Thinking of moving........ - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I hadn’t heard that term till I worked for the forest service. We took a “Show Me” tour of the district on the last day of safety training and a couple full timers imparted a lot of hard earned wisdom regarding spending time in the woods. Widow makers, cat face, barber chair, hoot owling, pumper chance, cat skinner, gypo outfit, corks, were all new terms to us eastern boys. Back at Iowa State in the Fall, you were readily accepted into the “forestry fraternity” if you casually dropped those kind of terms in a conversation.
We are a few “bull Trout” and Fools hens that summer. I never forgot how patient and accepting those old guys (about 35 years old) were with the “young bucks”. All you had to do was work. Lost 35 or 40 lbs that summer. Gained a lifetime of memories.
Here are a few logging terms from Buzz Martin

Iowa Dave
Old 03-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
What's ideal to someone is not ideal to someone else.
Before I moved from Cincinnati area to Southeastern Nevada, I put together a spreadsheet with criteria of MY ideal retirement location. Some of the criteria were:
no State income tax, no snow, no humidity, no tornadoes/hurricanes, no bugs (specifically mosquitoes), a +55 restricted community, little to no crime, mild winters, etc.

As can be seen from my criteria it was easy to eliminate many States. Once we decided on Nevada we had to decide where in Nevada. The Northern part of the state was ruled out because it snows there, and the winters aren't mild. That left the Southern part of Nevada. The crime in Las Vegas is terrible, as is the traffic, and at some point Lake Mead (Las Vegas' water supply) will be dry. We ended up in Mesquite, Nevada. All of our criteria were met.
You nailed it with your first sentence. Personally, I would not want the summer heat of Mesquite, and the dry air would aggravate my dry eyes. I'm glad you like it, though. Different strokes...

My idea of 'moving' is packing up and leaving the current campsite for an even better one.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is worth it. You have to skip ads first.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
We moved from upstate NY to Eastern TN due to our NY property taxes, they were bankrupting us. It costs only about 75% as much to live in TN as NY. No state income tax or tax on retirement income. Our property here is worth a minimum of twice our NY one, but the taxes are 1/9th a much. It took us several years to be able to build here, as it took over 4 years to sell the NY property, at a heck of a loss at that.

The difference here is that TN is very conservative fiscally and seemingly has less corruption. The NY winters were not a factor, we could live with them. (It snows here too.) I will freely admit TN is not perfect, we have our complaints, but at least we can survive financially.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
No matter where you are, there you at.
D.l. Menard the Cajun Hank Williams
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
There's just a lot more than lower taxes. North Dakota has low taxes and 60° below zero in winter. You're looking for a compromise between quality of life, competent medical care, and acceptable whether. Florida has hurricanes tornadoes and humidity. Texas has tornadoes hurricanes freezing storms and high humidity and heat. Arizona has heat, Washington has rain. Las Vegas has heat, heat, and more heat. It's a compromise.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #27

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have friends around the country who live in similar size and styles of homes. They live on tiny lots in densely populated areas while I live in a sparsely populated rural area. Although their home prices are twice mine they pay nearly 5 times the real estate tax I pay.

As my father used to say, home prices and taxes are relative to the number of cockroaches you need to keep away.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:16 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ya but does your your home town, city or county have its own song of dedication? I worked with the Municipal band for many years, delivering the portable stage, making sure the electricity was ready to go and scheduling their summer concert series. They were very gracious people, classy and friendly.
“No matter where I roam, I still will call Cedar Rapids my home” never could hit those high notes though and for that I’m grateful.

https://tr-tr.facebook.com/CRMuniBan...0163046389885/.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and lets not forget good medical facilities, I live within walking distance of a hospital, something I did not like when I moved here 15 years ago but now thankful it is so close.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Children and grand children.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, relatives will become your support group if need arises...
Old 04-09-2024, 02:56 AM   #32

Trailer: Gulf Stream Conquest Travel Trailer 2013
We moved several times. The last one was inside NY. But it was the first time everything was fast and easy because we found great Brooklyn Movers who did almost everything for us. I know a lot of people decide to move to other places due to high taxes, but we both have good job positions, and children like their school. As they say, life will show.
Jacob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:14 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
We are in the process of researching places to move in retirement. We live in the fort lauderdale area and see no reason to stay here , the overcrowding, the congested streets , our property taxes rising every year and homeowners insurance going through the roof ( pun intended) . It's actually cheaper to move to some states that have a state income with lower property taxes and homeowners insurance. We leave on a 6week trip next Monday to start looking at areas that fit our wants for retirement. Anyone living in the Greenville/Anderson/Seneca South Carolina area on here have any insight for us . We would like to be physically situated a few hours from the ocean and mountains so that spur of the moment camping trips would be easy . Also a good interste highway connection to make going on long trips out west and north (85 & 40 )
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:41 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Having just been through a relocation process, I can say without a doubt that it doesn’t get easier the older you get no matter how little stuff you think you have. FWIW, we just moved to Idaho. So far so good but we haven’t spent a full winter here yet!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:07 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
We are in the process of researching places to move in retirement. We live in the fort lauderdale area and see no reason to stay here , the overcrowding, the congested streets , our property taxes rising every year and homeowners insurance going through the roof ( pun intended) . It's actually cheaper to move to some states that have a state income with lower property taxes and homeowners insurance. We leave on a 6week trip next Monday to start looking at areas that fit our wants for retirement. Anyone living in the Greenville/Anderson/Seneca South Carolina area on here have any insight for us . We would like to be physically situated a few hours from the ocean and mountains so that spur of the moment camping trips would be easy . Also a good interste highway connection to make going on long trips out west and north (85 & 40 )
I moved back "home" from working in California for 27 years. Insurance for my car was less than half. (In fact, a new 2012 was half what the 2000 had been in Fresno, same car.) Taxes essentially the same but would have gone up if I'd moved elsewhere in California due to prop 13. Homeowners was about the same. Electricity and water went way down. No state income tax but slightly higher sales tax. (And charged on services, not just goods.) But the real benefit was living in a much nicer area and more importantly, where I wanted to be. I'd love to see a study on which meant more to retirees- cost of living vs quality of life (and I know cost of living affects quality of life so really the question would be did they move to where they preferred to be vs. those who moved there for cost of living?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:31 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here are a few logging terms from Buzz Martin
You're the first one I've met who knew of Buzz Martin, The Singing Logger. I have that CD, and I've played it on the air.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:40 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Children and grand children.
Yep, I wouldn't mind getting out of Taxachusetts, We're touring at the moment in Arizona (no trailer, though), and I find this amazing land of Sedona mighty appealing. But we've got family close by up north, seven grandkids, and a pretty nice river about 80 yards away, so I reckon we're staying there.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:17 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I am building on 160 acres of paradise in the Lower Ozarks of MO. The second largest county in size and the poorest county in MO with less than 8,000 in population. It’s also 75% public land.

My real estate taxes have been around $1 an acre but that should change significantly when the house is done. The drawbacks are limited access to healthcare and organic groceries but the advantages with adventures in nature are priceless. And it’s a good central location for travel.

Just spent eclipse totality camping there with Iowa Dave, Rita, Eric, and Mary. I’ve been trying to do a post on that but will have to wait for better cell service/internet!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote