This day - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
This day

Before the day goes by completely I felt it should be mentioned that 75 years ago today Allied Forces landed on the beaches or Normandy. Many made the supreme sacrifice, many were wounded but fought on and the ones who were “lucky” fought on with what we know now as PTSD for the rest of their lives. I thank these men and the families, wives and girlfriends who supported them back home for as long as they lived. I’ve met a few D-Day, “Day one” veterans and many more who landed in the next few days. I salute them all.
Here’s my mom and dad in 1943 before he shipped out from Indian Town Gap, near Harrisburg PA with the Third Armored Division (Spearhead), 32nd Armored regiment , company B (Oriole). Their motto: “Victory or Death”.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
0CD10A5D-57DE-48B6-96FB-8EFD1E345386.jpg  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My Dad's POW metal. He was the pilot of The Dutchess, a B-24 Liberator and part of the 34th Bomb Group in preparation of Normandy when his plane was shot down. He came home with some serious health issues from his time as a POW and I feel certain those health issues hastened his death at age 60. I'm forever grateful, not just for my Dad's service, but all those that served. Grateful forever and ever.

I've erased his last name. You don't know mine, you aren't going to know his either. Just think of him as with MANY that served to keep the world free. THIS day we commemorate the anniversary of D-Day.... NOT celebrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Dads-POW-Metal.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave, Indiantown Gap military reservation is about an hour away from me and there are some nice cg's in the area. If you ever venture this way would love to camp next to you
Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Your backyard

Hi Jim, sorry I got the date off by a day. Regardless, they were all heroes, including those in the factories in the United States and Canada. With 32,000 miles on the Highlander in 13 months you never know when we will be in Pennsylvania or anywhere else. My folks were married in Harrisburg in 1943 before my dad shipped out. I have a couple great lithograph postcards from Pennsylvania here somewhere including a
Train on Horseshoe Bend. I think that’s in PA Isn’t it?
Iowa Dave
Old 06-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

Yeppers, near Altoona- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses..._(Pennsylvania)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
My father (now aged 91) was too young to serve (he was 16 at the time), but just yesterday he told me that he distinctly remembers being in the garden of his house in Hounslow, West London. and looking up and seeing a very large number of aircraft flying in a southerly direction, most were Spitfires. He said that he called to his mother saying that something was happening. It was only later on the BBC Radio evening news that there was an announcement to say that the invasion had started. What he also did not know on that day 75 years ago was that his brother (pictured in a British Royal Navy uniform in an attached family photo from the time), had landed on Sword Beach as part of Royal Naval Party 1569. He was involved in mine and bomb clearance, including clearing houses of Nazi dirty tricks and booby traps. Fortunately, he survived, but never talked about it. My father, the youngest is top left in the photo.

It is a day to be thankful for all those that served.
Attached Thumbnails
1942 about Young Family.JPG  
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

great picture, thanks for sharing....
Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #8

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...He came home with some serious health issues from his time as a POW and I feel certain those health issues hastened his death at age 60. I'm forever grateful, not just for my Dad's service, but all those that served. Grateful forever and ever.
My father as well was a WWII combatant who died too early at 64. He sustained a wound in combat so was a Purple Heart recipient and was awarded three Bronze Stars. I think of him often as well as my older brother who served two combat tours of duty in Vietnam. My brother is 100% service-connected disability and has the lasting legacy of PTSD, cancer and heart disease from Agent Orange exposure.

And now we have another generation of wounded warriors.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Because my Dad was an officer, his 'job' as a POW was to escape. And he did, three times. Twice he was recaptured and I can't imagine the horrors that were inflicted on him. He would never talk about it. The third time he made it back to the Allied lines and even though his body was broken, he wanted back to pilot a plane and continue the fight. By time his body was healthy enough, the war was over. Five years later, he was sent to the Korean conflict. WAR IS HELL!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Grandfather was Navy, served in the Spanish American war through WWII. He was a midshipmen on wooden ships, served on battleships and commanded aircraft carriers. He finished his career in Washington during and after WWII.
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
My father didn't serve in the Army as such but as a British engineer he helped repair bridges and rail lines destroyed in France during the war. Beth's grandfather was too young to serve in the first war, then too old in the second. He was a Toronto policeman who supposedly never was promoted because he had not served. We are grateful to now have a son-in-law who continues to serve after fifteen years with frequent deployments.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
I want to honor my Dad. He went when his country called him to serve. He crossed from England to France shortly after D-day, running communications for the Army Air Corps on airbases for fighter planes. As soon as the infantry could capture a new airbase they moved forward to get the planes closer to the front. When it finally ended they asked him to stay and offered a big promotion. He responded "I want to go home to Tennessee".

Our world would be a different place if they hadn't done what they did.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote