Time for a New Truck - Again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Time for a New Truck - Again

Can't believe it's been 3 years and our 2nd F150 since we bought our 19, but our lease is up again. Headed to the dealer Friday. We'll likely get the same equipment, since it's worked out so well over the years. The only must haves are the Ecoboost, the 36 gallon tank, the tow package, the integrated brake controller, and the bigger folding tow mirrors. I like the new white color called "space white". Anyone here have that color?
Old 03-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Interested in your follow up and what they can provide. I'm hearing all trucks are in short supply with the chip issue right now.
Thinking of switching to leasing on our next one when it's time.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The only must haves are the Ecoboost, the 36 gallon tank, the tow package, the integrated brake controller, and the bigger folding tow mirrors.
Have you looked at the F150s Onboard Generator?

5 Fun Facts About the 2021 F-150’s Onboard Generator
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We are getting 2021 F150 with PowerBoost and 7.2kW generator. Looking forward to it. While a 2 kW generator generator with available with every 2021 F150 with gasoline engine, 7.2kW is only available with the hybrid Powerboost engine. The negatives of the PB engine are:
(a) it is heavy and costs in payload.
(b) Mileage savings are mixed - you can get good mileage while not towing but mileage while towing is unclear.
So, for mileage alone - it is not quite the no brainer. With the 7.2kW generator - it is, for us.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Yes, the generators are very interesting. Ford though has done quite a bit of package shuffling which I don't like. In order to get x, you have to get y and z. Used to be much simpler and easier to make a build sheet and only get the items you really wanted. Now, in order to get those, the price shoots up quite dramatically. I'm looking at 57K MSRP. Not paying MSRP, but it does show how the price of the truck keeps climbing. The MSRP on my current truck was 52K even, and it's very well equipped, at least for my needs.

Now add to that some more inexplicable news. The lease rate in 2018 was 3%. For some completely unexpected and unexplained reason, it's now 5.37%? What? That's enough for me to look at another make of truck. I'm serious. Been a Ford guy for decades, but that rate is robbery.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
The lease rate in 2018 was 3%. For some completely unexpected and unexplained reason, it's now 5.37%? What?
You can get a purchase loan for a fraction of that rate.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I lucked up and found a very lightly used 2018 F150 XLT, 4x4 with max tow package. It had only 17,000 miles on it. Ended up paying 32K, which was 20K less than the MSRP when new.

We however are folks who drive our vehicles 10 years or more. We drove my wife's previous Avalon 300,000+ miles, and then gave it to my mom, which she is still driving.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
You can get a purchase loan for a fraction of that rate.
For sure, but that defeats the purpose of a lease. Purchasing would mean much higher payments and much longer terms. Think of it this way: my residual is 34K. That 34K would have been part of the original financing, had it been a purchase. Also, I'd have had to add thousands in sales tax. I fully understand the pros and cons of leasing vs purchasing. For us, the lease has worked out well, up till now.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Can't believe it's been 3 years and our 2nd F150 since we bought our 19, but our lease is up again. Headed to the dealer Friday. We'll likely get the same equipment, since it's worked out so well over the years. The only must haves are the Ecoboost, the 36 gallon tank, the tow package, the integrated brake controller, and the bigger folding tow mirrors. I like the new white color called "space white". Anyone here have that color?
Hey one quick note about those mirrors...my last F150 had all the options above except for the mirrors, but I replaced them very easily myself with the bigger ones. I know it's a lease, but you could just swap them out for the stock again if you need to at the end of the lease. Just saying, don't rule one out if it's got the smaller mirrors...
Old 03-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Yes, the generators are very interesting. Ford though has done quite a bit of package shuffling which I don't like. In order to get x, you have to get y and z. Used to be much simpler and easier to make a build sheet and only get the items you really wanted. Now, in order to get those, the price shoots up quite dramatically. I'm looking at 57K MSRP. Not paying MSRP, but it does show how the price of the truck keeps climbing. The MSRP on my current truck was 52K even, and it's very well equipped, at least for my needs.

Now add to that some more inexplicable news. The lease rate in 2018 was 3%. For some completely unexpected and unexplained reason, it's now 5.37%? What? That's enough for me to look at another make of truck. I'm serious. Been a Ford guy for decades, but that rate is robbery.
Hi: rbryan4... Sounds like it's time for a change. Is that a national lease rate or just a dealer lease rate? Sounds like they figure rates are about to take a leap over the next lease period. Even leases require some shopping around. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I really wish Ford didn't refer to these power supplies as "generators"; they're inverters, converting power from the truck's battery (which battery depends on the version) to AC power. Of course there's a generator: it's the alternator that the truck always has, or perhaps the hybrid system motor/generator (depending on which version of powertrain the truck has). The Pro Power Onboard system is a nice feature, especially in the hybrid truck... it's just poorly described.

By the way, Toyota has this feature, too. In their plug-in hybrid RAV4 Prime, it has only 1500 W output but like the F-150 Hybrid Pro Power system it can run indefinitely, starting the engine only occasionally as required to recharge the hybrid system battery. Since the RAV4 Prime is a plug-in hybrid it has a much larger battery (ten times the capacity of the F-150 Hybrid), so it can run for several hours between starts even if using the full 1500 watt output continuously. The F-150 system even in a hybrid will only go for a few minutes at 1500 watts before needing to start the engine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #12

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
My friend has the white and it looks pretty sharp.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I have Metallic white on my 2016 F150...
Old 03-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #14

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Now add to that some more inexplicable news. The lease rate in 2018 was 3%. For some completely unexpected and unexplained reason, it's now 5.37%? What?”
You want to buy the best selling vehicle in North America just when it’s in short supply.
Your negotiating position is very, very weak.
If you aren’t willing pay the price the dealer wants, someone else will. Why should they discount a hot product in short supply?

Bite the bullet and get what you really want; a new F 150.

Look at the fiberglass trailer market. You can pay the asking price or do without.

Reality in a hot market.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
You want to buy the best selling vehicle in North America just when it’s in short supply.
Your negotiating position is very, very weak.
If you aren’t willing pay the price the dealer wants, someone else will. Why should they discount a hot product in short supply?

Bite the bullet and get what you really want; a new F 150.

Look at the fiberglass trailer market. You can pay the asking price or do without.

Reality in a hot market.
It's not the price, Ed (or in this case the agreed upon market value since its a lease). My dealer takes care of me regarding that, and always has. I've bought (or leased) numerous vehicles from the same guy. No, it's the lease rate that Ford is quoting him. Ridiculous.

In order to lower the "bite" of that bullet as much as possible, I'll likely extend the current lease for a few months and just order the exact vehicle I need. Hopefully the lease terms will be a bit better by then, but if not at least I'm not paying for options I don't want or need.

EDIT: coming to find out that the lease terms for the 2021 F150 are pretty bad nationwide. Lots of articles from car and truck magazines complaining about it. I had no idea.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021
I have similar f150, 3.5 max tow package. Do you use wdh ? Thx
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #17

Trailer: ?
EDIT: coming to find out that the lease terms for the 2021 F150 are pretty bad nationwide. Lots of articles from car and truck magazines complaining about it. I had no idea.”

No surprise for a hot commodity.
Dealerships like leases over cash deals because there are more potential profit points. The agreed upon price, the residual value, the interest rate, the hope that your mileage will exceed the allowance and finally, upon return hitting you up for every scratch, dent, torn fabric, etc. With a cash deal they just get the agreed purchase price.

You commented on the interest rate. The finance company gives the dealer a rate based on a variety of information. The dealer then can add something for themselves. They keep the added amount.

And of course, the high pressure to buy the extended warranty.
Everything is negotiable, including the interest rate. Just less negotiable on a 2021 F-150.

Every add on bumps the salespersons commission of the deal.

Car shopping should be an enjoyable experience. For me it’s misery.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
I have similar f150, 3.5 max tow package. Do you use wdh ? Thx
Yes, we do use a WDH Johnny, although I've towed short distances without it and had no issues. The founder of ETI, Reace Harmatuik, recommended the Andersen WDH when I picked up the trailer, and he even installed it. It's been a good system for us. Since your truck has the max tow package, I would think you can try towing without any WDH. You will have a higher towing capacity, and a higher max tongue weight than I do. Remember, the purpose of a WDH is to redistribute weight from the rear axle of your tow vehicle to the front axle, using leverage. In your case, you may not need to redistribute anything.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey Rob- ever consider(at this point with crappy lease rates) a mildly used post April build 2019 or 2020? Crunch those #'s- might be surprised. Post April '19 is when they changed cam phasers.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey Rob- ever consider(at this point with crappy lease rates) a mildly used post April build 2019 or 2020? Crunch those #'s- might be surprised. Post April '19 is when they changed cam phasers.
Yes. As it turns out, I think my dealer found the right truck. It's a 2020 Lariat with more stuff than I need but all the stuff I wanted. The difference in price is pretty dramatic because of rebates and incentives. Basically it's more than 11 grand off. But in this case a purchase makes way more sense than a lease. Those incentives and rebates don't apply to the lease.

It's kind of rare when your purchase payment is substantially lower than your lease payment, but there it is.

I was hoping my dealer would come through for me again, and it looks like he might have.