the western horizon to about half way across the valley. They disappeared one by one at the same spot. Talk about freaky. We had no idea what to make of it and we weren't going to Rachel to ask if they saw it too, They might not have wanted witnesses.
A few days later the incident was solved. I read a news feed where Elon Musk's Starlink had passed overhead and the lights we saw were a reflection of the sun that disappeared when they went over the horizon.
busterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
That was awesome to see. They passed over our house here in Texas.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
they passed over my house when i was in the hot tub really strange looking i had to google it thought it was a ET.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbean View Post
A few days later the incident was solved. I read a news feed where Elon Musk's Starlink had passed overhead and the lights we saw were a reflection of the sun that disappeared when they went over the horizon.
That's a group of SpaceX's Starlink satellites - they're launched 60 at a time on one rocket - while they were still close together; they separate over time to their destination orbits. They're still visible under the same conditions (the right angles between the sun, the satellite, and the viewer) after separation, but they're less noticeable individually.

About 1800 Starlink satellites have been placed in orbit, in 30 rocket launches.

The International Space Station is similarly visible, but much brighter due to its far greater size, and of course it's alone.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Grew up in flat farming country 90 miles west of Minneapolis. In the summer there was nothing to do but ride bike, play baseball, detassel corn, or pick weeds out of bean fields. It's on the 212 Yellowstone Trail, and all summer families would stop at Washacheck's gas station bragging about going to Yellowstone.

Went to college 70 miles away in Mankato. Between my sophomore and junior year a friend got a wrestling scholarship at University of New Mexico, in Albuquerque. Another friend rode with Tim down to Albuquerque and from there we hitch hiked back home. Everything changed! All I wanted to do was travel. Needless to say the next summer my hitch hike friend and I drove to Yellowstone, and every year I go somewhere.

The best thing I did was marry a great lady, originally from Linz, Austria, who loves to travel, either by bike or pulling our camper with the bikes. We go visit her cousins and bike Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic when we can.

Off to see Deutschland!

Can't wait for the next adventure with Terry.

Enjoy,

Perry
looking good Perry
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote