Thinking of moving........ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thinking of moving........

If you are, here is a list of retirement friendly states to consider in making your decision.....https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/inf...mu41%2b8r4M%3d
Old 03-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Thinking of moving?

Naw............for certain. With taxes, you tend to get what you pay for. Chasing the dollar now is like chasing your tail.
Plus...I just moved.....all of 5 miles. Moving is good for downsizing of stuff, that's for certain too.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Texas has no state income tax, but has semi-onerous property tax and sales tax on nonfood items. It aint free. I've been around, here's the deal- States need money to operate. They raise it in one way or another. You will probably spend more trying live a life avoiding all taxes, than realizing the beast must be fed.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When some states lower or maintain lower taxes and other government costs ,
then necessary income or buying power falls. Next comes deferred maintenance, staff reduced in DOT maintenance and emergency crews, fewer game wardens, less upkeep in state parks etc. Next thing you know, infrastructure is in terrible shape.

When I arrive at a state park I’ve never been been to, the first thing I look at in the campground is the condition of the big trees. A ten thousand pound cottonwood limb in a windstorm will kill you dead. That’s deferred maintenance that’s more serious than a chuckhole in the road or a leaky roof in the shower house.

Like the old truck driving song says “there ain’t no easy run”. And, It costs money to go racin’.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
And a listing of "Retirement Friendly" that doesn't tell the whole story can be deceiving.

In my case, as a retired NY state employee, my pension is not taxed even though it is a 403B through TIAA/CREF. NY does not tax SS income. NY pays my entire medical insurance. My school taxes are reduced by almost half because on my age & the Star program, and my property taxes are reduced by 1/3 because I'm a Viet Nam combat veteran.

It would be difficult to find a state to move to that would save me more...
Old 03-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Another item to look at is medical facilities. Deferred taxes are less important than poor lifestyle due to poor medical care. I happen to live in an area that people like to live in, including doctors. With lots of aging people, there is good demand for medical providers. We’re all getting older!
Old 03-05-2022, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Another item to look at is medical facilities. Deferred taxes are less important than poor lifestyle due to poor medical care. I happen to live in an area that people like to live in, including doctors. With lots of aging people, there is good demand for medical providers. We’re all getting older!
I can walk to the hospital..........my area was built for those working at the hospital and they could walk to work if need be, built in 1940's......while in the hospital I could look out and see my street. Interesting, the ambulance ride cost more than $1,000. While growing up my parents chose the schools for where to live, now we choose what medical care similarly!!
Old 03-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I wrote a post regarding the advantages / disadvantages of living in Florida, but I got logged out before I could post it. I'm not rewriting it. The Escape Forum needs a tune-up.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I wrote a post regarding the advantages / disadvantages of living in Florida, but I got logged out before I could post it. I'm not rewriting it. The Escape Forum needs a tune-up.
Contact an administrator, Janet......
Old 03-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #10

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Its fun to fantasize about living abroad in a "tropical paradise" like Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, etc. Lots of stuff online about "living on $XXXX a month" in an ex-pat community.

Realistically though, I can't ever see us leaving family, friends and the relaxed, safe community we've lived in for 30+ years no matter how much cheaper some place else may be. Also, where and who would I play Pickleball with??

I do understand those that want to get out of the hustle-bustle of NYC, LA, etc. for someplace more sedate.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
Its fun to fantasize about living abroad in a "tropical paradise" like Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, etc. Lots of stuff online about "living on $XXXX a month" in an ex-pat community.

Realistically though, I can't ever see us leaving family, friends and the relaxed, safe community we've lived in for 30+ years no matter how much cheaper some place else may be. Also, where and who would I play Pickleball with??

I do understand those that want to get out of the hustle-bustle of NYC, LA, etc. for someplace more sedate.
Hi: huskersteffy... We live in a pair a dice. No matter where you are life is a gamble!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Realistically though, I can't ever see us leaving family, friends and the relaxed, safe community we've lived in for 30+ years no matter how much cheaper some place else may be.

This is why I moved from Maryland back home to Florida when I retired. On my daily walk on a road through the fields the farmers will wave as they drive by. I smile and wave back. One day one of them stopped, rolled down his window and said, "I like to see you smile. It reminds me of your mother." It's home.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #13

Certain small “perks” sometimes develop when you live in an area for a long time as well as certain things that you don’t especially care for. Personally we live within 15 miles of where we were born, have lived as far as several states distant but returned home 43 years ago. As penned many years ago in our home town’s song of dedication. “No matter where I roam, I’ll still call Cedar Rapids my my home. Or something pretty cheesy like that.
My Landscape architect and I sited a memorial stone so that anyone reading the inscription could look up and be directly facing a huge smokestack that was a part of the Wilson’s Packing Plant. We thought it appropriate. However, in later years the closed packing house was torn down along with the smokestack. Then we were criticized by the unknowing for not being symmetrical in our siting with other monuments. Then the town flooded with 10,000 homes in the water. and the park was torn out and covered by a huge flood protection berm. Things and times change.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Staying close to home

Doc, an elderly bachelor who lived next door to us was a true homebody. All his life he slept in the bed he was born in. Oh, new fixins' for the bed over time, but the same set-up.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #15

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:

I have had several friends become ex-pats, one in Columbia and the others in Panama. I still live in the house where we raised the kids and now are empty nesters. Live in the city limits of Chicago but am 1/4 mile to the border of two suburbs where I can walk to shopping and not to far from a really nice park.

Illinois also doesn't tax pensions, Social Security or IRAs, so in retirement that's not so bad. I pay way lower property taxes then suburban friends but that comes from the city's broader tax base. I can't complain but I still do, I'm retired what else is there to do, Now get off my lawn.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #16

And don’t be riding your bicycles on my drive or sledding on my hill. Hey Steven, good to hear from you. Hope to cross paths sometime this season. Planted 100 garlic last fall and planning on lots of vegetables this summer. A couple new Pepper varieties I hope.
All my best
Iowa Dave
Old 03-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Ideal Retirement Locations

What's ideal to someone is not ideal to someone else.
Before I moved from Cincinnati area to Southeastern Nevada, I put together a spreadsheet with criteria of MY ideal retirement location. Some of the criteria were:
no State income tax, no snow, no humidity, no tornadoes/hurricanes, no bugs (specifically mosquitoes), a +55 restricted community, little to no crime, mild winters, etc.

As can be seen from my criteria it was easy to eliminate many States. Once we decided on Nevada we had to decide where in Nevada. The Northern part of the state was ruled out because it snows there, and the winters aren't mild. That left the Southern part of Nevada. The crime in Las Vegas is terrible, as is the traffic, and at some point Lake Mead (Las Vegas' water supply) will be dry. We ended up in Mesquite, Nevada. All of our criteria were met.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I am reminded of the (pick your own ethnic/racial identity) who heard on the radio that most accidents occur within 25 miles of home. So he moved...

I try to remind myself every day not to take myself too seriously. Tempus fugit.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I am reminded of the (pick your own ethnic/racial identity) who heard on the radio that most accidents occur within 25 miles of home. So he moved...

I try to remind myself every day not to take myself too seriously. Tempus fugit.
Good one.....
Old 03-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
A ten thousand pound cottonwood limb in a windstorm will kill you dead.
Iowa Dave
In my neck of the woods, we call em 'Widow Makers'.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote