The Power of Rumor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The Power of Rumor

There's been alot made of the phrase "fake news" lately. Seems people like to use the phrase whenever they disagree with the other "side", regardless of the reputability of the source.

But my observation has nothing to do with that - rather, it has to do with what happens when the news truly is fake.

Someone (or a group of someones) started a rumor that there were gas shortages here in Texas due to Hurricane Harvey. It was not true at all, but it spread like wildfire, propagated by people who think Facebook is a reliable source of facts.

Now, for almost a week, it's almost impossible to find gas. A "shortage" was created where none existed, made worse by panic. We've seen lines of 200 and 300 vehicles at gas stations, traffic snarled, tempers flaring, actual fights, arrests, hoarding, folks in pickup trucks with steel or plastic drums to fill, etc.

About 75% of stations are out of gas, even though they are being resupplied daily, and the ones that are open mean waiting in line for several hours and hoping they don't run dry before you get to the pump. All of it caused by a lie, a rumor, propagated by social media.

Sometimes I despair for the future of our society, considering how many stupid people live in it.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Living in New England, we get that to a small degree every time there is a chance of snow. The fake weather reports drive everyone to gas stations and grocery stores to stock up on all the things they won't be able to live without for the 4 hours it takes to clear the snow.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Too much information, be it true or false, we are inundated with television and texts 24/7 nowadays. I remember not knowing who became president until reading about it in the paper the next morning. People are getting used to having the moon glow on their faces from staring at screens all day.
Twenty years from now they will declare it hazardous to your health!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Well put
And as our scoutmaster said many times "You can't fix stupid"
Dave
Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Living in NW Wisconsin we have a similar problem everytime they predict a large snowfall or blizzard . The local liquor / food outlets are packed with people stockpiling beer and frozen pizzas.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Too much information, be it true or false, we are inundated with television and texts 24/7 nowadays. I remember not knowing who became president until reading about it in the paper the next morning. People are getting used to having the moon glow on their faces from staring at screens all day.
I think you're on to something there Jim. Just too much information, and much of it false.

We like watching the shows like Edge of Alaska and Life Below Zero. In one recent episode (don't recall which show), this fellow was chopping wood and remarking to the cameraman that he didn't know who the President was, and didn't care. What he cared about was having enough Salmon to feed his dogs, whether or not he could find the Caribou, and enough wood to make it through the winter. This was not a man influenced at all by other people's opinion, or rumor, or world events. He was influenced by basic realities. I admired that tremendously.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
On the other hand there was Hurricane Sandy and if you hadn't put in enough water and ice and other supplies you were really out of luck. We had no electricity for two days -- and our sons and daughter had to come live with us because they didn't have electricity for over a week. Only through luck -- not good planning -- I had a freezer full of food for us and was able to get some ice from the convenience store where everything was melting so they were giving it away. Everything stayed cold. Fortunately we have a gas stove so we could cook. What is really silly to me is that the oven on a gas stove and the heater on a gas furnace rely on electricity. Fortunately it didn't get cold while we lost electricity and we could boil water.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
On the third hand, we were commenting this morning that before the era of electricity and supermarkets people had life skills that allowed them to survive. But we've built our cities and towns in such a way that people are dependent on the wires of electricity and the automatic delivery of fuel and water.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Living in NW Wisconsin we have a similar problem everytime they predict a large snowfall or blizzard . The local liquor / food outlets are packed with people stockpiling beer and frozen pizzas.
And that's a problem?
You guys seem to be complaining that the media keeps predicting things that come true. Whose fault is that?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And that's a problem?
You guys seem to be complaining that the media keeps predicting things that come true. Whose fault is that?
That aside, my post had more to do with how easily a rumor or false information can spread, and the real problems it can cause.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
On the other hand there was Hurricane Sandy and if you hadn't put in enough water and ice and other supplies you were really out of luck. We had no electricity for two days -- and our sons and daughter had to come live with us because they didn't have electricity for over a week. Only through luck -- not good planning -- I had a freezer full of food for us and was able to get some ice from the convenience store where everything was melting so they were giving it away. Everything stayed cold. Fortunately we have a gas stove so we could cook. What is really silly to me is that the oven on a gas stove and the heater on a gas furnace rely on electricity. Fortunately it didn't get cold while we lost electricity and we could boil water.
Hi Ruthe . What we've did after the big earthquake ,because the gas had to be off due to fires , was we all were camping in the driveway . Using the propane gas barbucue and camp stoves .Yup most of the stores just gave away perishables . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

Beer and pizza , I like that.
In New England bread and milk, another French toast storm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Sounds good Steve ! Really like the pizza ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
And that's a problem?

Lived in CT for most of my 67 years. Never saw a tornado, don't know anyone that has been hurt by one, yet it seems like every thunderstorm we have (and we get lots of them) the weatherman gets my wife so worried she thinks maybe we should head for the basement. It seems to me the media today is more about ratings than the news.
Just my 2 cents....

Old 09-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:

Now I just make sure the fresh water tank is full and my propane is full. If the trailer is still there I'm good for at least a week.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
And that's a problem?
My point was that the last time we had a heavy snowfall (14")
everyone went into panic mode . The roads were cleared by 8AM on the morning after the storm. There was no reason to panic .
I guess it's just human nature to look for the worst and react accordingly.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've lived in Oregon my entire adult life. The weather is changing! We never had any tornadoes until two years ago, now we've had at least a half-dozen that were documented and did damage (no lives lost). Portland very seldom got snow, last winter we were hit with four major storms (for our area). Portland isn't flat and we don't have any snow removal equipment to speak of. I mean rain doesn't need to be scooped away! Who knows what this next winter may bring? IF the weather casters predict a severe weather system may be coming, I'll get prepared for the French Toast storm. I suffered last year because I didn't.

In the meantime, it's supposed to hit 101 today in Portland, we haven't had any rain in nearly two months. The air is smokey and it stinks from all the wild fires. All I can say, is be self-reliant, be adaptable and be prepared...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Before I got my whole house stand by generator (a 15K natural gas), I ran my gas boiler (essentially the circulation pump & electronics & hot water) on a 250 watt inverter clipped to my van's battery. I added a double pole, double throw switch to go between the power cord for the inverter & the standard household wiring.

I didn't run it full time since my main source of heat was a wood stove, but is was nice to be able to take showers, do dishes, etc.

We have been without electricity for as long as one week, although the usual winter only has a couple of one day outages. I'm the 2nd to the last house at the end of the utility's run, so we are often the last to get power restored.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
I like the irony of needing a generator to keep the freezer running when it is 20 degrees outside.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Twenty years from now they will declare it hazardous to your health!
Just unplug! We got no cable, no antenna, 99% of whats on TV is garbage anyways. We got Netflix, dvd's if we want, get our news from radio. No Facebook, no twitter, no smartphone, its great. Gets rid of a lot of stress and Bills and we spend much more time out of doors. We do have internet and I-pads its all we need.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Car show | Aurora »