The Open Road - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
The Open Road

A few years ago I happened to take a work trip to the high desert in Oregon. I'd never been, and when I stepped off the plane in Redmond I literally could smell the desert. It was spicy, and nice.

This was one of many trips here and there. I stayed at McMenamins in Bend a couple nights an had a wild time. I've been all over, eventually.

Anyway, I was thinking about all this and this one shot I took from that 2017 trip in Oregon. Here I was, 80,000 lbs and grinding up a 6% grade at 28 mph and this shot was pretty to me. I feel like these kinds of moments are some part of what we all look for when we are out on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg   unnamed2.jpg  
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Big rig

Ever read the book "The Long Haul" by Finn Murphy?
Good book and fellow.
I am on the road now, just off of I65, in Southern Indiana, camping but well within earshot of the roar of that river of traffic.
The road is long and goes on forever.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I spend a lot of time driving back and forth through Nevada towing the Escape on Highway 50, which is a great example of Open Road.
Attached Thumbnails
P1060830-edit.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I spend a lot of time driving back and forth through Nevada towing the Escape on Highway 50, which is a great example of Open Road.
That sure is, and it's a lot of what I was thinking of with this thread. A lot of travel is about destination. We think about great spots, like a national park or scenic area. But sometimes out on the open roads I'm struck by how pretty a place is that's basically just the middle of nowhere.

One time I visited Emporia Kansas on business. Now Kansas is noplace I think of as a destination, but driving out west of the city I was struck by how pretty the low, rolling hills of that region are.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
No USA today!!!

Hi: JeffryG... I'm happy for you on the "Open road". We'd just like an "Open border"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Open road kinship

As I read this thread this morning I felt a strong feeling of kinship with the members here. Never have I felt part of such a large group of people I've never met, never directly spoke to. In my later teens and early 20's, I spent time in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota, two summers in Yellowstone National Park, and hitchhiked from Minnesota to Texas, Wyoming to Chelan, Washington and back to Minnesota. Weekends in my 30's we're spent on the Superior Hiking Trail along the north shore of Lake Superior. After a 27 year career in corrections/probation I hit the open road for 10 months/90,000 miles, as an over the road trucker with lots of trips from Minnesota to the PNW. Today, a few years from retirement I stumbled upon ETI while searching for ways to explore North America again. While learning about ETI products, owner modifications, problems and travels, I've discovered a group of like minded individuals, souls who feel the pull of the road, the beauty of the land and skies. Many of you also share the joy of designing, tinkering, building and improving the means of travel and more importantly, joyfully sharing your ideas and skills with anyone interested. A huge "THANK YOU" to those who keep this forum running and those that contribute.
Clearwater Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
WE all are glad you decided to join us Chris.......
Old 10-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
One of our favorite memories is of 95 between Beatty and Goldfield NV. There is a stretch of road about 40 miles long that is absolutely straight. One afternoon we were about halfway when it was time to stop. Found an NDOT barrow pit just off the road, pulled in and set up the trailer. The rest of the afternoon we just sat under the awning in our camp chairs, beer in hand, and waved to travelers as they went by. Many honks and waves. Could see them coming in either direction for about 20 miles, though probably only 10 or so all afternoon. Very quiet night.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
That sure is, and it's a lot of what I was thinking of with this thread. A lot of travel is about destination. We think about great spots, like a national park or scenic area. But sometimes out on the open roads I'm struck by how pretty a place is that's basically just the middle of nowhere.

One time I visited Emporia Kansas on business. Now Kansas is noplace I think of as a destination, but driving out west of the city I was struck by how pretty the low, rolling hills of that region are.
One of the parks I worked during my NPS career was Tall Grass Prairie. Just beautiful.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #10

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
On the road again

Lonely road in 1961 I confirmed that, I hitch hiked across Nevada on 50 in the night, cars were few and far between.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #11

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
A few years back on our bike in Southeast Colorado or Southwest Kansas.

We didn't see a human for what seemed like hours.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0210.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
open road on a bike

Cycling across Canada, an open road beside the open water. Am open road on a bicycle takes on a whole different meaningClick image for larger version

Name:	EB6E1ACD-A6AF-4673-89E0-852856BD9EFB.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	58813
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
Quote:
A few years ago I happened to take a work trip to the high desert in Oregon.

I feel like these kinds of moments are some part of what we all look for when we are out on the road.

Agreed. There's something about an open road in the high desert. The feeling you get is hard to capture on film but it's real.

To think this where settlers headed west in their covered wagons. Now we're pulling trailers while listening to music over satellites ...
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC09138x16.jpg  
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ah, Utah. Outside Salt Lake City.
Attached Thumbnails
Utah01.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #15

This thread is fun. It's rare to have a picture of yourself out on the open road. I was looking at I set my camera up on a remote and took this one out in the desert. It's a driving selfie (thus, the one handed control which I don't usually do.)
Attached Thumbnails
JGG03163.jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
This thread is fun. It's rare to have a picture of yourself out on the open road. I was looking at I set my camera up on a remote and took this one out in the desert. It's a driving selfie (thus, the one handed control which I don't usually do.)
What are you driving? Looks comfortable.....
Old 10-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What are you driving? Looks comfortable.....

That was a 2019 International LT. That trip included a benchmarking activity. So of course I'd have to say it was a miserable truck since it's made by a competitor.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #18

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
open road

Our son who will be joining us in Colorado as he goes to pick up his new very little trailer normally drives big brown rigs of all years and manufactures really likes the old, not too old but very high miles Mack trucks. He now has a Ford 2.7 that he really likes but he keeps right on about my Ram is really nice, maybe trying to make me feel good.
We are just about ready to leave for Flagstaff, Moab and then Grand Junction for a week for a reunion that was postponed from last year, it maybe the last one, too many people aren't returning.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Happy traveling! We just got back from Grand Canyon- wonderful time of year to be there.
Karen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Grew up in flat farming country 90 miles west of Minneapolis. In the summer there was nothing to do but ride bike, play baseball, detassel corn, or pick weeds out of bean fields. It's on the 212 Yellowstone Trail, and all summer families would stop at Washacheck's gas station bragging about going to Yellowstone.

Went to college 70 miles away in Mankato. Between my sophomore and junior year a friend got a wrestling scholarship at University of New Mexico, in Albuquerque. Another friend rode with Tim down to Albuquerque and from there we hitch hiked back home. Everything changed! All I wanted to do was travel. Needless to say the next summer my hitch hike friend and I drove to Yellowstone, and every year I go somewhere.

The best thing I did was marry a great lady, originally from Linz, Austria, who loves to travel, either by bike or pulling our camper with the bikes. We go visit her cousins and bike Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic when we can.

Off to see Deutschland!

Can't wait for the next adventure with Terry.

Enjoy,

Perry