Well, I am officially "old".... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
For me the realization of "old " started the other day when my medicare
card came in the mail. Although 65 is still a few months away. I had to show it to my work companions and say "according to the US, now I am officially old".
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We are now over 65 and love getting senior discounts on the slopes! That said, I find scratches on my arms that don't heal quickly, or tripping more than usual. So far I caught myself. My mother, 94, hates to be treated like she is old and puts herself in scary (for me) situations such as climbing her ladder or tripping over obstacles. I think it is much better for me to take some precautions as getting older is sneaking up on me. That said, we still have fun and I need to learn to accept and even ask for help.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
As we get into our late 50's and early 60's most people we encounter are probably going to be younger, now this might not be the case if at age 55 you chose to move into a retirement community but would not think that would apply to most camping type personalities. I to was raised to help others and also encourage others to pay that kindness forward can only hope this is what is taught for generations to come.

Plus would agree yoga is something to look into.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Plus would agree yoga is something to look into.

I always liked him....
Attached Thumbnails
th.jpeg  
Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Getting old

I realized I was aging and my life was much different than my younger days when..........I was swapping cooking recipes with other fellows my age. It was like getting hit on the noggin with a hammer. Dude! What's up with that?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #26

Trailer: shopping
Yoga

Yoga....not for me. If you offered a good chocolate pudding you would have had me.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have made many a roadside stop to help folks over the years. Traffic is scarce on some of our roads here so help is always appreciated.

Most will offer payment for tire change or whatever, I always tell them to help the next fellow out and that is payment enough.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Helping others

My wife and I stopped to help two elderly ladies with a flat tire one Sunday morning. They were on their way to church. Only took a few minutes. Once done they tried to pay me. I declined the money and in a solemn voice asked them if they would pray for me that day as I didn’t think I’d make church. ( or in the next decade for that matter). I think they did and it has helped me all these years.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
For me, getting old is not reaching a particular number but reaching a stage of life where I no longer have any meaningful things to do. This is the great failure of nursing homes. If you aren't artsy, opportunities to engage in purposeful activities are few and far between.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #30

Perhaps a rally/meet for those of us over 60 or even 70, play scrabble all day, chess in evening, compare medications we are taking and the side effects could be the topic of the day. We can share ideas how to save on health insurance, and perhaps a discussion around the campfire on writing your own will..... Anyone interested
Old 01-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps a rally/meet for those of us over 60 or even 70, play scrabble all day, chess in evening, compare medications we are taking and the side effects could be the topic of the day. We can share ideas how to save on health insurance, and perhaps a discussion around the campfire on writing your own will..... Anyone interested
What about discussing BM's as well
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Forgot about that one, oh yeah, best brand of diapers....
Old 01-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
One of my favorite topics! I am running in the BM (Boston Marathon) on April 20 this year.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #34

At my 50th High School reunion. I had the opportunity to communicate with a lot of my old classmates. I was struck by their willingness to discuss their medical repairs their bodies had undergone. I promised myself that if I made reunion #55 I would have a matrix developed which I could quickly mark up for categories mentioned. Most commonly mentioned knee scopes. Knee replacements, hip replacements, pacemakers, stents, and arterial blockages. Cataract surgery, hearing aids, and back surgery were not far behind. The next morning at the cleanup I was lucky enough to be in the right place to grab and pull one of the guys out of the way of a pickup that would have easily backed over him because the driver did not look before putting it in reverse. He was a big guy but luckily I was still strong enough to get it done. It was pretty quiet as we stacked the chairs into the pickup for return to the Legion. Any mobility I can maintain is a gift these days that’s why I crank the stabilizers down by hand.
On a serious note, wills, trusts, property and real estate succession, final resting place and or cremation are all interesting topics to many who can “handle” the discussion.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #35

I want to be buried near Iowa Dave as I for see him always making me laugh.........
Old 01-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #36

Hi Jim
I worked in a grey iron foundry on the pouring floor and casting knockout from the sand moulds when I was 18-20. It was 135 Degrees F in these areas. Later I worked on the hog kill floor of the packing house. I fed hogs onto the rail before they went through the adjacent hair singeing burners. I figured if my life went wrong I’d be ready for a trip to Hell in the afterlife. So choose wisely, I’ve done a lot of jobs but was never a choir boy.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Forgot about that one, oh yeah, best brand of diapers....
Hi: cpaharley2008... Depends?
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #38

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here is what I did. Warning, balance test ahead! NOTICE: NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!

Get an electronic skateboard. Takes about an hour to get off of beginner speed. Actually quite easy! Then I started ripping around the neighborhood. About 10 MPH. Not a big deal. Great brakes!!!

I have jumped off several time but I have not fallen once. Got all the safety protection. Totally wonderful!!!

Totally fun, once you get the muscle groups worked out. If you get fatigued, just stop and wait for things to calm down. You have to build up your muscle group strength. Not hard!

Not for everyone, but GREAT fun and a GREAT way to get around. You can easily, in control (I always stop for people that are perplexed by this, including dogs) you can cruise around your local streets. Streets seem to be more fun than bike paths. What a great way to get around campgrounds. Totally silent. Nothing but electricity.

I feel 20 years younger.

I know there will be people that object to the very idea (in principle), but this is quiet fun!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
And bladders, don't forget about bladders.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
For those over 60, how about hiking, biking, working at stuff, sight seeing, bocce, Frisbee tossing, and active stuff like that during the day? Much better health wise.

Evenings around the fire is a great time for silly chatting, music and of course a cocktail or five.

Am I weird and off base? LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote