US Army Musician's - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
US Army Musician's

I just finished watching a documentary with the Fox Christmas music. The US Army was doing the performing. The major band group was about 50 in number I would guess. Being a old soldier I checked their rank. Many E7's, E8's and 3 E9's in the group.

Three E9's (Sgt Maj) in a group of about 50. Incredible! This is the absolute best of the NCO's. It is very difficult to get a soldier promoted to this rank and requires an outstanding record. A Regimental Commander could not function without his SgtMaj. Been there, Done that!

I don't doubt that the band members have an excellent record but when an Infantry Regiment (about 1300-1400 strong) has maybe 6 Sgt Maj's, I gotta think something is wrong with this picture .

There was also a guitar quartet playing country music. The lead guitar was an E8. Very few Infantry soldiers achieve that rank.

What does this have to do with trailers, Nothing, But I feel better!
Old 12-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Maybe of interest ....

Note "Benefits" with mention of MOS42S “Special Band Musician” and promotion

Ensemble Rosters

I note 7 SGM among the 75 musicians in the U.S. Army Ceremonial Band Roster, just to pick one. Lots of long-serving and highly musically-trained individuals in that elite ensemble.

Whether the US Army Band or the US Army Field Band methinks these are somewhat 'unique' Commands (among doubtless many 'unique' Commands in the modern Army), nothing 'wrong with this [in the big] picture' IMO, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge any individual their rank or the unit's rank composition. I'm sure all of our military branches have to work hard to retain the Best in many occupational specialties against competitive civilian opportunities.

Obviously, YMMV (and apparently does!)
Old 12-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was at a 500 acre radio receiver station in southern Maryland in the late 60's. 55 men plus 12 civilian techs. The first sergeant was an E9 and we had an E8 upstairs in the main building who ran serious tech stuff. I always wondered why the place needed a SGM. Knew his beans, of course. Talking Signal Corps here. SMG was in his late 50's I think, a Korea Vet. You never messed with a SMG. Satellites then made the facility obsolete. We closed it my last year there and I was out. We lost touch, but I will never forget him..
Old 12-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Homer and Jethro were a musical comedy team from the 40’s to the 80’s. Jethro Burns was the mandolin player. He also played in the army band in the Pacific during world war 2. I got to produce a concert for him in 1988 in Philadelphia (you may remember them from Hee Haw). He told me a story that after a rather harrowing trip to perform a concert at an outer base on Okinawa, the band was shot up some. The next day though the Admiral of the Pacific fleet was at headquarters and the band was to play a concert accompanying a USO show. Jethro told me the last number was John Phillip Sousa’s The Stars and Stripes Forever (some thing I played a lot in band in high school including the trombone solo). Upon the last downbeat he said he was feeling a little mischievous and tagged the last measure on the guitar with the classic shave and a haircut two bits melody from vaudeville times. He told me the commander of the base called him in to his office (Jethro was a private) made him shut the door and looked real mad. Jethro said then he started laughing pulled a bottle of whiskey out and said son I haven’t laughed that much in 20years. Jethro was sure he was going to get court martialed when he walked in. True story. He was a character as well as a virtuoso musician.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I was Parks Director in Council Bluffs we had a Wednesday Night concert series in the City square (Bayliss Park). Each summer we had the 14 or 16 piece Ensemble from Offutt AFB across the river in for a concert in the park. I know very little about rank and what it takes to run a military operation but I know we drew large crowds for that concert every year. They were consummate musicians, great to work with and spread good will and respect wherever they went. In a world where injustice has become the norm in many circles, military bands are worth every dime taxpayers spend on them. Every school kid in this country needs a punch card proving they have attended several of these concerts before graduating. Just my opinion.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-26-2020, 04:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Not just in the military.

Do not overlook the power of music. Anywhere!

I think it is quite possible the presence of music in the lives of those achieved soldiers may have heavily contributed to their personal and professional development.

Nice post.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
When I lived in New Hampshire (many years ago) I had a couple of acquaintances in the 39th Army Band, a National Guard unit based at the armory in Manchester. They usually did their two-week annual training/summer camp in July around the 4th and would perform concerts around the state. It essentially was a non-combat specialty (morale boosting) unit. I also was good friends with the unit administrator, a full time employee (not a weekend warrior) who performed all the day-to-day administrative and supply tasks. I do not know about the active duty army band, but I do know that the rank of the band members in the 39th were determined by an “organizational blueprint” called a Table of Organization and Equipment.” It spelled out how many trumpets, tubas, clarinets, vehicles, etc. the unit could have and the total number of soldiers that could be in the unit, including the title of each one and the highest rank they could attain. I’m not sure, but I think each state has an army band as one of its National Guard units, and there are some in the Army Reserve also.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #8

I don't know what the ratio is now but some years back it took 8 support personnel to put one man in the field with a rifle.

All soldiers have a job to do and should be treated with respect.

When I saw the MSGT E8 playing a guitar it just got a bit sideways with me as I remembered one of the best platoon Sgt I ever knew had to retire because there were no promotions (to E8) to be had at the time.

This is a soldier who leads fighting men and teaches his brand new 2nd Lt how to be a leader. His departure was a huge loss for my Battalion.

I just vented a bit. Wish I hadn't now. I always liked our bands.

I agree with one of the previous posts. You DO NOT mess with the SGM!
Old 12-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 E19
We had a member of the Ft. Gordan post band who showed up as manpower on our daily report. We only saw him once a month, on payday. 1st Sergeant would complain about this poor guy on every payday. The rest of the NCOs were S.E. Asia returning short timers, they didn't show much warmth towards the guy. But then....If you wore a Campaign Hat, you didn't show much warmth toward anyone. 1968-1970
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Military musical groups- the official bands and orchestras- are recruited from musicians. It's like being in a different branch; they aren't in competition with the soldiers. Just saw an ad for a cellist for the USAF band. (If you have FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864...60562632968065). I also have a friend whose son is a flautist in one of the bands.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Military band members are restricted to Enlisted rank only. Officers can be directors, but not performers. I have two musician friends who did their careers in the Airmen of Note and the USN Commodores (the premier jazz bands), and one (a performer) retired E8 (USAF), the other, who led the band, retired a Commander.

Either the military considers it beneath the dignity of an officer to perform (or thinks it puts them at an unfair level with enlisted ranks), or they think it would be weird to have an E7 lead officers. Either way, the musicians get a great pay & benefit package, and a tremendous education /experience.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Military band members are restricted to Enlisted rank only. Officers can be directors, but not performers. I have two musician friends who did their careers in the Airmen of Note and the USN Commodores (the premier jazz bands), and one (a performer) retired E8 (USAF), the other, who led the band, retired a Commander.

Either the military considers it beneath the dignity of an officer to perform (or thinks it puts them at an unfair level with enlisted ranks), or they think it would be weird to have an E7 lead officers. Either way, the musicians get a great pay & benefit package, and a tremendous education /experience.
I had no problem with the Regimental Band. If the time came they would lay down their horn and pick up their rifle. All soldiers (bandsmen, clerks, cooks, etc...) are infantryman when necessary

The so called pro military musicians, jazz? country? I have no use for. I know where to go to listen to music. I don't need a pseudo-soldier to perform for me.

I know I am in the minority here. Most senior officers (staff) like them (Oh dear, I'll be late for the dance).

Check with the heart and soul of the infantry, the troops who carry rifles and engage the enemy. These are my people! See what their opinion of a M.Sgt. playing a guitar is while they try to dig down out of the line of fire with their fingernails.

I know I am very prejudiced here but as I said "These are my people." . They do not stop and think about a pro-musician. They just see the rank and are disgusted.

"A Commanding Officer does not eat, sleep, smoke or lean against a tree until each and every one of his men has had the opportunity to do these things". (Attributed to Field Marshall Montgomery).

Wish I had said that.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander

Sounds pretty good to this old man.
Iowa Dave